CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #21
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Tennis Elbow

Supinators will always be stronger than pronators because the biceps supinates the forearm and it's a massive muscle compared to all of the others as you noted.

I just like throwing the book at the forearms and using rick bucket to strengthen them because it hits every muscle and you can use it both pronated and supinated
Old 04-25-2012, 08:55 AM   #22
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Supinators will always be stronger than pronators because the biceps supinates the forearm and it's a massive muscle compared to all of the others as you noted.

I just like throwing the book at the forearms and using rick bucket to strengthen them because it hits every muscle and you can use it both pronated and supinated
I have the rice bucket Steven but not using it

When I do the circles, though, my natural instinct is to do them as big as possible and for this, my forearm actually pronates/supinates in the process!

So I am curious as to what you mean when you say you can use it in both pronation and supination. You mean doing circles with your fist while purposely maintaining a pronated forearm, and then, in another set perhaps, do them with a supinated forearm??
Old 04-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #23
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Steven let me add:

today I woke up and my left, only my left forearm has the deep soreness I remember feeling when working Pronation/Supination with a sledgehammer. Wow, it's such an unusual soreness, like deep between the two forearm bones, LOL. It shall go away once I'm used to it.

Now, what's interesting to meis that myright arm is fine! And I did the exact same workout on both hands. Just 3 sets of each from the same distance on the handle. I am stronger on the right of course. The only difference I can think of, is that I have played some tennis, about 3x in the past two weeks. I am right handed and have a one-handed backhand so, yeah, I can see how between the forehand and backhand strokes, lots of hits at the net, overhead smashes, and Slices.... I can see how my right arm is more used to this type of work. But for the left, it's like new training that had NEVER been done before. Mind you I have been doing Wrist Extensions with a DB several days a week for 3 sets, plus the regular workouts with DB's and whatnot, so it's not like I never use the left hand, yet the pronation/supination work caused epic soreness. I think I am onto something here.

Steven: I didthe rice bucket today, circles with my fists in both directions, clock-wise and anti-clockwise. I am really unsure as it's efficcy compared to the sledgehammer because you will be limited by the weakest portion of the movement, so while the resistance might be appropiate for a certain part of the ROM, it might not be for another? What are your thoughts on this?

I will give you one thing though: it causes the biggest forearm pumps of all forearm exercises. You seem right in that it seems to work EVERY muscle in there.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #24
Steven Low

Profile:

I meant that you want to keep the arm in supination... and work the wrist

Then keep it in pronation and do circles

Then you can do circles where you move into supination

And circles you move into pronation

So you're going to hit end ROM sup/pro and you're also going to hit movements of supin/pro

Make sense?
Old 04-26-2012, 07:22 AM   #25
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
I meant that you want to keep the arm in supination... and work the wrist

Then keep it in pronation and do circles

Then you can do circles where you move into supination

And circles you move into pronation

So you're going to hit end ROM sup/pro and you're also going to hit movements of supin/pro

Make sense?
Yes, I get it. I will do it like that next time.