CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 06-14-2006, 07:30 AM   #1
Jeremy Froley

Profile:
Good question!! I am definitely a goal setter in all aspects of my life (as one could tell by all the written goals on the bulletin board at my house!!!) and training is no different. At the beginning of the year i set a bunch of goals which i've reached most of. They weren't terribly specific, but mostly involved progressing my training from a segmented, bodybuilding approach to a functional approach. I guess since it's about half way through the year, i should look at what i want to accomplish (at least in terms of training) by the end. here goes:

1. Improve diet..A LOT. This one was on the beginning of the year list and hasn't happened at all. I basically eat anything and remain around 10% BF, but that's not cutting it. My weakness is sugar and every time i try to fix things, i end up eating far too few calories. I need to clean it up in some systematic way not only to get leaner, but for health. Honestly, even though my performance has improved, i feel crappy and my physique hasn't improved as much as i'd like.

2. Another goal i had at the beginning was to improve my lean mass and density. Before crossfit i had virtual muscle..a lot of pump! Now i can see it improving(muscular density), but i'm still below the weight i feel best at. 195-205 is where i do best from a standpoint of feeling good and performing well. Right now i feel weak with most of the lifts, even though they are going up. I realize this goal ties into #1.

3. Work harder on the WODs. Don't get me wrong, I work hard now, but there are too many that i feel i have a little left in the tank afterward. I want to really push it more.

4. I want to add more supplemental work in. I'm talking about more handstand practice, L-sits and that kind of stuff.

5. Try to improve all areas of performance...time on timed WODs, rounds on those WODs and strength on ME days.

6. Work in a new sport at some point. I would really like to get involved in some kind of combat sport, but it's so damn expensive and training times are always at the times i work. I will try to find something though. I'm a huge fan of the MMA stuff and would love to learn it. I just don't have the experience that most of you do. I was a high school wrestler and that is it. I enjoy the groud stuff, but really want to box as well. We'll see what happens. I'm planning a move to southern california in August (that's where i'm from), so maybe i'll have more options down there.

7. Eat more big macs and ice cream until i look like Anthony's avatar!!!

***These were all off the top of my head, so i may revise them to include more detail in the next few days!!

Any and all suggestions are welcome!!
Old 06-14-2006, 09:38 AM   #2
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
I think I'm going to collect all the "standards" documents that have been floating around and pick the exercises that I think will benefit me, then come up with some goals.

1RM for things like squats, deadlifts, cleans, bench, press, etc. are obvious, but I also want to account for things like ring dips, muscle ups, pistols, fran, running, rowing, swimming, etc.

I'll come up with a list this weekend and let you know how it goes.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:46 PM   #3
Jeremy Froley

Profile:
Wednesday 060614

CFWU (minus pull-ups) x 1

Complete as many rounds as you can in twenty minutes of:
65 pound Hang squat clean, 12 reps
7 Pull-ups

subs = none
rounds = 10 + 9 hang squat cleans

This looked so simple on paper...key word being looked!! Forearms....hurt....bad!!!! Other than that, i was just slacking. I was covered in sweat which was killing my pull-up grip and every time i got to panting real hard i would just rest a bit. I'm now ****ed at myself!! If i would have just pushed through a couple of those rests i'd have been good for 12 rounds.

Anthony - Looking forward to seeing that list. I agree, definitely the 1RM on the big stuff is a given priority, but i, too, want to work on some other things, such as: pistols, handstands, and L-muscle-ups.

Old 06-19-2006, 02:47 PM   #4
Jeremy Froley

Profile:
Well, i haven't posted in 4 days, but i haven't missed any workouts either! I'll try to make a long story short:

I drove from my home in sacramento to las vegas on thursday for the ISSN conference. I planned on just doing whatever WODs that i could whether at a gym or in my room. I even brought a few Kbs, and jumprope, etc. Also brought my powerbook to post what i did while out of town. Well, the plan didn't go as well as i hoped. The 9.5 hour drive had a bunch of traffic and took 11 hours. I got to LV at 8:30 pm. I checked into my room (Stardust hotel on the strip) and went searching for a gym. I hadn't eaten since 2 pm, but somehow was still pumped up to attempt "Daniel". I found a 24 hour fitness to attempt my task. It worked out pretty well. This was one of the biggest 24 hours i've seen, but was complete with muscleheads!! I forgive the muscleheads, though, since i used to think that the same thing counted as fitness. On to the workout:

Thursday 060615

CFWU(minus pull-ups) x 2

"Daniel"

For time:
50 Pull-ups
400 meter run
95 pound Thruster, 21 reps
800 meter run
95 pound Thruster, 21 reps
400 meter run
50 Pull-ups

subs = had to use a treadmill for running
time = 30:32

It went pretty well. This was the first time i've run on a treadmill and it sucked!!! Good news was that the treadmills were right next to the pull-up bars. Bad news was that the "free weight room" was all the way across the gym (which was about 60 yards in this facility). So, transition time was a lot!! Also lost a bunch of time on the treadmill getting the thing up to speed!! Overall, the workout went great!! I was tired, hungry, treadmills suck and thrusters were all the way across the gym, but i felt great afterwards!!!

So i had some dinner afterwards and went back to the hotel to post my workout. Nope, wasn't going to happen. This damn Las Vegas hotel wanted an additional $20/day for internet access!!! I nearly choked the lady!!! $90 per night for the room and i can't use the internet!! And this in a town that tries to attract business people and conventions. I was appaled. I can get free internet at the Holiday Inn!!! So anyway, that is why nothing has been posted. I just kept a log on paper to post later...which is now. On to the next days......

Old 06-19-2006, 02:54 PM   #5
Jeremy Froley

Profile:
Friday 060616

CFWU x 2

Deadlift 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps

135 x 5
225 x 1
275 x 1
315 x 1
365 x 1
390 x 1
410 x 1
430 x 1
**all weights in lbs.

After a long day in the conference, i went to the 24 hour fitness again to hit the DLs. Let me say that i hate Deadlifting at 24 hour and think it's dangerous. I also did not have chalk...which sucked bad!! They have these stupid 8 sided plates that don't roll and can really throw you off if you catch an edge setting the weight down. I've seen some people hurt their back pretty good attempting it with these. So...i grabbed some mats from the aerobics room to try and alleviate the issue. It seemed to work. Anyway, the workout went alright. I was very tired and my body didn't feel like pushing it too hard. I took it easy until the last 2 sets. I tried for some respectable weights on the last 2 and they went up, but grip was failing and causing me to round a bit. This was not the day for me to try to set PR's!!!

Old 06-19-2006, 02:59 PM   #6
Jeremy Froley

Profile:
So i spent another 9.5 long hours driving home and got back in sacramento at 5 pm. I was determined to do my front squats even though it was not the best idea. My lower back was very sore from the deads and i was tight from sitting in the car all day. I just knew i would feel better having found a way to complete my workouts even faced with traveling..and i do feel very good about it. Got to the gym at 6 and gave it my best..

Sunday 060618

CFWU x 2

Front Squat 3-3-3-3-3-3-3 reps

95 x 5
135 x 3
185 x 3
205 x 3
215 x 3
225 x 3
235 x 3
240 x 3 Very ugly!!!

**all weights in lbs.

The 240 was hideous!! My back was so sore that i couldn't keep my back very tight on the last rep. I got it up, but next time i'll be smart and just stop the set.

Now back to my regular schedule...

Old 06-19-2006, 03:26 PM   #7
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
430x1 without chalk is pretty impressive. Did you use a mixed grip? That can help a lot. Good to see you stuck with the routine despite the travel! I know LOTS of people who would just write it off!
Old 06-19-2006, 10:47 PM   #8
Jeremy Froley

Profile:
Monday 060619

WU - 3 rounds of:
25 double unders
10 shoulder dislocates
10 front leg kicks

"Barbara"

Five rounds, each for time of:
20 Pull-ups
30 Push-ups
40 Sit-ups
50 Squats

Rest precisely three minutes between each round.

times =
rd. 1 - 4:04
rd. 2 - 6:00
rd. 3 - 6:46
rd. 4 - 6:25
rd. 5 - 7:01

Good workout!! This is the closest i've come to puking since my first date with Fran!! Sit-ups were definitely where i lost time and i'm not sure why...could have been the queasy feeling in my stomach though!!!

Anthony -thanks for the comments, man!!!! i am quite happy that i stuck with the routine. I've come to believe that consistency may be more important than anything in reaching goals, so i refuse to miss a workout just because it's "inconvenient". I realized that i may not be able to follow the WODs as rx'd being in a commercial gym, but i prepared for that. With CF, there's no reason to miss a workout....half of what we do requires little or no equipment!! I was fully prepared to make up my own workouts, but i got lucky!! Yes, i use a mixed grip. It definitely helps, but i just felt some slipping on those heavy sets that i don't with chalk...could have been just overall fatigue, though. I usually go with the mixed grip once i get over 275.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:54 AM   #9
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Do your round times include the 3 minute break? Don't take that as an insult, I just figured you would have kicked my *** at Barbara!
Old 06-20-2006, 11:28 PM   #10
Jeremy Froley

Profile:
Tuesday 060620

"Tabata Something Else"

Complete 32 intervals of 20 seconds of work followed by ten seconds of rest where the first 8 intervals are pull-ups, the second 8 are push-ups, the third 8 intervals are sit-ups, and finally, the last 8 intervals are squats. There is no rest between exercises.

Post total reps from all 32 intervals to comments.

pull-ups -14,8,5,3,4,4,3,4 = 45
push-ups - 23,16,10,10,9,9,9,8 = 94
sit-ups - 12,11,10,9,9,8,9,9 = 77
squats - 19,19,17,16,17,16,15,15 = 134

total reps = 350

comments- it was really hard to get motivated to do essentially the same thing as yesterday. The abs were extremely sore as were my front delts. My reps pretty much sucked and i'm anxious to try this again when i haven't destroyed the muscles with the exact same movements the day before. I know GPP means being ready for anything, but i get competitive and it didn't allow for my best showing!!!

As a note, all pull-ups were done pronated. I have been doing supinated for awhile and need to change it. I feel they are falling behind and i get more upper back stimulation from the pronated grip..which i definitely need!!

Anthony - Unfortunately the times didn't include the 3 min rest. They were just slow!! Pull-ups and push-ups were fast, but abs were VERY slow. I just got an abmat and these dramatically slow down sit-ups!!! The pain in the abdominals is ten fold of a regular sit-up without it. This is what killed me. I'm happy about the mat, though. As i get the abs stronger at using it, the numbers will surely improve. Also, i went pronated on the pull-ups, which is quite a bit slower than i can do supinated.