CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:30 AM   #1
Tricia Grunwaldt

Profile:
Including general public/inexperienced in a throwdown

What's everyone's thoughts on how to safely and effectively do this? I think with spring coming, having an outdoor friendly team competition open to anyone would be fun and beneficial for us to gain new members BUT I worry about CrossFit virgins jumping into a WOD, much less a competition with no knowledge of lifts and movements. Leave out lifting? Require at least 1 experienced CF'er per team? Give me some ideas- I know it has bee done.
Thanks!
Old 03-06-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
Mike Doehla

Profile:
Re: Including general public/inexperienced in a throwdown

IMO you either market it as a "cf type comp" and include Cf style movements or you make it something anyone can do. Seems like you want to attract non cfers so you may want to do easier movements but still enough for someone to look at it and say "oh that's cf"
Old 03-07-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

Have a strong liability release prepared and make everyone sign it.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:02 AM   #4
Brian Diez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric R Cohen View Post
Have a strong liability release prepared and make everyone sign it.
I agree. I would also record the events (for insurance reasons) and have EMT's present, just in case.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
Brian Strump

Profile:

Why can't you do events outdoors for them to watch only. If this competition is going to be more than 10-12 minutes of a workout, and be multiple workouts over a few hours, I think this is a bad, bad idea from a marketing perspective.

Even decent (looking) conditioned people may puke 5 mins into an 8min AMRAP of "Cindy". Or if they make it, they can't walk for 2-3 days.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:48 PM   #6
Michael Stoll

Profile:

I agree with Brian; let them watch, that's probably enough to whet their whistle and get them interested in CrossFit without risking what might happen with an overzealous workout.

If they want to CrossFit, have them come to a free WOD that's scaled down to their level. Or have them come to a regular class and scale the WOD down there, when you or your trainer can keep an eye on them.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:29 AM   #7
Drew Armstrong

Profile:

You could also have the throw down for the experienced and then do a sort of "half time show" to have the newbies try it out. But i would do all the things the above post have said. Also, scale movements way back and require breaks.

Before the beginners wod, explain to them why they need to take breaks and how to strategize a wod.

Just a thought.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #8
Corey Coleman

Profile:

Not that it would work for a competition, but we are setting up our grand opening community wide workout to offer rewards based on participation and a drawing rather than a direct "winner". I feel as though this aids in the implementation of adequate relative intensity without alienating potential clients and keeps people from feeling like all we are is a sport or competition. Bottom line is there are definitely ways to integrate the Non-enlightened community into things... Our goal was just to prevent injury, saving the communities reputation, and to prevent newcomers from feeling like outsiders being judged by those in the know.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:23 AM   #9
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

It seems this is becoming a recurring theme and dividing line in the community these days... Coaches/people with good intentions want to make CF Competitions as accessible as, say, running/walking a 5k.

I would highly advise against this. Do a community workout day with no prizes or judging instead, with really simple and accessible movements that you can keep teaching while the workout is going on.

Almost every movement in CrossFit requires a degree of skill (not to mention mobility). Skill that is unfortunately not often taught, experienced, or taken for granted in daily life like walking or even running. Skills that also carry a certain stigma due to their outsider status. Weightlifting is still not looked upon favorably by the general public and by plenty of "experts" as well. No one will blame you for not teaching them how to walk or even run properly (even though proper running is a fairly advanced skill) when they register for a local running event and they experience pain or injury as a result. But they are much more likely to blame and even sue your *** for not teaching them how to deadlift a 20# kettlebell properly. C'est la vie.

CF Comps don't mesh with our participation culture in adult recreational sports. You don't get to feel like a winner just for showing up. This is where people can get ****ed off because they don't understand the difference between sport and exercise. It takes a lot of dedicated practice just to get true beginners to understand what full range of motion in a squat or press means, and even more to do it with any sort of standardized scaling level, no matter how mild. Conventional notions of exercise as literally just putting one foot in front of the other are incongruent with actual athletic skills and competition.

/$0.02