CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
Eric M Scharf

Profile:
Experienced weight training, never CF

I recently have been reading up on CF. I love everything that I have seen. I have been working out for many years, and am ready for a change. I work out 5 times a week. I do an hour of weights, and 45 min of running or spin.
What would you recommend would be the best way to start? What are some of the better programs that you would recommend? I would like to start at my gym. I am experienced with most of the Cf exercises.
How long is an average CF workout. Can I add a CF workout to my weight lifting routine?
Old 06-22-2013, 03:04 AM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Experienced weight training, never CF

Well, generally you would add your "weightlifting" to your crossfit plan. By "weightlifting" I am thinking you are talking about lifting weights, rather than the lifts used in the Olympic Weightlifting such as the Snatch, Clean, & Jerk.

Probably some kind of body part split using freeweights, cables, dumbbells, and machines right?

CF Workouts themselves last anywhere from 2 minutes to an hour. Some have a variety of movements whereas other focus on lifting the most weight possible like a max Snatch or max Squat. Some of them might be 5 sets of ascending sets and reps in a lift or few different exercises. And some are multiple exercises with high reps and sets and sometimes have a time element, such as AsManyReps/RoundsAsPossible in x minutes or get finished with tasks as fast as possible. It really varies.

Of course, some people insert warmups to get them going and some might do skill work such as Handstands or Ring Strength or StrongMan movements or the Olympic Lifts or StrongLifts or other technique based movements like learning how to do a CF movement better or getting Double Unders.

And some people do finishers. Stretching out, extra core work or more exercises with a lighter intensity. Besides that some people also work on their flexibility/mobility before workouts as well, especially if they problem areas.

Most CF classes in CF gyms run on the 1hr format but will allow members to arrive early to warmup early or work on their warmup/skills and some members linger after their class ends to do the same.

Generally, most people would probably benefit by starting off 3-4 days a week. MWFSa. On your off days, you could do more running or bodybuilding/weightlifting stuff, yoga, recreational sport, etc.

I like Outlaw CrossFit general program for general programming but it does use the Olympic Lifts a lot more than many other CF gyms might use and generally starts with either an Olympic Lift or Strength lift followed by a/the metcon WorkOutoftheDay.