CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-28-2007, 06:38 PM   #1
Jason Naubur

Profile:
One of my goals is to do a free handstand for 30 seconds by June 5th. I am practicing Headstands right now, and assisted HSPUs. I don't have a spotter usually. I hope that this will build my balance and strength. Is this a good way to work up to a Handstand?

Is there anything else I can do, advice or comments appreciated.

Thanks,

j
Old 02-28-2007, 07:26 PM   #2
Skylar Cook

Profile:
Just practice them free, walking or whatever to maintain your balance, pressing on fingers if falling forward, palms if backward, etc. Keep up on the HSPU progressions. I find it just requires lots of practice; I'm working on it too- up to about 15 sec of hand-walking on a good day.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:15 AM   #3
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Learning how to walk on your hands is a good way to start out. It's easier to walk than to hold a static handstand. Once you develop some control walking, slow it down and try to take some brief pauses.
Performing handstands against a wall is also good. I recommend having your stomach facing the wall. I know it sounds awkward, but it enforces proper form. Most people tend to arch their back too much when they have their back to the wall. You want to gradually push yourself off the wall and briefly hold handstands. This is a good way to learn to control your balance by pushing through your hands.
Lastly, you will want to learn how to cartwheel and roll out of bad handstands. I'm pretty sure this was covered in a previous CrossFit Journal, so you might check the archives and purchase that article.
I hope this helps,
Tyler
Old 03-01-2007, 10:12 AM   #4
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Get on your hands every time you have a chance. Multiple times a day. Just do handstands. You're learning to walk again, you just need to spend time on your hands.

As far as optimal positioning work on getting a nice tall hollow handstand. Straight line from your wrists to your toes. Active shoulders pressed up as far as you can, slight lean onto your fingertips (it's easier to balance if you're slightly over).