CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-29-2004, 07:21 AM   #1
Steve Seckinger

Profile:
Hi All-
I ran across CrossFit a few weeks ago, and am pretty happy to have found it. The message boards are full of good ideas and dialoge, not mindless untested opinion. The exercise videos/slide shows are very helpful for the exercises I've never seen or just forgot about. I've been doing more of a bodybuilding routine the last few years, but for ski season I've ususally switched over to more of a cardio and leg strength/endurance routine.

This year has been focused on rehab and maintenance for me. I've been battling bad elbow tendonitis and had quite a bit of physical therapy this spring which has cured 90% of it. Elbow pain pretty much killed climbing season last year, and this year I'm laying off til October when it should be much better.

I've always had leg cramping issues, and got some great orthotics (for pronation) which have helped on long hikes and backcountry ski trips. My hip flexors tend to cramp up after a few hours, either during skiing uphill or hiking. I've also worked more on glute/ham strenghting, and always play around with different hydration plans as I think that's a contributer. (Cytomax Lite and calcium citrate have worked really well for this).

I'm hoping the CrossFit WOD's will help me round out muscle imbalances and work on core strength. Skiing with a pack on, or carrying loads of climbing gear on long approaches really sucks when your back is killing you and your legs cramp up!

Steve
Old 08-29-2004, 07:40 AM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Steve, welcome. You have some good company here, Mark Twight is a moderator and jumps in often when climbing or skiing related topics pop up. Run a search for his name and read all of his posts. Fire away with any questions and good luck.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:20 AM   #3
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Steve,

Welcome to Crossfit. Keep us updated on your progress.

Ryan
Old 09-01-2004, 04:57 AM   #4
Steve Seckinger

Profile:
Larry,
The 'search' function on the boards is one of the best features! I've already put it through several workouts-of-the-day.
Thanks,
Steve
Old 09-02-2004, 04:27 PM   #5
Rick Worthington

Profile:

Hey Steve - I know there are a few guys on one of the Rugby teams out there in Park City who are Crossfitters, skiers, climbers, etc. Good luck and welcome to the community.