CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #1
Albert Chang

Profile:
Should I hold a workshop/seminar (no cert)?

A bunch of marines on campus are getting into crossfit. One of the officers is a friend of mine, and I've recently met another officer. I've been helping them a little bit with form, but it's not to the point I feel comfortable for them to be teaching others. My friend often comes to me with a bunch of questions on how to work on certain movements in a wod, and how to scale. At that time, I didn't know it was for training groups of people, so I showed him how he could determine how to scale. I know if I were training a group of people, I'd be approaching it a different way.

Now, I've been hearing the marines on campus have been trying to follow my form, whether they know it or not, because it trickles down to them from the people I help. I've also been hearing they may not be making improvements as fast as they should, or as fast as I think they should. That being said, I feel like I should hold a workshop or seminar of some sort. If they're trying to follow my form anyway, I think it may be helpful for me to step in.

That being said, I haven't been to a seminar or have a cert. However, I do feel confident in my abilities (sans the snatch). I know legally I can't say it's crossfit, but would it be wise to hold a group training for these guys nonetheless? I also plan on making a program to scale back the wods, since they're having a hard time with them.

When I have the time and money, I do plan on getting at least level 1 cert, along with CFE, gymnastics, kettlebell, oly lifting, and powerlifting certs.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
Emily Mattes

Profile:
Re: Should I hold a workshop/seminar (no cert)?

Man, Crossfit did not invent good squat form, good push-up form, the Olympic lifts, metcons, or max deadlift days. I dunno, I don't think you need to pay an affiliation fee in order to teach people how to not hurt themselves. You can't call it Crossfit, but if they want to learn how to do exercise movements properly help them out.

Do it for free, if you're feeling really guilty about it.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:58 PM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

There are plenty of affiliates in Massachusetts, some of them excellent. Have you considered inviting one of their trainers in to do a one day workshop? Presumably the Marines have some sort of discretionary training budget that might be able to contribute to the cost.

Not saying you shouldn't do it, just that it would be a shame to pass up a readily available opportunity to learn from some good people.

Katherine
Old 02-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #4
Rich Borgatti

Profile:

I know that Justin Keane is a great lifting coach and he coaches in Acton and Littleton:
Here is his website:
http://www.woodshedfitness.com/ (wfs Link)

He is Level 1 certified.

Rich Borgatti
Old 02-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #5
Albert Chang

Profile:

Well, I'm not in MA at the moment... There's only one affiliate in the area I'm in right now.

I know about Justin. He contacted me about training under him when I'm in Acton.

Also, I never thought about charging them. It would be completely free.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:53 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Wording it would be tricky.

You could label it as GPP

Scaling Barbells, Bodyweight, and other Stuff (rowing, gymnastics, DU).

Workshop would be a better term than a seminar. Depends on how long it is and how professional it is being done.

One thing to be concerned with is liability. Hopefully you don't have to worry about this with marines. I would hope not.

Another is equipment.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
Rich Borgatti

Profile:

Hey Albert, Sorry I was assuming based on your location you were in the area.
There is nothing wrong about getting together a bunch of guys to go over good form. But you must be aware of the risks and the potential liability.

That being said I have been a part of many outdoor training groups that never had any certifications or insurance. But we always had a verbal talk about the risks involved and the trust we all had to have for one another. I never trained with anyone I didn't know personally or closely in these circumstances.

Also what kind of campus is this? College? Military base?

Rich
Old 02-10-2010, 01:20 PM   #8
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Chang View Post
A bunch of marines on campus are getting into crossfit. One of the officers is a friend of mine, and I've recently met another officer. I've been helping them a little bit with form, but it's not to the point I feel comfortable for them to be teaching others. My friend often comes to me with a bunch of questions on how to work on certain movements in a wod, and how to scale. At that time, I didn't know it was for training groups of people, so I showed him how he could determine how to scale. I know if I were training a group of people, I'd be approaching it a different way.

Now, I've been hearing the marines on campus have been trying to follow my form, whether they know it or not, because it trickles down to them from the people I help. I've also been hearing they may not be making improvements as fast as they should, or as fast as I think they should. That being said, I feel like I should hold a workshop or seminar of some sort. If they're trying to follow my form anyway, I think it may be helpful for me to step in.

That being said, I haven't been to a seminar or have a cert. However, I do feel confident in my abilities (sans the snatch). I know legally I can't say it's crossfit, but would it be wise to hold a group training for these guys nonetheless? I also plan on making a program to scale back the wods, since they're having a hard time with them.

When I have the time and money, I do plan on getting at least level 1 cert, along with CFE, gymnastics, kettlebell, oly lifting, and powerlifting certs.
Do you have any credentials at all?

Have you won anything?
Competed at a high level?
Been to any seminars?
Have any degrees involving exercise, physiology, etc....?

If your answer is no to all these questions then no, you shouldn't hold a seminar. Someone asking for your opinion or advice is one thing. Holding your self out as an authority, particularly when you are not, is a completely different thing.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:50 PM   #9
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

That's a SUPER sticky situation, especially being MIL. I would be cautious to do anything too big...maybe just call it a WORKOUT session and get a bunch of guys together where you go over a workout, I'd be hesitant to even call it a workshop...

God forbid if something went wrong, or someone got their unmentionables in a bunch...you know how the military is...tread carefully if you decide to do something. You should talk to Eric Montgomery (contact info @ www.crossfitsandiego.com (WFS) he posts on these boards too) he did something similar (but was eventually told to stop), but he had a Level I cert at the time at least.

He's a bullet sponge too (marine)
Old 02-12-2010, 03:26 PM   #10
Albert Chang

Profile:

Risks and liability are the reasons I'm asking, particularly without credentials. I've just been helping people whose wanted help with their form, or ask for pointers on how to scale back and such.

The reason I'm considering holding a workshop/workout session is because I sort of feel responsible. I didn't tell the people I help all the cues to look for, just the ones they were lacking (pressed for time, so had to keep it short). If what I'm "teaching" is being passed on, but isn't thorough, it won't help everyone like it should.

I think with a workshop/workout I can spend some real quality time going over what they need to look for, and how it all works.

Also, I'm not sure how they're scaling back the WODs. I'd scale differently for a large group than for individuals, and I've only told the officers how to scale for individuals. I think how they're scaling back could be a reason why they're not progressing as fast as I think they could.