CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-11-2008, 04:23 PM   #1
William Apostolos

Profile:
strip away the belly roll?

I am also trying to strip away about 12-15 pounds of body fat...what diet tips can anyone offer that have worked well with CRossfit? I have good nutrition knowledge already, but I do know that some diet tips work better with certaion types of workouts, and I want to maximize my time in the gym with the most effective diet for this style of workout
Old 06-11-2008, 04:25 PM   #2
Stephen Smith

Profile:
Re: strip away the belly roll?

Go check out the nutrition board, but you'll hear everyone rave about the Zone, with a good helping of suggestions for a Paleo diet. You're on the right track though, diet is what will get rid of the belly, not the workout...
Old 06-11-2008, 07:43 PM   #3
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Please read site and/or search. Good luck!
Old 06-12-2008, 05:51 AM   #4
Justin McGinley

Profile:

1)Eat Zone

2)Perform Tabatas / HIIT / Metcons

3)Lose fat.

Last edited by David Wood; 06-12-2008 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: corrected typo
Old 06-12-2008, 05:56 AM   #5
Sybille Bargeron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin McGinley View Post
1)Eat Zone

2)Perform Tabatas / HIIT / Metcons

3)Loose fat.
I'm new to all this.

I understand the TABATAS. Work out like a dog for 20, rest for 10 for ten sets.

I don't get HIIT or METCONS.

Please direct some where to explain this.

Being a woman, I still have a belly roll(s)....would really like a sixpack!
Old 06-12-2008, 06:18 AM   #6
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Heidi ho!
METCON are the "metabolic conditioning" workouts, like today's on the main page- usually rounds of something done for time. ME or strength are workouts like yesterday's- sets of deadlifts.
HIIT is high intensity intervals. I'm not too up on that, but if you try a search on here or google, I'm sure you'll find an explanation.
I've been working on my belly roll for about 5 months now. Still working lol. Following the scaled workout of the day (WOD) on Brandxmartialarts and trying to follow the zone diet has been working pretty decently for me.
Stop by the "Where's the Girl Power" thread below this one and introduce yourself- you'll find a lot of support there.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:31 AM   #7
David Stitz

Profile:

Good morning guys,

Welcome to Crossfit, you've gotten this far and chances are you're gonna get sucked in, cus its addicting and it works. A couple of tips to maximize use on the website and forums. If you look on the left side of the main page there is a FAQ section, and it should answer any questions you have about exercise substitutions, methodology behind this madness, homemade equipment and tons and tons more. Its tempting to come to the forums right away and start asking questions (most of us have made this mistake), but the best way to go about it is to familiarize yourself with the site as best you can, FAQ, videos, look into the CF Journal etc. If you have developed any questions after that then go to the forum, and on the toolbar toward the right side is the SEARCH function. Use it, abuse it. There is a very high probability that someone has asked your question before. When searching you will probably have to scroll down a bit, because many times the first page or two of results are all personal logs, which are helpful, but probably won't answer your question to the fullest potential. If you are still struggling to find an answer, change keywords and search again, and probably a couple more times after that. If you still have no luck, THEN hit that "start new thread" button. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know how to do it right before you get a bunch of brief and curt responses telling you to search. Welcome again, go get some.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:32 AM   #8
Melissa Urban

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybille Bargeron View Post
I'm new to all this.

I understand the TABATAS. Work out like a dog for 20, rest for 10 for ten sets.

I don't get HIIT or METCONS.

Please direct some where to explain this.

Being a woman, I still have a belly roll(s)....would really like a sixpack!
First, welcome!

Tabatas are 20 seconds on/10 seconds off for eight intervals. A total of four minutes of work. A tabata workout is a form of HIIT.

HIIT = High Intensity Interval Training. You perform an activity at various intensity levels throughout the workout. For a simple example, your workout might be "run for 20 minutes". The first 2 minutes, run at 50% intensity, the next 2 minutes, run at 80% intensity, the next minute, run a flat-out sprint. Repeat four times.

I'll echo the above - read the "Start Here" and "FAQ" sections in full. Really. You'll find 90% of your questions are answered there. It's an awesome resource. That should get you started, at least, on the best way to approach your diet. Abs are built in the kitchen.

And yes - check the Girl Power thread in this section! You'll find some awesome, inspiring, supportive women there.

Melissa

Last edited by Melissa Urban; 06-12-2008 at 06:36 AM..
Old 06-12-2008, 04:21 PM   #9
Stephen Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Byers View Post
And yes - check the Girl Power thread in this section! You'll find some awesome, inspiring, supportive women there.

Melissa

She knows of what she speaks, since she's one of the most inspiring people there!
Old 06-12-2008, 05:02 PM   #10
Melissa Urban

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Smith View Post
She knows of what she speaks, since she's one of the most inspiring people there!
I'm BLUSHING. And that's not a frequent occurrence.

That's really nice of you to say - clearly, we all support each other around here.

Melissa