CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-10-2005, 10:25 AM   #1
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Hey everybody. Just got back from another Crossfit WOM. It was great. It is a beautiful day here in NYC so we were able to get a good group together.

We did "Mugging Gone Bad"
3 rounds:

300m run
Ring Dips
Picnic table box jumps
20lb treeball
L-sits
burpees

We each started at a different station and did max reps on every exercise until the runner finished the run, then we switched to the next station. The 3 rounds took us 35 min.

Then we played some rage ball and played on the rings.

Thanks to David Wood for bringing so many toys and playing coach. Thanks to Tariq for taking photos. And thanks to everyone else that came out. I had a great time. I can't wait to do it again.

Old 04-10-2005, 10:59 AM   #2
Joshua Newman

Profile:
It was, indeed, an awesome workout, and a re-affirmation of what I discovered at the last NYC group workout: CrossFit seems to attract some remarkably smart, interesting, friendly and low-key individuals - albeit slightly masochistic ones.

While the workout was fun (despite both David and I smashing up our glasses by taking the 20lb medicine ball in the face), the highlights for me were after that:

First, as we stood around rage-balling and ring-monkeying, we started to attract a slew of kids, who all joined in on the rings and pullup bars, or raged away on the smaller 8lb ball. It was great to see so much enthusiasm from them, and a good reminder that if you can make fitness weird and fun, it's simple to get kids on board.

Second, we stopped in for as Zone-friendly a brunch as possible at a nearby restaurant, and talked through the key nutritional challenge of New York life: reconciling recreational alcoholism (the official past-time of the city) with performance eating. From showing up still drunk at early AM WOD's, to surreptitiously Zone-balancing a round of drinks (hoarding the bowl of nuts, conning friends into splitting a plate of calamari), we covered some important ground, and should now be ready to give the teetotalling HQ crowd a run for their money. ;)

Looking forward to next month!
Old 04-10-2005, 12:14 PM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

Josh is too modest to point out that while the others of us were doing ring pullups and ring dips during our cycle, he was knocking out 6 or 7 muscle-ups each round . . . so I'm going to have to do it for him.

Thankfully, Tariq didn't have his camera ready for the various embarassments. The 20-lb ball, in particular, seemed to resent being taken outside and was doing its best to extract revenge. Besides the two full-face catches that Josh and I pulled off, I also just the let the ball drop after a particularly high toss to finish my round. It caromed off the root at the foot of the tree and hit me directly on a body part below the hara (hara = one point in aikido = 6 inches below your navel). Most amusing to the onlookers.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:19 PM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

Also, lest people think we were total wimps with that 35 minute overall time (we were, but I'd rather people didn't think so), allow me to point out that we "rested" about 2 minutes beween rounds. Approximate working times were 9 minutes, 11 mintues and 9 mintues for the 3 rounds.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:05 PM   #5
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Guys, any chance of posting the photos? I'd be very keen to see CrossFit, Big Apple style!
Old 04-10-2005, 03:31 PM   #6
Joshua Newman

Profile:
Thank you, David, for the kind, kind plug, though I should correct that by saying I was only able to bang out 3 or 4 muscle-ups a round, rather than 6 or 7.

Still, I'm more than thrilled with even that count, as I'd only been on rings once before - getting my first muscle-up at the previous Central Park workout, a few weeks back. (Come on, Tyler, get those Power Rings back in stock! I need to start gunning for the consecutive 10 challenge!)

In the name of over-modesty counter-revelation: David and several others banged out free-standing handstands (and free-standing handstand push-ups!) that put my own sorry wall-bound (or highly, highly spotted) performance to shame.

Seriously, it was an inspiring group to behold. I know I'll be busting my own butt much harder over the next few weeks, trying to match the efforts that Norma, Scott, David, Keith and Tariq put out.

For a bunch of lushes, we did pretty good work.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:33 PM   #7
Joshua Newman

Profile:
Also, I think Tariq may be posting the photos later today. Or, at least, I'm hoping he is, as there's a priceless series of each of us mid-air during our respective Rage Ball jump/slams
Old 04-10-2005, 04:28 PM   #8
Tariq Kassum

Profile:
Beautiful day, great workout, and even better people. Group picture below - rageball pics in a later post. Apparently Norma is holding a light saber. http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/3499/9172.jpg