CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:30 PM   #1
Randy Gruezo

Profile:
I'm trying to start a Crossfit Class in a local city park. However, I spoke to some representatives and they said that I will have to have a contract with the city because I will be getting paid by clients (for profit). Also that I will have to split profits 80/20 with the city, (I get 80), just to use the park.

Has anyone run into something like this? For those that have Crossfit in their local parks can you share with me your process for having the class there, if there was one?

Thanks for all your help.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:13 AM   #2
Jay Soto

Profile:
Randy,

I currently run my classes at a park. In order to do this, I had to add them to my insurance, fill out an application and pay a per hour fee. I was offered a percentage deal, but yours is much better than what was offered to me. All in all, not a bad deal to start out, well, as long as you can find the necessary facilities (e.g. pull up bars). One other concern is having to haul all of the equipment to the park everyday.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:03 PM   #3
Randy Gruezo

Profile:
Jay,

Thank you for you insight. That is exactly what they told me I have to do in regards to insurance and the fees.

If you don't mind me asking what was the % deal they offered you? Because I think a per hour fee can be a better deal relative to how much you make per class of course. If you're maxed out the per hour deal can be much better.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:32 PM   #4
Mike Choate

Profile:
Hey guys I am in the process of becoming an affiliate and i am thinking of starting in the park as well I contacted my local city offices and they told me that as long as no money exchanges hands at the park then I don't have to pay anything or fill out any paperwork. I thought that was a pretty good deal. I am going to start a kettlebell class there in a couple weeks and then hopfully add crossfit soon.

Randy if you don't mind me asking what do you charge for classes in the [park?
Old 06-11-2007, 08:15 PM   #5
Randy Gruezo

Profile:
Mike I don't charge any for the parks yet since I haven't closed any deal with the my local officials. My price will depend on what fees I may have to pay with the city. I'll keep you updated if I strike a deal with the city.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:59 AM   #6
Aaron Shaffer

Profile:
I lead workouts in a local park. I'm doing it for free until fall when I hope to have generated enough interest to charge a fee and move indoors. I haven't arranged anything with the city. We meet at 6:30am and we're the only people around.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:36 PM   #7
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
I use three diffent parks in two different cities. For two I have to provide the council with insurance details and planned usage time, But no fee, and no exculisivity. In the other city i provide all the same details and I pay a daily fee but have supposed exclusive use of the area. At my planned class times.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:05 AM   #8
Jordan Glasser

Profile:
For those who don't pay, consider yourselves fortunate. I am paying a fee, I have to pre-book, and regardless of weather I am commited to that fee. All in all, it's not a very welcoming scenario for me to run classes.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:10 AM   #9
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Why would you have to pay? I mean, what are you doing there that is costing the city anything that they wouldn't otherwise have to pay? It sounds suspiciously like a city trying to get their hands in on every pot of money they can find.

Now, if you're going to be taking over an area and having exclusive access to it, that's different. Things like a marathon where you want to close off a section so only your runners could use it, or whatever. But doing a crossfit in the park, come on...

If it's a "pay to use" park, that's antoher story. You pay taxes, so you own 1 / 50,000'th of that city park (or fill in the population number for your city). It'd be no different than if you lived in a subdivsion, and went out to workout in the sub's "common area". If you were causing trouble, or preventing others from using it, then there's a problem, but simple use, no.

(Message edited by Matt_DeMinico on July 02, 2007)
Old 09-07-2007, 05:29 AM   #10
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:
Re: Crossfit in Parks (Anyone have to pay a fee to city?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt DeMinico View Post
Why would you have to pay? I mean, what are you doing there that is costing the city anything that they wouldn't otherwise have to pay? It sounds suspiciously like a city trying to get their hands in on every pot of money they can find.

Now, if you're going to be taking over an area and having exclusive access to it, that's different. Things like a marathon where you want to close off a section so only your runners could use it, or whatever. But doing a crossfit in the park, come on...

If it's a "pay to use" park, that's antoher story. You pay taxes, so you own 1 / 50,000'th of that city park (or fill in the population number for your city). It'd be no different than if you lived in a subdivsion, and went out to workout in the sub's "common area". If you were causing trouble, or preventing others from using it, then there's a problem, but simple use, no.

(Message edited by Matt_DeMinico on July 02, 2007)
that's what I'm sayin'!