CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-09-2007, 05:01 PM   #1
Jack Gayton

Profile:
Just wondering if any crossfitters were going to do the urbanathalon in nyc. I believe there is also one in Chicago. It's scheduled for 9/29.

Here is the link
http://www.menshealthurbanathlon.com/about.cfm

I've been doing CF for about a month and have to say, I would have never dreamed of entering something like this before. The confidence you get from doing these WOD's is unbelievable. Granted, I scale often, but it amazes me what you are capable of when you push yourself.

This will be my first time doing anything like this. I did a 5K in April, but that's it. I'm confident that using the WOD's will get me ready. I'm sure I'll be asking questions.

Hope to see some of the CF community out there.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:08 PM   #2
Kevin McMillan

Profile:
the race looks like fun! def gives me some ideas, im looking at organizing a race here in Nova scotia sometime this year.

best of luck tho jack! do us proud
Old 08-14-2007, 01:34 PM   #3
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
I might be interested in this. Although my running times absolutely suck (like a 26:45 5k), but then again, I'm just learning the "proper" way to run, and it seems to be helping, just haven't timed myself since I've begun learning.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:19 AM   #4
Jack Gayton

Profile:
Matt - What's the proper way to run? Do you have a link to an article or something? I'm only a month into CF, but figure why not. The video on the website looks brutal. I'm registering through my company, so we may wind up doing the relay.

I've only done 5K's thus far. But plan on doing an 8K in a couple weeks. After that, I'll start building up to the 7.6 miles this race is. It's going to be brutal.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:42 PM   #5
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
I've been reading lately, and am still not 100% sure, but the whole landing on your heel with a straight leg just makes you waste all kinds of energy you don't need to be using because you're actually "braking" when you hit like that.

I forget the guy's name, Gordon Pirie I think, his "Running Fast and Injury Free" book is available to read online.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:54 AM   #6
Evan Swiker

Profile:
Re: Urbanathalon - NYC

I am signed up to run the Urbanathalon as part of a team with some people from work. I'll be running the third leg of the race. Some of the other people on my team are also CrossFitters that I have been working out with at work. This is going to be difficult but at the same time a lot of fun. Definitely going to start doing some stair workouts 2-3 times a week in addition to the WOD. Good luck to anyone else who is competing.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:50 PM   #7
Jack Gayton

Profile:

Our company only had 5 spots, I got one. Expected everyone else to want to do it as a relay, but they all want to go solo. I've switched to a 5 day on, 2 off plan to get ready. Everytime a rest day comes up on the site and I'm scheduled to workout, I do a distance run. I'm at about 5 miles, but need to build up.

This race is going to be brutal. All of my friends think I'm crazy, but I figure that is what CF is all about.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:39 AM   #8
Peter Queen

Profile:

Thanks for the info and link Jack. I will probably not do this myself this year because of other commitments but I did send the link to some fellow "weekend warrior" athletic friends of mine since I live only 2 hrs north of Chicago. I am however, currently preparing for a duathlon comming up next month,(http://www.midwestsportsevents.com/e...php?EventID=26 (W/F safe)) but this urbanathlon looks like some real good all around fun.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:57 AM   #9
Peter Queen

Profile:

BTW: good luck Jack and to those doing this one. Post back with all the aches and pains filled fun times you had.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:48 PM   #10
Chad Biggs

Profile:

Hello, I noticed that you were talking about the NYC Urbanathlon. I am actively search for a race number as registration closed early and I was unable to register. Really bummed out as my and my friend already took off work, bought plane tickets and trained for the last 6 months for it. If your or anyone you know has registered but will be unable to make it, please let me know as I will be happy to pay for the entry, or more than what you paid for the entry.

Thanks for anything you can suggest!

Chad