CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 03-21-2007, 04:36 PM   #1
Samantha Preuninger

Profile:
I am new to Crossfit, but very excited to have found something that fits my own fitness philosophy. As an adult, I have been in and out of shape (mostly out, and VERY out since giving birth to my son almost 3 years ago).

However, as a child, I was in way above average shape. I attribute this to having a high bar, jungle gym and rings in my school playground, all of which I used regularly. Plus lots of tag. Plus, being a girl, lots of jumping rope and doing cartwheels.

I'm hoping Crossfit can get me back into that kind of shape.

I intend to join CrossFitNYC, probably around May 1. I want this month-and-a-bit to start doing WOD-style workouts on my own, so I don't look completely pathetic when I show up at the Black Box.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:19 AM   #2
Samantha Preuninger

Profile:
Workout for 3/18/2007
Modified Cindy
As many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of:
5 high pulls (clean grip) w/ 35# barbell
10 pushups
15 squats

I was originally pulling from the floor, but switched to pulling from the hang after the first round. I also switched to knees-on-the-floor pushups after the first round.

I managed to get 9 rounds total. I had nearly 2 minutes left, but didn't think I would finish the 10th round before I ran out of time.

I don't think I've ever worked out that hard in my entire life. The pushups were by far the hardest part of the workout. The squats were almost a rest for me.

I was too sore to work out for the next two days. Hopefully I'll get used to these WODs soon!
Old 03-22-2007, 07:20 AM   #3
Samantha Preuninger

Profile:
3/20/2007

Still very sore from Sunday, but I did play around with the jump rope a bit. I was surprised to discover that I can't do two consecutive double unders! I've got to work on that.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:28 AM   #4
Samantha Preuninger

Profile:
3/21/2007

Heavily, heavily wimpified version of the "Filthy Fifty" workout. I did 25 reps of each of the following:
1. Double unders (since I can't do consecutive double unders, 1 double under was really jump, jump, jump, double under)
2. Assisted pullups (this means my feet are on the ground and I'm using the stair bannister)
3. Jumps onto an 8" step
4. Knees-down pushups
5. Squats
6. More assisted pullups
7. Situps (feet not anchored).

I finished in 8:56. I rested a minute, then did one Tabata cycle (8 x 20 seconds on/10 seconds rest) of jumping rope. Rested another minute, then tried working on getting consecutive double unders.

The first time I tried, I got 4! Then I got 4 again, then 6, then 7 (PR), then 4, then 4 again, so figured I was out of gas and called it a day.

Today I'm going to do 4 x 400m sprints (walk 200m in between). My arms are sore, but my legs feel okay. Friday I intend to do a "Tabata these" with hang power cleans, squats, push presses and box jumps (10" step).
Old 03-23-2007, 06:56 PM   #5
Samantha Preuninger

Profile:
Bleargh.

First of all, I used the rain threat as an excuse not to do my planned sprint workout yesterday. Instead, I sat on my butt and watched "The Departed." Good movie.

I also managed to choose the wrong weight (35#) for my hang power cleans and push presses, and thus blow my Tabata These workout today. Here's the reps I did:
Hang power cleans: 10/9/8/7/4/5/5/couldn't do last interval.
Push press: 7/my elbow started screaming at me and I had to stop. Figured I could still do the rest of the workout, though, since it was all lower body and unweighted.
Squats: 13/12/11/10/11/11/10/10
Box jumps (10"): 9/11/9/7/8/8/8/12
I'm proud that I was able to crank it up like that for my last interval.

Next time, I'll be very conservative and just do the bar (my adjustable barbell set bar weighs 15 lbs.) for the cleans and presses. And tomorrow I will do my sprints, since it's a pretty safe bet that my arms will be good for nothing.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:15 PM   #6
Matt Thomas

Profile:
I'm jealous that you'll be getting to workout at a real crossfit facility. Best of luck in getting back to your playground self. Those were the good ol days :-)

My one suggestion would be on the Cindy from the 18th. Work the WHOLE 20 minutes. If you only have 2 minutes left and don't think you'll complete a whole round try to get through as much of it as you can. On workouts like this my numbers are very usually 15.5 or something. It gets you in the don't quit never stop mentality and sometimes you'll surprise yourself. Often when I started my very last round thinking I'd only get through one or two exercises I was able to squeeze out an entire round. Push yourself the whole time and you might be surprised what happens. Just my .02

Good luck with your workouts and please continue to update your log and share your progress!:showoff:
Old 03-26-2007, 07:28 AM   #7
Samantha Preuninger

Profile:
Thanks for the encouragement, Matt!

I did my 4x400m sprint workout on Saturday, but didn't time it due to not owning a stopwatch (I use the timer feature on my desk clock to time my indoor workouts). I really need to get a stopwatch, as I plan to use short-distance (5K - 5 miles) running as my "sport." I've already registered for a 4-mile race on Mother's Day.

Sunday I did 3x10 KB swings with a 25-lb. dumbbell, then 3x10 clean & press with the same dumbbell. Lots of rest between sets. I finished up with a set of 20 burpees, just because I hate burpees.

Today I went for my regular 2-mile run, which I haven't done since before starting this log. I can't be sure, since as I just mentioned I don't have a stopwatch, but I'm pretty sure I've gotten faster. I was certainly putting out more effort on this run than on my past runs.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:45 PM   #8
Matt Thomas

Profile:
How have the workouts been coming lately?