CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
Joseph J Perez
Member Joseph J Perez is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chicago  IL
Posts: 3
Crossfit training schedule?

Hello everyone, first time poster. I have a question about crossfits training split/schedule. I'm always open to new ideas and have recently started crossfit. Seeing as the program is not setup as your typical bodybuilding split or power lifting ME/DE days, how does one schedule or determine what WOD's will be done each day/week?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
Kate Head
Member Kate Head is offline
 
Kate Head's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rockhampton  QLD
Posts: 90
Re: Crossfit training schedule?

Follow the main page or make your own schedule. I do my own due to work commitments and I combine Muay Thai in my training.

But I do get a copy of the daily WOD from main page and file it to use in my schedule later on.
__________________
Winning isn't everything, But wanting to is!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:17 PM   #3
Joseph J Perez
Member Joseph J Perez is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chicago  IL
Posts: 3
Re: Crossfit training schedule?

Thanks. More specifically, I'd like to know how they or head personal trainers at these crossfit facilities determine what workouts to do for a particular day or week. I assume they take various factors into consideration like over-training on certain muscle groups. As a trainer, how do they determine the volume and frequency of certain lifts and WOD's?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #4
Josh Deets
Member Josh Deets is offline
 
Josh Deets's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: McKinney  TX
Posts: 95
Re: Crossfit training schedule?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph J Perez View Post
Thanks. More specifically, I'd like to know how they or head personal trainers at these crossfit facilities determine what workouts to do for a particular day or week. I assume they take various factors into consideration like over-training on certain muscle groups. As a trainer, how do they determine the volume and frequency of certain lifts and WOD's?
Some trainers will "follow" a big gyms cycles like Catalyst or Outlaw(my box like to model his strength work after Catalyst and programs METCON type WODs to assist). Experience, I think would be another big factor determining how the trainer programs. Some boxes are more cardio/body weight focused, others are more barbell focused.
__________________
Hold fast hope.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:02 AM   #5
Robert Fabsik
Member Robert Fabsik is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kildeer  IL
Posts: 2,233
Re: Crossfit training schedule?

Some have a base strength program and then choose metcons and long distance work to hit different energy pathways.

Another good rule of thumb is to make sure you are doing stuff you don't like to do or your weaknesses.

Many feel CF main page has no rhyme or reason and is a mystery.
Clearly there isn't a do 16 metcons, 8 strength workouts, 4 gymnastic workouts and 4 long distance workouts a month.

Pat Sherwood and Tony Budding have had some CF Journal videos talking about how they plan WODs, it has some nice ideas, like look back to what you did last week to figure out what to do this week--avoid too much overlap, once in a while intentionally hit overlap.

Guiding principals "constantly varied" "various time domains" "mixing modalities."

A long time ago it seemed there was a model of:
warm up
brief strength work
skill practice
WOD
Go home.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
Brendan McNamar
Affiliate Brendan McNamar is offline
 
Brendan McNamar's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Glendale  AZ
Posts: 2,216
Re: Crossfit training schedule?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph J Perez View Post
Seeing as the program is not setup as your typical bodybuilding split or power lifting ME/DE days, how does one schedule or determine what WOD's will be done each day/week?
You need to let go of this thinking. It can be very hard for people with body building back grounds.

I always ask my ex-body builders to just do it for 90 days. Follow CrossFit.com's 3 on 1 off WODs to the best of your ability. Go as hard as you can. At the end of 90 days you should understand.

If your goals is maximum strength or to get your body to look a certain way then CrossFit is not the right program for you.

If at the end of 90 days you want to get a little more organized on strength training there are lots of good threads on how to combine proven strength programs and CrossFit.
__________________
Nomadic CrossFit Coach
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
Matt B Johnson
Member Matt B Johnson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Greensboro  NC
Posts: 36
Re: Crossfit training schedule?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
You need to let go of this thinking. It can be very hard for people with body building back grounds.

I always ask my ex-body builders to just do it for 90 days. Follow CrossFit.com's 3 on 1 off WODs to the best of your ability. Go as hard as you can. At the end of 90 days you should understand.

If your goals is maximum strength or to get your body to look a certain way then CrossFit is not the right program for you.

If at the end of 90 days you want to get a little more organized on strength training there are lots of good threads on how to combine proven strength programs and CrossFit.
This was hard for me as most all of what I've known is bodybuilding stuff. Crossfit went against everything that I was preached for years doing bodybuilding type splits. I sucked it up and tried it though, and found that the new challenges in crossfit are worth it... It kicks my butt again. It takes away the boring grind of just lifting to lift.

I have not lost muscle mass in the 4 months that I've been doing it and have actually lost bodyfat while maintaining my body weight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
Adam Molnar
Member Adam Molnar is offline
 
Adam Molnar's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Budapest  Hungary
Posts: 276
Re: Crossfit training schedule?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt B Johnson View Post
This was hard for me as most all of what I've known is bodybuilding stuff. Crossfit went against everything that I was preached for years doing bodybuilding type splits. I sucked it up and tried it though, and found that the new challenges in crossfit are worth it... It kicks my butt again. It takes away the boring grind of just lifting to lift.

I have not lost muscle mass in the 4 months that I've been doing it and have actually lost bodyfat while maintaining my body weight.

I was pretty much in the same situation, but left body-building methods behind.
I would suggest to try to follow a webpage's WODs (crossfit.com or crossfitfootball.com, or any affiliate's) website you like. Give 3 months.

I tried crossfit.com, but needed more strenght work, so switch to crossfitfootball.com, and like it better. I do not have to do the thinking and planning, just adjust/scale or substitute.
__________________
Who knows? Who cares?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
Joseph J Perez
Member Joseph J Perez is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chicago  IL
Posts: 3
Re: Crossfit training schedule?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
You need to let go of this thinking. It can be very hard for people with body building back grounds.

I always ask my ex-body builders to just do it for 90 days. Follow CrossFit.com's 3 on 1 off WODs to the best of your ability. Go as hard as you can. At the end of 90 days you should understand.

If your goals is maximum strength or to get your body to look a certain way then CrossFit is not the right program for you.

If at the end of 90 days you want to get a little more organized on strength training there are lots of good threads on how to combine proven strength programs and CrossFit.

I'd just love to know the rhyme or reason behind the workouts selected for the 3 days on. Trainers doing crossfit across the globe choose different workouts. There has to be a method behind the madness A better understanding to these questions will allow anyone to train themselves better.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:42 AM   #10
Andrew N. Casey
Banned Andrew N. Casey is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Abilene  KS
Posts: 2,590
Re: Crossfit training schedule?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph J Perez View Post
I'd just love to know the rhyme or reason behind the workouts selected for the 3 days on.SO WOULD MANY OTHER PEOPLE Trainers doing crossfit across the globe choose different workouts. There has to be a method behind the madness DON'T BE SO SURE. A better understanding to these questions will allow anyone to train themselves better.
this has been discussed many times on these boards. however, while you would assume there must be a rhyme or reason, you may find that isn't the case, or if it is that it will not be explained, at least not to your satisfaction. especially when you throw in the word "method" to the madness you may find that the method is no method.

there are different ways to look at it depending on how you define words like "method", "random", "pattern", etc. if you look for a fill in the blank formula you will not find it. if you look at it from a CF way of thinking, with the goal or aim being GPP, i.e. fitness, defined as work capacity across broad time and modal demains to be prepared for the unknown and unknowable, and the method to accomplish the goal being constantly varied high intensity functional movement, then in that case CF program makes sense. they use CV HI FM and it will lead to improved fitness. so the program accomplish the goal and in that sense it is not random.

this topic has been discussed, with HQ staff included in the conversation, numerous times on these boards. sometimes they have got very heated. and it has been discussed in great detail. you can read through them and then decide your opinion on it.

all links below are WFS

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=73163

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=73640

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=75705
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Training Schedule Help Christopher R Garcia Fitness 7 12-15-2011 01:50 PM
Training/rehab schedule Katie "KD" Davenport Injuries 5 06-03-2010 01:58 PM
Training schedule Chris Honnon Fitness 2 05-30-2007 05:28 AM
Structuring Triathlon Training Schedule Andrew Smith Fitness 12 05-11-2006 12:35 PM
Training schedule Todd Learn Fitness 1 06-09-2005 10:42 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:51 PM.


CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.