CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-10-2006, 06:31 PM   #11
Kevin McKay

Profile:
I was just guesstimating based one zone numbers I know very little of this, but Rob Wolf the "cross fit nutritional guru" is going to post something more scientific. See posts above.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:40 AM   #12
Larry Cook

Profile:
Rob (or anyone else who knows),

How similar is the metobolic diet to Faigin's NHE plan?

Thanks
Old 09-11-2006, 11:58 AM   #13
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Larry-
virtually indistinguishable but MD does offer a refinement that allows one ot dial in the carb level to met one's needs. check this out:
http://www.metabolicdiet.com/images/md_tshoot.pdf

I've posted htis before but it is quite helpful if yu are willing to tinker with things.

Kevin-
The simplest thint to do is for every carb block you delete, add 3 fat blocks. Looks like this:
1 block carbs=9g carbs & 4cal/g=36cal
1block fat=1.5g fat & 9cal/g x(3 blocks)=40.5cal

So, if you are at 16 blocks, but are deleting say 13 blocks you will be at: 16P 3C 55F (16+(3x13)). this is your normal day-to-day eating but it is set at a very low caloric level! You will need to increase your fat blocks once you have reached a desired level of BF.

For your carb load you can drop the protein and fat to fairly low levels, say 10blocks protein and similar fat. Now, for every protein block you delete add one carb block and for every 3 fat blocks deleted, add a carb block. I'm leavig that math for you.

You can use this same tempalate when you are ramped up to a higher fat maintainance level. Just remember 3 fatblocks~1 carbblock.

If you want to use this as a means to add muscle check out the mass gain article in one of the recent PM's.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:41 PM   #14
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Fantastic thanks Rob! One last question is it important to spread the carbs out a little at eache meal (.5 each meal) or can I eat them all for breakfast or maybe 1 blk for the first 3 meals?

Thanks
Old 09-11-2006, 04:31 PM   #15
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Keven-
Either way if fine. Whatever works for you.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:53 AM   #16
Randy Roper

Profile:
Robert,
Looks like they want you to limit carbs during the week to 30 per day or 3 blocks? Unless you tweak it by using the chart you provided based upon how you feel? If that's correct I think I'm dialed in although by my figures at 20 blocks if I drop to 30 gr carbs I will need to consume 71 fat blocks??
Old 09-12-2006, 02:14 PM   #17
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Randy, there is also an approach that has you on a more-moderate carb approach, very similar to Zone. Check out the chart that Robb has linked earlier.

If you do decide to go the very low carb route, then 71 blocks of fat would be correct.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:36 PM   #18
Randy Roper

Profile:
Jesse, thanks. I assume the idea is to get your body to burn fat for fuel? I would guess that I'd need to be consuming a lot of oils since nuts, avocdos, olives etc are going to supply extra carbs?
Old 09-12-2006, 03:48 PM   #19
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Exactly, the idea is that it turns your body from a carb-burning, fat-storing machine, to a fat-burning, lean-mass preserving machine.

From what I understand of the original anabolic diet, you would be correct. It suggests lots of fatty red meats, whole-fat cheeses, bacon, heavy cream and butter along with fish oil, and healthy oils. The carb-counting would seem to be a bit stricter than Zone, being that you might count the carbs in something like peanuts.

I tend to lean more towards the way that Rob is working it, using some Zone math and nutrient composition ideas to put together a very similar program that is easier to guesstimate.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:46 PM   #20
Randy Roper

Profile:
You refering to the one about 7 entries back or is there a different chart?