CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-21-2006, 07:03 AM   #51
Jeff Bearden

Profile:
This may be a silly question about IF but here goes. When you are fasting do you have anything at all or just water or maybe some fresh juice or what? Everything I have ever read about fasting is not in the realm of fitness and it all says to get plenty of rest and to limit your activity. So, I guess I'm just a little confused about it. I've always wanted to fast but was sort of afraid that I wouldn't have enough fuel for a workout. I had made a previous post about it but I'm still a little confused. I've been skipping breakfast lately but haven't been working out too hard either. I really just want to lean out some, maybe 2-3 inches off my waist. I've been trying to cut back on my calories some too but my wife is a great cook and it's hard to resist. I just ordered the Paleo Diet and Paleo for Athletes books so I'm hoping that will help me gain some more knowledge. I'm sort of desperate to get leaner but I'm 40 years old and it's a little tougher now. I've had a stress fracture I've been nursing too so I've basically just been sticking to bodyweight type exercises(i.e. pushups, situps, air squats) Anyway, I'm looking for some advice about IF and what I should do and not do. You guys are great and I appreciate any advice you have to offer. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:51 AM   #52
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Jeff,
Fasting has many different interpretations (much like the discussions we've had here regarding vegetarianism and its many variations).

Personally, fasting to me is just water (although I rarely drink straight water, I always make some form of tea--herbal, green, white, mixed, etc.).

I personally wouldn't really consider myself to be "fasting" unless I went more than 24 hours without some sort of nourishment.

I go into the definition of fasting because heaven knows there's people out there saying they're doing silly things like "meat fasts" or "fruit fasts" and I just don't consider it fasting. They're simply on a restrictive diet, nothing more.

Make sure to thoroughly search the board for IF and Intermittent Fasting (maybe even try searching with Feeding as the second term). You'll find a lot.

I'm excited to start. I practiced yesterday--4 block breakfast, no food until a 16-block dinner. Felt all right, I know I still need a bit of shifting in my own metabolism...
Old 04-21-2006, 08:24 AM   #53
Marc Moffett

Profile:
Jeff, FWIW.

I haven't been taking in any calories, just water, tea and a couple cups of Joe in the AM. (I find that green tea bothers my stomach, not so the green Roiboos tea or honeybush tea.)

I do fine working out in the sense that I can complete the WODs with good intensity and have been achieving PBs (on Fran and Murph) since I started IF-ing last week. I don't know if those scores would be even better if I had had more calories or if I would have had a bigger response to training. But at the very least it hasn't set me back.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:09 AM   #54
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
I find that what works for me is to just fast randomly. I like this method because it doesn't require any planning. If I have a busy day, I just don't eat and then do the WOD on empty. Since I started IF (it's been quite a while now) I've noticed that I can only exercise intensely on an empty stomach. A full stomach holds me down and limits my motivation. I drink a lot of water, as much as I need, and drink some green tea occasionally. Something I've definitely noticed is that fruit and anything else carby totally screws up body composition when IFing if eaten at all, in any quantity, at any time. Sugary or starchy carbs just aren't compatible with IF if you want to stay lean(atleast for me). During my feeding window I stick to fatty meats, nuts and seeds (mostly nut butters), and lots of green vegetables. I'm not on the Zone by any means. I eat lots of fat mostly from organic butter, meats, and nuts and seeds. I think that, in a sense, IF proves that glycogen is not required in any amount for crossfit endeavors. When I fast, any glycogen I could have had is burned up first. On top of that, I follow a low-carb diet, which further limits glycogen. I usually do the WOD towards the end of a fast, which basically ensures that my body is running completley off of ketones and FFA's. I find that performance is best when fasting, so you can see what I'm getting at here. I believe that ketones are a super fuel, and are superior to glucose. I don't count calories either. I eat to satiety, but never eat until I feel stuffed.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:13 AM   #55
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Oh yeah, Marc, you said you've been messing around with IF since this thread started so that might be why you were tanked. Your body needs time to adjust. Give it time and you should adapt quite nicely to IF. Also, how much food, and what composition of food are you taking in? I find that increasing fat and getting plenty of calories are two key components to being successful with IF.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:21 AM   #56
Jeff Bearden

Profile:
Dr.G, Marc, Greg,

Thanks for the info fellas. Remember, you have to live hard to be hard. That one is free from an old soldier, I won't charge you for it. LOL
Old 04-21-2006, 09:45 AM   #57
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
For me at least the trick to IF was not skimping on fats whatsoever, adding fats to already fatty foods, like I mentioned before cooking fatty ground beef in two tablespoons of coconut oil. I never realized it before but one of the reasons behind alot of my diet failures was that I was simply not eating enough fat.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:25 AM   #58
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Haha, nice quote Jeff. Jibreel, I couldn't agree with you more. Fat is so so important.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:03 PM   #59
Michael Hill

Profile:

To anyone who separates P&C and P&F on IF, how strict are you when it comes to this separation? Is it something like skinless chicken breast and carbs w/o any added fat or is it limiting it to only a 1-2 Tbps of olive oil for instance? I'm sure there will be varation depending on the overall total caloric consumption of the diet, but I'm just looking for a starting point to experiment from.

Also, how many meals are people eating on IF? Finally, how many carbs are you comsuming total, per meal, and how does your carb consumption compare to what you were eating on the zone? Personally, I find (I think) I need less carbs when IF. Thanks to all.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:13 PM   #60
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I still don't think I'm at enough fat even on 3x fat (I consider my fat block to be 9 grams now for the easier calculations, I don't always count the fats within in the meat I eat). Figuring out how to get 16 blocks of fat in my feeding last night wasn't too difficult once I made my smoothie with 1 Tbsp of coconut, cod liver, and butter oil *each* in it! That was after the pound of grass-fed ground beef that was cooked in 2 Tbsp of coconut oil! Wow.

Looking at a 18-block dinner tonight. I had a 4-block snack around 10 am post workout, I do think I'll need to work my fasts longer by an hour a day to maximize "comfort" and work performance. Other than my wife not liking me becoming even more "health-nutty" & difficult to deal with around social events (How is one supposed to eat out? Order three entrees?!? Four?!? Most I've done to this point is two...), I think I'll do great with this.