CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 02-25-2014, 07:21 AM   #1
Jeff Pickett

Profile:
Sleep issues

I'm a 46 year old male who has been CrossFitting since last April. I eat Paleo, am in good health and despite the normal regimen suggested for sleep (dark room, cool temperature, magnesium usage, etc.) I struggle with getting a good night's rest. I work out 3-5 times/week.
Most nights I wake up around 2:30 or 3:00 AM and it may take me up to an hour or two to get back to sleep, so my usual amount is closer to 7 hours or less per night.
I just started taking Progenex Cocoon and bought a Sleep Induction Mat to try to sniff out some possible solutions.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-25-2014, 01:05 PM   #2
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: Sleep issues

Sleep study.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:12 PM   #3
Alden Hingle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
Sleep study.
+1

Based on my fitness level, % bodyfat and physical capacity, no one could believe I had/ have sleep apnea. Neither did I until my GP insisted I needed a sleep study after I described my sleep issues. Lots of adverse health issues related to sleep apnea. Let me know if you are interested and I'll send you links to some information.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:47 AM   #4
Travis Thompson

Profile:

I had the exact same problem, I started taking HGHup made by Applied Nutriceuticals, the dosage is 5 pills at bed time and I have never had a better nights sleep, defintely worth a try

here is a link

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/appli...psules/a4-1007
Old 02-26-2014, 12:51 PM   #5
John C Blattner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Hingle View Post
+1

Based on my fitness level, % bodyfat and physical capacity, no one could believe I had/ have sleep apnea. Neither did I until my GP insisted I needed a sleep study after I described my sleep issues. Lots of adverse health issues related to sleep apnea. Let me know if you are interested and I'll send you links to some information.
My doc has recently suggested I look into this. Curious as to what your sleep issues/symptoms were. Also, are you now using a CPAP?
Old 02-26-2014, 04:52 PM   #6
Will Seavey

Profile:

A sleep study isn't a bad idea, especially if you snore. If you want to try something with some evidence, you can get some melatonin or some sustained release melatonin if the issue is staying asleep. I suggest it to people as a first try for a sleep aid. You can use it for a week to try and reset your sleep cycle.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:36 PM   #7
Alden Hingle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C Blattner View Post
My doc has recently suggested I look into this. Curious as to what your sleep issues/symptoms were. Also, are you now using a CPAP?
I was tired a lot and did not feel as sharp mentally as normal. I was sleeping 9 hours a night during the work week and longer on weekends but not feeling rested. A new girlfriend let me know I was snoring and that I was occasionally making choking sounds in my sleep. My doctor ordered a sleep study that confirmed sleep apnea.

Yes, I am using a CPAP and it was an amazing improvement to my quality of life. From the very first night, I felt better. I've been using one 4-5 years now. Yes, it is a pain in the butt but the difference in the way I feel is definitely worth it. If your doctor suggested a sleep study, I would definitely follow through on his recommendation.

If you find out you have sleep apnea, shoot me a PM and I'll give you a data dump on the resources I've found and some suggestions on equipment choices.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:46 PM   #8
Alden Hingle

Profile:

Should have mentioned that you can have sleep apnea even if you don't snore and there are people who snore but don't have sleep apnea.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:47 PM   #9
Kevin J. Fleming

Profile:

In addition to Mg I recommend the following*:

1. ear plugs
2. fan for white noise
3. night mask
4. breath right extras
http://www.breatheright.com/products/extra
link is work friendly/family safe

5. chamomile tea
6. blue light blocking glasses to wear hour or two before bed

*I am not implying do not follow up with Dr. re sleep study.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:43 PM   #10
Wilfred Lamb

Profile:

I sometimes get absolute zero sleep or 2-3 hours of sleep most school nights because of great roommates. I consider you lucky but it's still awful. I sympathize. How long has this been going on and are you able to find a cause to this problem?