CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-02-2014, 09:31 PM   #11
Keith Miller

Profile:
Re: Dumb Question - Quad Ache while Driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Such as -- oh, I dunno -- seeing a doctor?.....

- Mark
Yeah, that!!

Seriously, though, I've had this long enough that it doesn't really bother me all that much. Also, I'm out of work and don't have insurance. Once I'm working again, I'll definitely be in to get it checked out along with a few other minor things.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:25 PM   #12
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Miller View Post
I don't know how serious this is, but I've had this exact same issue for the last several years. Pretty much as long as I've been consistently lifting, primarily squatting and doing the Oly lifts. For what it's worth, I've done the foam rolling and not seen very much improvement. Luckily, during longer road trips, I have to pee often, so I just do some quick quad stretches before getting back in the car. Also, I try to not squat much volume before starting the trip, either there or back. High intensity doesn't seem to do anything, but higher volume squats will definitely make it worse.

I would be in for whatever people come up with to figure out what's going on.
Assuming there is not a more serious medical issue at work here, then I would think the hip flexors are just getting a lot of work and getting stiff. When you sit for long periods they are in a shortened position which doesn't feel great as you know. Maybe try things like bridges, RDLs or other glute work before workouts. Long mild stretches of hip flexors like in a couch stretch. "Supine groin" exercise from Egoscue is fantastic for chronic hip tightness. Myofascial release to adductors, TFL, piriformis, and of course continue with the hip flexors. Try rolling out the whole quad to see if that helps. Believe it or not the hip flexors get pretty well worked in a lengthened position in a pushup/plank exercise. Can also try chop/lift exercises from Gray Cook - he has some in a lunge position that I would think will stretch the HFs. Google "thomas test" and have someone stretch you in that position - that one is pretty intense. Sometimes doing just upper body for two or three days in row will calm down the hips.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:54 PM   #13
Keith Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew G. Greenberg View Post
Assuming there is not a more serious medical issue at work here, then I would think the hip flexors are just getting a lot of work and getting stiff. When you sit for long periods they are in a shortened position which doesn't feel great as you know. Maybe try things like bridges, RDLs or other glute work before workouts. Long mild stretches of hip flexors like in a couch stretch. "Supine groin" exercise from Egoscue is fantastic for chronic hip tightness. Myofascial release to adductors, TFL, piriformis, and of course continue with the hip flexors. Try rolling out the whole quad to see if that helps. Believe it or not the hip flexors get pretty well worked in a lengthened position in a pushup/plank exercise. Can also try chop/lift exercises from Gray Cook - he has some in a lunge position that I would think will stretch the HFs. Google "thomas test" and have someone stretch you in that position - that one is pretty intense. Sometimes doing just upper body for two or three days in row will calm down the hips.
Thanks Andrew!! I'll take a look at all that this weekend!!
Old 01-05-2014, 10:09 AM   #14
Jeremy Schultz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C Blattner View Post
Dumb question, perhaps, but is it really your quads? I ask because for a long time I had discomfort in the hip flexors in my right leg - apparently because I was using them to hold my foot in position vis-a-vis the accelerator and brake. Once I figured it out and did some hip-flexor stretches it went away.

In any event I wonder if stretching and/or foam-rolling the affected area would help?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew G. Greenberg View Post
Almost certainly repeated motions of hip flexion while driving are causing hip flexors to go into painful spasm. Probably not a venous issue unless you already have a history of venous disease, but can't hurt to mention it to your GP during your next physical. Quick fix would be stretching of hip flexors, use cruise control, etc. Source: PT student.
Just wanted to mention that I had to make a 13-hour drive yesterday, not by choice and on fairly crappy, icy roads.

The point is, however, that I made a conscious effort for most of the trip to keep my right hip-flexor relaxed - and my leg ached MUCH LESS than it has in years!

I would say that, for me at least, the hip-flexor-spasm diagnosis is most likely right-on. Now, I will know to use cruise control and keep off that hip-flexor and I think I will be able to drive without dreading it again (I hope).

Thanks a lot for all the help!
Old 01-05-2014, 10:43 AM   #15
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Schultz View Post
Just wanted to mention that I had to make a 13-hour drive yesterday, not by choice and on fairly crappy, icy roads.

The point is, however, that I made a conscious effort for most of the trip to keep my right hip-flexor relaxed - and my leg ached MUCH LESS than it has in years!

I would say that, for me at least, the hip-flexor-spasm diagnosis is most likely right-on. Now, I will know to use cruise control and keep off that hip-flexor and I think I will be able to drive without dreading it again (I hope).

Thanks a lot for all the help!
Awesome, post again if it flares up.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:24 PM   #16
Mustafa Tahir

Profile:

Definitely hip flexor/hip pain due to keeping ur foot on the brake etc. I get this too, avoid driving as much as possible, and mobilise those hips.