CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 10-13-2013, 12:49 AM   #1
Omar Mendoza

Profile:
Knee Buckle On Snatch 135#

Okay, how bad is this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdPMZ...ature=youtu.be

I think I'm landing off balance with my center of gravity way too far forward. And advice on how to catch the snatch more efficiently on the heels?

An then there's this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf7t-...ature=youtu.be

I know, I probably should of dumped it ASAP, but I have a hard time thinking clearly when I have weight overhead

The next attempts after this I dumped the weight when I had any sign of catching in an unstable position.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:43 AM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Knee Buckle On Snatch 135#

Believe it or not, those misses both come all the way back to your first pull. Your hips are far too high throughout, so the bar is too far away from you from the start. Then you are pulling it into you hips instead of extending and meeting it with your hips, which is causing you to catch way forward and practically on your toes.

Start with your hips lower and maintain a constant back angle until the bar passes your knees. Then extend your hips much faster while still keeping the bar in close to your body.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Omar Mendoza

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Believe it or not, those misses both come all the way back to your first pull. Your hips are far too high throughout, so the bar is too far away from you from the start. Then you are pulling it into you hips instead of extending and meeting it with your hips, which is causing you to catch way forward and practically on your toes.

Start with your hips lower and maintain a constant back angle until the bar passes your knees. Then extend your hips much faster while still keeping the bar in close to your body.
Great, this helps a lot. Thanks! I wish today wasn't a rest day, so I could implement this right away.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Also you might want to widen your pulling stance a bit. Might help you get your hips a little lower more easily.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Try slowing down your first pull. Putting emphasis on slowing the first pull will make it easier to focus on position. Also, the bar needs to accelerate once it passes your knees, if your first pull is fast you can't accelerate for the second.

Lastly, without getting into the jump-shrug vs catapult thing, this is not a position you want to find yourself in while snatching. If you have aspirations to snatch heavier weights, you'll need to learn to pull youself under the bar quickly. If your feet are off the ground this far you won't be able to pull underneath.

Your flexibilty looks good and once you tweak a few things you'll see big gains. Keep it up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-10-14-10-32-46.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	12964  
Old 10-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Wintczak View Post
Lastly, without getting into the jump-shrug vs catapult thing, this is not a position you want to find yourself in while snatching. If you have aspirations to snatch heavier weights, you'll need to learn to pull youself under the bar quickly. If your feet are off the ground this far you won't be able to pull underneath.
This is a great point. As soon as your feet leave the ground you have lost the ability to apply force to the bar whether to pull the bar up or to pull yourself under the bar. Keep contact with the ground for as long as you can. If you watch really good lifters, in the snatch, clean, and jerk, their feet leave the ground not to jump, but simply to slide out to get into their catch position.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
Omar Mendoza

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Wintczak View Post
Try slowing down your first pull. Putting emphasis on slowing the first pull will make it easier to focus on position. Also, the bar needs to accelerate once it passes your knees, if your first pull is fast you can't accelerate for the second.

Your flexibilty looks good and once you tweak a few things you'll see big gains. Keep it up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
This is a great point. As soon as your feet leave the ground you have lost the ability to apply force to the bar whether to pull the bar up or to pull yourself under the bar. Keep contact with the ground for as long as you can. If you watch really good lifters, in the snatch, clean, and jerk, their feet leave the ground not to jump, but simply to slide out to get into their catch position.

Awesome, thanks for pointing this out. I have a training session tonight, so I'll definitely work on it.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:52 AM   #8
Omar Mendoza

Profile:

So I did some Snatch 1st pulls, and WOW, I did not feel comfortable doing them at all... It was an off night, but now I have something to work on...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyZ5M...ature=youtu.be