CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 01-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #21
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:
Re: Weight belts again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Whoops. Please disregard what I said about Mikko.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #22
Dan Douglas

Profile:

I dont like shoes or belts. I like oly shoes for oly, only because its easier to get in the starting position.

However, I am recovering from a non-lifting low back thing, and injury always inspires "come to jesus" moments for me. For one resolution, I am going to support the attitude nation, start using a belt to squat, and see how it goes based on all the advocates here.

Worst case scenario I can pad my squat numbers and stop having the old men at globogyms tell me I need to wear a belt for every excersize they see me doing.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #23
Matt Thomas

Profile:

This is not directed only at Dan just wanted to throw some ideas out there.

It is a false assumption to think that using a belt will somehow make you weaker when not using a belt. I always think it's kind of silly when people say "I don't use a belt because I don't want to be weak when I don't have a belt around." It is my experience that this is never the case. As Bill said if your strength goes up using a belt you will see improvements in the same lifts without the belt. One caveat being that I think you need to "practice" without the belt so that you understand how to brace without it. My solution has been to hit warm up sets as high as comfortably possible without the belt and then put the belt on. Adding a belt in this way I have seen both my belted and un belted squat rise between 30-40 pounds in a year. I won't attribute this strictly to the magic of belts. I put a lot more work than usual into squatting in that time period. All I'm saying is using a belt did not make my non belted number stagnate or worsen. They rose right along with the belted numbers.

/ rant.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #24
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
My solution has been to hit warm up sets as high as comfortably possible without the belt and then put the belt on.
Same solution I came up with. When lifting near max I use a 4" power lifting belt. Warm ups and lower work sets no belt. What has happened is as the belted set go up so do the sets without a belt.

Granted this is just one person's personal experience but staying injury free and having both numbers go up is my goal so it works for me.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #25
Matthew Vesey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
My solution has been to hit warm up sets as high as comfortably possible without the belt and then put the belt on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
Same solution I came up with. When lifting near max I use a 4" power lifting belt. Warm ups and lower work sets no belt.
I completely agree with both of you. I have always trained my sets this way. Usually for squats, warm up sets up to 355 are unbelted and everything else is belted. For deadlifts, sets up to 405 unbelted and then belt goes on for everything above that. This method works just fine for me.
Age:24, Height: 5'10, Weight: 180, 5km Row: 17:15.3, 500m Row:1:23.6, BS: 440, DL:540, Press: 205:My Log(WFS)

Old 01-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #26
Clint Harris

Profile:

I typically do the no belt warm up saving it for heavy sets too. But sometimes, I feel it is not unlike trying to squat clean your last weight when everything up to then was a power clean. My body's response is just too different and my form can go to **** when I put it on.
I notice it more on deads than squats. So often I decide on whether or not I will be ending with a heavy weight where it would behoove me to wear one. If so, I'll start with the belt pretty early, if not, I won't use it (but there's always that option if I notice it's tough today). It's usually about 80-90% before I start to consider it a weight where I want to wear one.
I also recently did the 10 rounds BS, SP, DL workout from CFFB. I used 280/145/415 for my weights. While all 3 of these weights I can do belt-less no problem - especially for 1 rep (might start thinking about it for 5's with the squat), I wore one the whole time just because I wanted the same stimulus throughout, and wasn't sure how I'd be towards the end.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #27
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

As Matt does, so do I. No belt till the going gets tough.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #28
Daniel Pope

Profile:

When discussing what the belt does/doesn't do I think it's helpful to understand why wearing a belt helps you lift more weight. The whole idea of using a belt is that it helps increase intra abdominal pressure. this helps support the spine and lets you lift more weight.

Putting on a belt really tight might decrease activation of certain abdominal muscles but that doesn't matter if the pressure goes up enough to support the spine better.

Will wearing a belt all the time decrease the strength of these muscles? I find it does when I wear a belt for a long time (several weeks) and then decide to lift without it.

I do most of my lifting without a belt for crossfit performance. Most crossfit events have a combination of exercises. What happens when deadlifts, burpees and running show up in a met-con? Wear the belt really tight the entire time?

I still really like the belt for maxing though. I'd say it isn't helpful for developing the type of strength you need for varied met-con though.

Dan Pope www.fitnesspainfree.com

Old 01-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #29
Lan Halbert

Profile:

Never used a belt, never will. If I can't lift it naturally then it wasn't meant to be. Crazy part is, I can still get my numbers to rise...crazy huh?

For those belt free lifters, build and keep a strong core before really pushing the numbers towards your max.

Just my .02.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #30
Michael Allen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Pope View Post
Putting on a belt really tight might decrease activation of certain abdominal muscles but that doesn't matter if the pressure goes up enough to support the spine better.
The idea of the belt is to give you abdominals something solid to push against. Deep belly breath and push out against the belt, think "get fat". The belt should not be so tight that it resticts your abdominals from firing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Pope View Post
I do most of my lifting without a belt for crossfit performance. Most crossfit events have a combination of exercises. What happens when deadlifts, burpees and running show up in a met-con? Wear the belt really tight the entire time?
Depends on the weights and the movements.
If a WOD involves lots of bodyweight/monostructural movements (running, pullups, box jumps burpees,etc.) = No belt

If a WOD is mostly weights (Diane, Grace, Isabel, Linda) I will usually use a belt.