CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-20-2013, 02:25 AM   #1
Anders Jensen

Profile:
HG Rogue vs Competition Bumpers

HG Rogue Bumpers
Benefits:
- Cheap

Cons:
- Only in black
- There can be more Competition Bumpers on the bar, than HG bumpers

Competition Bumpers
Benefits:
- There can be more Competition Bumpers on the bar, than HG bumpers
- You can get them in color

Cons
- Expensive

Questions
1. Will the HG bounce more than the Competition Bumpers?
2. Will the Competition Bumpers last longer than the HG bumpers?
3. Other different things?
Old 05-20-2013, 04:27 AM   #2
Evan Traylor

Profile:
Re: HG Rogue vs Competition Bumpers

The competition bumpers will not bounce near as bad as hg, bounce on comp bumpers is minimal. You will probably destroy the hg bumpers over time, you will probably leave the competition bumpers to your grandkids.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:00 AM   #3
Sean Dunston

Profile:

I bought the HG bumpers for my gym.
They are fine for use in wods by the members.
They are not as "bouncy" as other bumpers I've used.
I like them for what they are - cheap bumpers used by the general population. However, they are beginning to get beat up and ours are only 6 months old. The 10s are beginning to taco, and the rubber around the inserts of the 10s, 25s and 45s are beginning to bulge. I haven't had an insert pop out yet, but I know it is only a matter of time. Granted - we are a barbell heavy gym. Meaning, we use our barbells (and bumpers) on a daily basis.

I do want to get color Kg bumpers for use exclusively by my weightlifters.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:15 AM   #4
Anders Jensen

Profile:

Bill from Rogue say in this YouTube clip, that Competition Bumpers are not great for super high reps CrossFit workouts. But they are used in regionals and games, so I am confused.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xmd220uO0xg
Old 05-20-2013, 06:03 AM   #5
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Jensen View Post
Bill from Rogue say in this YouTube clip, that Competition Bumpers are not great for super high reps CrossFit workouts. But they are used in regionals and games, so I am confused.

even if you take the number of lifts performed by all athletes at the games and multiply is by 100 you are not even close to the same amount of abuse a bumper will go through in a normal CF gym. i think that what Bill means is that the competition bumpers are great for well.. competition. if you plan on using the bumpers for day to day Crossfit in your avarage CF gym, you would be better of with the HG or Hi-Temp.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:05 AM   #6
Anders Jensen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snir Golan View Post
even if you take the number of lifts performed by all athletes at the games and multiply is by 100 you are not even close to the same amount of abuse a bumper will go through in a normal CF gym. i think that what Bill means is that the competition bumpers are great for well.. competition. if you plan on using the bumpers for day to day Crossfit in your avarage CF gym, you would be better of with the HG or Hi-Temp.
So the cheap HG bumpers will last longer than the Competition Bumpers, if they are used to CrossFit?
Old 05-20-2013, 06:06 AM   #7
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
So the cheap HG bumpers will last longer than the Competition Bumpers, if they are used to CrossFit?
i would think so since ours have been doing great even after a year plus of non stop abuse.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #8
Chris Bland

Profile:

The HG plates tend to "chip" and get nicked up. The only issue I have ever seen with the competition plates are that some of the printing will fade a little over time. I have a home gym so I can't speak to heavy usage on any of the plates.

I live in Columbus so I pick up my gear at Rogue and when I looked at the HG bumpers that they use at the Rogue gym I was a little disappointed. They looked a little beat up. Hi-Temps still looked like they were holding up great and the competition plates looked to be in good shape as well.

I was going to purchase the HG plates but instead bought the Hi-Temps in the lower weights (10's, 15's, 25's lbs.) and spent the cash on the competition plates for the higher weights (25's - 55's lbs). That might be the way to go for you as well. I only use the competition plates inside on mat's and I don't think I would ever use them outside. I am not sure how well the HG plates would do outside either but since I don't own any I can't recommend either way. I have been happy with the competition plate performance and durability so far over the past 6 months.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #9
Vilan Natanzon

Profile:

Quote:

He says especially the 10kg/25 lbs are not good for crossfit. Since it's still a relatively thin plate and designed to be surrounded by other plates.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #10
Jack R Peer

Profile:

I use the 45 25 and 10 rouge hg in my garage on horse stall mats. They don't bounce at all november thru march and only a small bounce in the warmer months. I'm the only one that uses them so there is no signs of wear and tear. I recommend the hgs to anyone with a garage gym.