CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-19-2012, 07:33 AM   #21
Lucas Niebur

Profile:
Re: Paleo with Carb Back-Loading Principals

Day 3 of the Preparation phase. Seems to be going pretty well so far, almost got off track a few times. The coffee in the morning does a great job of suppressing my appetite so no breakfast is much easier than I thought. I have yet to train during this phase because I started it on my first of two consecutive off days. I will post an update on how I feel after I train during this phase
Old 11-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #22
Joseph Smyth

Profile:

The past month or so I have been following Carb Nite to cut under 15% bf, which is where Kiefer says CBL starts becoming most effective. I am excited to finally switch to the backload this week (timed it up with Thanksgiving!), because I feel like I have been making gains even on the cyclic keto type diet of Carb Nite, so I am hoping they will really explode when I start backloading.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #23
Lucas Niebur

Profile:

So I had my first day of training while on this plan and it went surprisingly well. It was actually a partnered WOD competition here in Afghanistan. Me and my Australian friend took 2nd place! (my coach took first...) But I woke up the next morning not feeling to sore or tired and to my surprise I was able to hold of eating until the afternoon. Although I think I might have slipped up by eating some macadamia nuts at dinner not sure if those are considered usable carbs or fiber carbs??? All in all I am please so far with this plan.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #24
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Niebur View Post
So I had my first day of training while on this plan and it went surprisingly well. It was actually a partnered WOD competition here in Afghanistan. Me and my Australian friend took 2nd place! (my coach took first...) But I woke up the next morning not feeling to sore or tired and to my surprise I was able to hold of eating until the afternoon. Although I think I might have slipped up by eating some macadamia nuts at dinner not sure if those are considered usable carbs or fiber carbs??? All in all I am please so far with this plan.
Nuts are good to go at dinner.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:11 AM   #25
Paulo Santos

Profile:

The last couple of days haven't been too much carb back-loading using "Paleo" foods. Mainly because I've been trying out my wife's cookies for Thanksgiving. Lucky for me, it still works and I'm still feeling good.

Starting tomorrow I'll get back in the swing of things and go back go eating just Paleo foods in my backload.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #26
Nathan Schnur

Profile:

hey yall- I've been playing with this CBL approach lately. I have a question though about my carbs with dinner...

I'm doing 2 baked sweet potatoes (medium ish size) usually with some steak/chicken for dinner. Is that enough or is it too much? I've been bad at judging how many carbs I need normally so I'm not sure.

normally I have a shake before bed too (about 25g protein and carbs) if that helps. I'm just wondering if thats enough or if I should increase/decrease?

Thanks for the help! FWIW I really like CBL so far. worked out pretty well with thanksgiving!
Old 11-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #27
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Schnur View Post
hey yall- I've been playing with this CBL approach lately. I have a question though about my carbs with dinner...

I'm doing 2 baked sweet potatoes (medium ish size) usually with some steak/chicken for dinner. Is that enough or is it too much? I've been bad at judging how many carbs I need normally so I'm not sure.

normally I have a shake before bed too (about 25g protein and carbs) if that helps. I'm just wondering if thats enough or if I should increase/decrease?

Thanks for the help! FWIW I really like CBL so far. worked out pretty well with thanksgiving!
That is nowhere near enough for a backload. If you go over to BB.com, some of the guys your size are eating a whole pizza and about 12 donuts and waking up leaner than the day before. I have a hard time eating anything like that so I was splitting it up between dinner and evening snack. The best I actually felt was when I are:
1/2 turkey and chess sub, 1 big *** slice of pineapple pizza, steak and about 3 sweet potatoes.

Try it see how you feel.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #28
Paulo Santos

Profile:

I'm actually going to go ahead and do the 10 day prep phase so I can say that I did it right. The prep phase is basically the Paleo diet with dairy and peanuts are also ok.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:05 AM   #29
Michelle Stafford

Profile:

I'm on day 4 of the preparation phase, feeling good. The first two days were a little rough, but feeling much better. I feel better throughout the day and stronger during my workouts. Was able to finish reading the book and I'm really excited to give this program a try.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #30
Paul Shortt

Profile:

Are you having a post-workout shake? I've had good results from a water, protein and dextrose shake. The insulin spike is noticeable..

I think if you are going to be eating very dirty, then you need to have a fair bit of muscle mass and have trained heavy, for it to work.