CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #41
Matt Sloan

Profile:
Re: sweet potatoes versus fruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
Have you tried the new Uber Nut roll larabar? Holy mother bleeper of all thing nutty and good.

It's fruit. If fruit is some how causing people to gain weight or not lose weight then there is problems somewhere else in their diet. The fruit isnt the problem.
once again you are speaking for the entire population
Old 06-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #42
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Sloan View Post
Problem is most people that challenge the Fruitopobia people think that they can speak for the entire population
And the fruitophobes don't? I'm not the one making people afraid to eat bananas.

Katherine

Last edited by Katherine Derbyshire : 06-11-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #43
Matt Sloan

Profile:

[quote=Katherine Derbyshire;1068594]And the fruitophobes don't? I'm not the one making people afraid to eat bananas.

Katherine[/QUOTE

Yes we kinda do that as well, but at least we don't say eat this and everything will be ok! As I have said in the past- Do what works for you, and if you don't know then experiment
Old 06-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #44
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Main advantage a fruit has over a sweet potatoe to me is that it can be eaten raw, preserving the vitamins and also phytonutrients, the value of which is just beginning to be appreciated.
A sweet potato also has fructose ... so choose your poison carefully.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #45
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
once again you are speaking for the entire population
Lol....you're funny.

I stand by my post. If a person believes fruit is causing weight gain or is hindering there weight loss goals then something else is wrong with there diet. The fruit isn't the problem so yes, I am speaking for the population.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #46
Matt Sloan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
Lol....you're funny.

I stand by my post. If a person believes fruit is causing weight gain or is hindering there weight loss goals then something else is wrong with there diet. The fruit isn't the problem so yes, I am speaking for the population.
LOL! Stick to what works for you!
Old 06-12-2012, 01:27 AM   #47
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
LOL! Stick to what works for you!
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/res...ch-review.html (NOT WFS, language, it's Lyle...)

Written last year, still relevant. You can also take a look at the review he wrote 10 years ago:

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/di...th-102126.html (might not be WFS either due to language)

Quote:
Overall, the last group, those with high insulin and high triglyceride levels tends to be the most sensitive to the negative effects of fructose in terms of increasing VLDL triglyceride levels (3). The other three groups show a distinctly less pronounced effect. This makes some sense as such individuals would normally have skewed physiology to begin with. I should point out that hyperinsulinemic/hypertriglyceridemic folks aren't very indicative of the average lean athlete consuming a healthy bodybuilding/sports oriented diet.
In other words, as Luke pointed out, if you are healthy, no reason to fret. And why wouldn't it work for cutting if calories are restricted? You are either saying that fructose calories are somehow different or that it affects partitioning. Either way...proof please.

I can't believe we're actually debating whether or not fruit is healthy. I saw an IMAX 3D movie about orangutans and they were eating fruit left and right. They might have been bulking though
Old 06-12-2012, 08:27 AM   #48
Sara Mathews

Profile:

I don't want to get in the middle of this but can I just throw in that if someone is concerned about the fructose in fruit they could put more emphasis on low fructose berries? They have a considerably lower amount in comparison to some others, in addition to some great antioxidants and phytochemicals.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #49
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

I too would have to say if you think fruit is making you fat you are lying to yourself about the rest of your diet. A few pieces of fruit a day aren't going to ravage you. About the only case of getting fat from fruit that I know of is a guy I read about in the news who was eating a caloric surplus from bananas daily. I hate bananas anyway, but love the flavoring in my shakes. I try and stick with berries and apples but don't shy away from mangos and the such. An apple is less than 100 calories in most cases. If that is busting your diet up I think you are missing something somewhere else.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #50
Bob Herald

Profile:

I got absolutely ripped some time ago eating only these foods... Bananas, eggs, turkey burgers, almonds, apples, larabars, and those greek yogurts with the fruit in the bottom. nothing but fruit and protein. Had abs for the first time in my life