CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-15-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
Jeff Ventura

Profile:
Yell at me about my diet

God, another 'am I eating enough' thread. I know, I know. After I post this I'll go punch myself in the face.

I am male, 43, 6' 2", 199 lbs. Bodyfat is around 12-13%. I don't know max lift numbers (because I am an *awesome* record keeper), but I can tell you that I bench 250 lbs for 5 reps, DL about 325 for 5 and press 135. I squat with 245 for 5, but I have really bad ankles and their mobility, um, needs work.

When I first started CF and 'paleo', I messed myself up: I wasn't eating enough, and as a result I got pretty immunosuppressed. I had WBC numbers come back low, and T was also low (around 300). A the time, I weighed about 187 lbs and had about 11% BF.

All the while, my goal was weight gain.

I figured I had to eat more. So I did. I got bloods re-drawn and my WBC was fine, and T was up to 580.

I'm up to 199 lbs today, which took me a year to get to. I still struggle with how much I have to eat, because I want lean gains, not any more increase in BF.

Part of me wonders if I'm still eating too little, and that's actually making bodyfat hold on instead of be used as fuel. Is that possible?

My goal is to get to 210 lbs and keep bodyfat at 12% or under. My daily calories swing between 2200-3500, with 3500 being the cheat/re-feed day. I want to see more lbs on my main lifts, too. I workout 4x per week, sometimes 5. I did 12 weeks of heavy Starting Strength, and now I'm on Dan John's 40-day Workout/Easy Strength (WFS) as a de-load phase.

Any suggestions? Am I on the right track? Will Katherine come in and tell me I need to eat more, like everyone else who posts these threads? Did you REALLY read all of this?

You guys are great.

Right. Off to punch myself in the face now.

Last edited by Jeff Ventura : 06-15-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Yell at me about my diet

Katherine is on vacation and had a delicious bison burger for dinner last night. So she's feeling mellow.

However, most people will tell you that adding muscle without adding fat is a slow, difficult process. Possible, but slow.

Katherine
Old 06-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #3
Jeff Ventura

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Katherine is on vacation and had a delicious bison burger for dinner last night. So she's feeling mellow.

However, most people will tell you that adding muscle without adding fat is a slow, difficult process. Possible, but slow.

Katherine
So it's the bulk and cut routine?
Old 06-16-2012, 04:50 AM   #4
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Ventura View Post
Part of me wonders if I'm still eating too little, and that's actually making bodyfat hold on instead of be used as fuel. Is that possible?
No.

Quote:
Any suggestions?
AIS Sports Nutrition Factsheet - Increasing Muscle Mass. (wfs)
Old 06-16-2012, 07:24 AM   #5
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Ventura View Post
God, another 'am I eating enough' thread. I know, I know. After I post this I'll go punch myself in the face.

I am male, 43, 6' 2", 199 lbs. Bodyfat is around 12-13%. I don't know max lift numbers (because I am an *awesome* record keeper), but I can tell you that I bench 250 lbs for 5 reps, DL about 325 for 5 and press 135. I squat with 245 for 5, but I have really bad ankles and their mobility, um, needs work.

When I first started CF and 'paleo', I messed myself up: I wasn't eating enough, and as a result I got pretty immunosuppressed. I had WBC numbers come back low, and T was also low (around 300). A the time, I weighed about 187 lbs and had about 11% BF.

All the while, my goal was weight gain.

I figured I had to eat more. So I did. I got bloods re-drawn and my WBC was fine, and T was up to 580.

I'm up to 199 lbs today, which took me a year to get to. I still struggle with how much I have to eat, because I want lean gains, not any more increase in BF.

My goal is to get to 210 lbs and keep bodyfat at 12% or under. My daily calories swing between 2200-3500, with 3500 being the cheat/re-feed day. I want to see more lbs on my main lifts, too. I workout 4x per week, sometimes 5. I did 12 weeks of heavy Starting Strength, and now I'm on Dan John's 40-day Workout/Easy Strength (WFS) as a de-load phase.

Any suggestions? Am I on the right track? Will Katherine come in and tell me I need to eat more, like everyone else who posts these threads? Did you REALLY read all of this?

You guys are great.

Right. Off to punch myself in the face now.
You have to realize that at 43 you can't add muscle like an ectomorphic teenager who's just discovered what a bench press is. Muscle mass gain will be slow even if you eat a lot and you will gain fat in the process. A lot of fat if you do something stupid like GOMAD, less so if you do it in a more reasonable way.

That being said, at 200lb, a 3500 calorie cheat day sounds a bit on the low side. I'd make that maybe 2800 on off days (maintenance), 3500 on lifting days and see where that gets you. Might need to go higher still. Eventually you will hit 15% BF at which point you diet down to about 10-12% again (while holding on to the muscle mass) and restart. You are asking for a 10lb muscle gain, that'll take at least half a year, more likely a year to accomplish if you do everything right. You can do training to increase the amount of sarcoplasmic fluid in your muscles, but as for the actual protein stuff, yeah....that'll take a while.

Also, don't try the whole "I am gonna keep the same bodyfat percentage while bulking." I am not telling you to do GOMAD or 6000 calories a day, but you have no business eating 2200 calories if you are trying to gain muscle mass. Just monitor your body and when you get to 15%, cut back till you see your abs again and then build back up. Trying to keep the same BF percentage basically has people spinning their wheels without getting anywhere, better to have distinct bulking and cutting periods.