CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 08-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
Shane Jensen

Profile:
205 Snatch Fail (Agonizingly Close)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIQlm6kU0Gc (Minor non WFS due to profanity after I miss the lift)

As you guys can see I'm starting to get a little frustrated about continuing to miss this weight. 195 has almost become casual, I haven't missed that weight in over a month.

I know I rushed up out of the bottom here, but any other advice will be much appreciated.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
Matthew Swartz

Profile:
Re: 205 Snatch Fail (Agonizingly Close)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Jensen View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIQlm6kU0Gc (Minor non WFS due to profanity after I miss the lift)

As you guys can see I'm starting to get a little frustrated about continuing to miss this weight. 195 has almost become casual, I haven't missed that weight in over a month.

I know I rushed up out of the bottom here, but any other advice will be much appreciated.
That is damn close. I would take your time and settle at the bottom before you start to rise. You had a wiggle in your right shoulder and started to squat through it and it ended up in a failed lift. I chuckled at your 205x0 title though. Keep up the good lifting.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
Shane Jensen

Profile:

Thanks dude. I think I was so surprised to finally turn the bar over and get it down at the bottom that that's what caused me to rush from the bottom.

I did two things today that I think helped me out, I worked up to a heavy snatch balance single and I went with a little wider grip than I had been using in the past.

Will do both of those again next week and finally knock this off. Can't see a single reason why I shouldn't be snatching 210-215 right now. Just have to do it.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Shane, have you tried the wave technique? It often works when you fail with a weight you should make.

For example, you might do it like this:

Warmup 40 kilos x 2
60kg, 70kg, 80kg, 85kg, 90kg, 93kg (fail)
Okay, so you missed that pr. Time to go back down, then wave up:
82kg, 87kg, 90kg, 92kg (pr)
84kg, 88kg, 93kg (pr)
If you make that and are still feeling spunky, you can keep the wave going:
85kg, 90kg 94kg (pr)

So each wave is a little bit higher than the last, building on successful lift after successful lift. It's a variant of grease the groove in some respects. This is opposed to the brute force "let's keep trying a pr over and over until we get it" method.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
Shane Jensen

Profile:

I've played around with taking weight off the bar after a miss and then working back up in the past (although not to the extent that you've detailed).

Part of the problem I think is that over the last month or so I've really been pressed for time on Monday's (generally the day that I snatch) due to coaching obligations so I've had to kind of go with that brute force approach despite its inefficiency.

Contrast that with Thursdays (when I've been clean and jerking) where I have as much time as I want, and as a result I've put eight kilos on my Clean and Jerk over the last six weeks.

It seems like the smart thing to do would be to flip the days I do each lift and implement the approach that you've detailed to break through this sticking point.

Last edited by Shane Jensen : 08-08-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Not a bad lift. You know you need to settle in at the bottom, so work on that of course. This doesn't apply to everyone necessarily, but in my experience when going for a max too much set up time is detrimental. Get your mind right off camera, approach the bar, 2 breaths, set, 1 breath, adjust hook grip, 1 deep breath, GO. You can't think too much when you're trying to be powerful and fast.

You might also try sitting up a little more vertically in the setup for your first pull and fighting to maintain that as you move. You butt rises noticeably first which is going to force you to try and catch the weight in a more forward inclined position -- hard on the shoulders and perhaps one of the reasons why you lost it over the back. 205# is my max also but can come and go on any given day. Sometimes you gotta drop back down to 200# or 195# and call it a win for the day. Getting several on the minute singles at 80-90% is also a great way to get some extra technical work in. As you know by now, the speed/tech/focus required for a max snatch is vastly different than at 75% and below, so getting a lot of reps in where it's challenging but not likely to fail is good psychological practice and neuromuscular prep.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #7
Andrew Breyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
Shane, have you tried the wave technique? It often works when you fail with a weight you should make.

For example, you might do it like this:

Warmup 40 kilos x 2
60kg, 70kg, 80kg, 85kg, 90kg, 93kg (fail)
Okay, so you missed that pr. Time to go back down, then wave up:
82kg, 87kg, 90kg, 92kg (pr)
84kg, 88kg, 93kg (pr)
If you make that and are still feeling spunky, you can keep the wave going:
85kg, 90kg 94kg (pr)

So each wave is a little bit higher than the last, building on successful lift after successful lift. It's a variant of grease the groove in some respects. This is opposed to the brute force "let's keep trying a pr over and over until we get it" method.
This is interesting.... I am going to have to try that.

I nailed 205 quite cleanly a few weeks ago, but for some reason there is a mental block at 215. I know that 225 is in the wheelhouse, and a goal of mine for the end of summer.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:33 PM   #8
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

Stay in the bottom position for a couple seconds when performing your snatches(especially the warmups) before recovering.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:59 AM   #9
Brian Blaston

Profile:

Good fail...that weight has to be messing with you so bad right now. Agree about the long setup being detrimental. You need someone to load your bar and tell you its 195lbs when it is really 215lbs...at least thats what i need in my life!
Old 08-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #10
Geoff Archibald

Profile:

I'm at nowhere near this level but I had a serious mental block at 135#. I knew I had more in me though so one day when working up to a 1RM I failed at 135 and just went on to 140 and made it. It's amazing how much sport psychology there is in Oly-lifting.