CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-08-2011, 05:37 AM   #1
Jack Stafford

Profile:
P90X to CrossFit transition

Hi guys,

Been lurking on CrossFit for a while now.

I've been doing P90X for around 18 months. It has been fantastic and i've seen excellent results and I cannot recommend it enough. However, as much as it improves your body shape and fitness I think it lacks in strength. Dont get me wrong, I am stronger now than I was when I started P90X but I feel as though CrossFit would make me stronger and also fitter, which is what i'm looking for.

I have also, in some ways, gotten used to the workouts of P90X. Even though a lot of workouts still make me suffer, I think i've plateud a bit and need another challenge. I must say that i'm not in anyway bored of P90X, I still love it and will probably come back to it at some point, its just I think i'm in need of a change.

Plus, having completed my first WoD, I must say I haven't felt that exhausted for a while and am hungry for more.

I am concerned though that I am not 'ready' for these BIG moves such as power clean, jerks, etc as you dont do them as part of P90X.

What would you advise? Is it worth integrating something like Strong Lifts 5x5 into my schedule to get used to big lifts? Or is it a case of seriously scaling down each WoD and reasearching proper technique until I get used to the moves?
Old 06-08-2011, 06:53 AM   #2
Dave Traeger

Profile:
Re: P90X to CrossFit transition

I thought p90x was a 90 day plan not an 18 month one?

It'll probably put you in a really good place to try crossfit considering some of us started with no workout experience. It'll still be a big step up I'm guessing, but if you've got the determination / dedication to stick with p90x that long, crossfit may come easy?

The movements aren't the issue, you'll learn them in due course.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:00 AM   #3
David Hansen

Profile:

Join an affiliate or hire an oly lifting coach for some training sessions.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
Jack Stafford

Profile:

I doubt it will be easy !

Yeah P90X is 90 days but I just carried on ha! Exercise / Fitness is a big part of my life now.

I started off doing it 7 days a week for 90 days with no slacking. Then the girlfriend got a bit annoyed that I was spending so much time exercising once I was back from work (partly the reason why I want to take up CrossFit, the reduced workout time!) so I decided to only workout 5 days out of 7. I have been doing routines of P90X, boxing, P90X, boxing, P90X for some time now, plus adding in some runs. Which I have really enjoyed.

But like I say, I feel I want to step things up now.

I suppose its all progressive so i'll scale the workouts to what i think i'm capable of until I find my feet.

My first WoD was taken from CF Endurance. 3x 7 minute sprints w/3 min rest in between. I hadn't done a lot of this type of running before but my oh my did I enjoy it! My first 7 minute sprint I did 1.05 miles. I'd never ran that fast over that distance ever (not that I ever tried!!) but I broke down a boundary which felt good. I like the randomness CF provides. I like that you cant be sure whats coming next.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:43 AM   #5
David Hansen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Stafford View Post
Then the girlfriend got a bit annoyed that I was spending so much time exercising once I was back from work (partly the reason why I want to take up CrossFit, the reduced workout time!)
1. I'm going to warn you up front that friends/family/significant others who are wholly unsupportive of positive lifestyle changes are an issue that needs to be addressed early. If there is a conflict right now, it will likely get worse with time.

2. CrossFit is not *not* only about the WODs. Do some research on typical CF training routines, pay attention to time spent. If you have a 5 minute Fran, and the WOD is Fran, your total time spent training should not be 5 minutes. Most of us spend a lot more time doing things like warming up, skills training, independent strength training, and mobility work than the time spent doing the actual WOD.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:48 AM   #6
Willis Holder

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Stafford View Post
Hi guys,

Been lurking on CrossFit for a while now.

I've been doing P90X for around 18 months. It has been fantastic and i've seen excellent results and I cannot recommend it enough. However, as much as it improves your body shape and fitness I think it lacks in strength. Dont get me wrong, I am stronger now than I was when I started P90X but I feel as though CrossFit would make me stronger and also fitter, which is what i'm looking for.

I have also, in some ways, gotten used to the workouts of P90X. Even though a lot of workouts still make me suffer, I think i've plateud a bit and need another challenge. I must say that i'm not in anyway bored of P90X, I still love it and will probably come back to it at some point, its just I think i'm in need of a change.

Plus, having completed my first WoD, I must say I haven't felt that exhausted for a while and am hungry for more.

I am concerned though that I am not 'ready' for these BIG moves such as power clean, jerks, etc as you dont do them as part of P90X.

What would you advise? Is it worth integrating something like Strong Lifts 5x5 into my schedule to get used to big lifts? Or is it a case of seriously scaling down each WoD and reasearching proper technique until I get used to the moves?

If you want to get stronger as a priority, I'd suggest you not do CrossFit main page as your program.

There are a few strength/CrossFit hybrid programs out there (some being actively discussed on the Fitness board). Many affiliates incorporate strength work into their programming as well.

I like doing linear progression and adding in short conditioning workouts (WODs) a couple of times a week. There are a lot of WODs that don't involve a lot of technical precision. Those are the ones I stick with - stuff with running, box jumps, rowing, pushups, etc.

Not that I don't like cleans, snatches, etc. - but I don't do those in a timed environment since they require a greater adherence to proper form.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:20 AM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

If you need a start on the big lifts and don't have any good coaches nearby (or don't have the money for personal coaching), buy and read Greg Everett's Olympic Weightlifting book and the Starting Strength book and DVD, start light, and post videos on Digital Coaching for review.

I second Willis's suggestion that you not do CF.com if you want to get strong fast. Yes, it is possible for a novice to get stronger by doing CF.com, but he could get a lot stronger much quicker by doing a program like GSLP, 70s Big, CFFB, or CF conjugate.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #8
Joshua Gritton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
If you need a start on the big lifts and don't have any good coaches nearby (or don't have the money for personal coaching), buy and read Greg Everett's Olympic Weightlifting book and the Starting Strength book and DVD, start light, and post videos on Digital Coaching for review.

I second Willis's suggestion that you not do CF.com if you want to get strong fast. Yes, it is possible for a novice to get stronger by doing CF.com, but he could get a lot stronger much quicker by doing a program like GSLP, 70s Big, CFFB, or CF conjugate.
+1 No doubt too many people just start off with the mainpage without a strength biased program and the suck gets hard really fast when things get heavy. I personally suggest the GSLP and the 70's big as I did both for a while before having to hit the field. Good programs solid basis.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:57 AM   #9
David Z Sachs

Profile:

I'm going to third the idea of doing a strength based program with conditioning built in as opposed to CF.com

To explain, I did Crossfit at an affiliate that programmed mostly metcons...20-30 minute metcons. That was pretty much it, maybe one strength day prior to the metcon once a week. I leaned out... and then I noticed my lifts stayed where they were, if not getting smaller. I also became what a lot of people call skinny fat. I was pretty good at conditioning style work outs, but anything involving medium to heavy weights was destroying me.

I switched to a globo gym doing CF football on my own...the results have been outstanding. My conditioning is about the same, maybe slightly worse, but I'm faster and stronger than I've ever been. My 1.5 mile time has dropped significantly(I only list this because it is the only run I'm concerned with), the ONLY downside is my body weight exercises have suffered slightly... but nothing ridiculous.

I really regret not having the knowledge I do now, and not starting with a strength program for 3 months before I started Crossfit... I think the results would have been much better.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #10
David Z Sachs

Profile:

I'd also really recommend if you decide to go to an affiliate to make a smart decision. They aren't cheap, and they aren't all equal. Research them, post around here and get help deciding which affiliates programming would best suit your goals.