CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-03-2007, 05:37 PM   #1
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Hello folks,

In starting strength, Rippetoe recommends the standard version of the deadlift as being better for overall athletic strength/skill. Other than mimicking the same starting position as the clean, what is the advantage of the standard deadlift as compared to sumo? Can most people lift more weight sumo-style? If so, would this be similar to doing the low-position back squat since more weight could be used?

Just curious what others think, thanks...

howard
Old 04-03-2007, 08:14 PM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
I've heard because the distance is less, more weight can be pulled?

I've actually wondered if these are good to start off instead of traditional deadlift since I know someone who can get lower when going sumo. He has pure hip flexibility and complains of knee problems when squatting deep ( mainly because his lack of proper squat technique and flexibility ). Maybe these will build up the hip flexibility early on? Dunno.

Never did Sumo Deadlifts, but we used to do a lot of sumo deadlifts, besides horse stance in other stuff.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:35 AM   #3
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Some people can lift more sumo, some lift more conventional.

Pros - more upright back which is easier for some people, more leg involvement, shorter range of motion. I have a short client and when she sumo's the bar only moves about 10 inches to lockout.

Cons - less transfer to the power clean, clean, snatch and jumping movements. Doesn't work the lower back as hard which is a disadvantage when you are training people for other sports.

In certain circumstances sumo deadlifts would be considered less functional but sometimes when deadlifting heavy awkward stuff like tyres, kegs and rocks you end up having to go sumo to get close to the item.

I normally teach conventional deads to people and then if they do strongman they get a bit of sumo work doing tyre flips.

If you are a competitive PL sumo may give you an edge.

Horses for courses in this case.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:30 AM   #4
Michael Ledney

Profile:
I've done both at various stages in my life. At this point (39 y/o) sumo style makes my knees hurt for days after a heavy bout of DLs. Somthing about the angle of the legs just kills something in there.

Been doing exclusively conventional for the past 10 months or so and have eclipsed my sumo-style PR by ~10%. Clean/Snatch haven't benefited much, but I'm more catch limited than pull limited on those lifts.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:43 AM   #5
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Simple solution--do both, get the benefits of both.

We do all sorts of squat variations--why should this be any different? Suitcase-style DL, sumo DL, one-arm DL...just like OHS, FS, BS, "B" squats, etc.

As Don said, sumo style IS functional, depending on the dimensions of what you have to lift in "real life".
Old 04-04-2007, 10:43 AM   #6
Brad Davis

Profile:
Donno, but I can lift a lot more sumo. When I competed, I could sumo 495x3 (no bouncing!) at 181, but could barely get 405x1 conventional. I have to think lifting heavier weights must be a good thing, LOL. There's PLENTY of lower back involved in a heavy sumo lift too.

(Message edited by dbradd on April 04, 2007)