CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 12-15-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
Maggi Young

Profile:
CF/Paleo Isolation

I've jumped head first into both and seem to be isolating myself from friends and social stuff as a result.

I went on a date lastnight for the first time in weeks, mainly because I'm afraid to eat out at restaurants for fear of veering from Paleo. I skipped the gym to go on it (rest day can't hurt) and now am feeling like I wanna skip today, too. That's why I wanted to stay focused and not do anything social for at least my first 30 days (2 weeks in).

Am I weird? Am I the only one who finds it hard to balance social outings and CF/Paleo? I hate to isolate myself, but it seems difficult to keep steady otherwise.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: CF/Paleo Isolation

Isolation is bad.

If you can't eat Paleo at a restaurant, you need to get your date to take you to better places: green salad, chunk of grilled meat, veggies instead of starch, skip the rolls, done.

Katherine
Old 12-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
Maggi Young

Profile:

My date lastnight is very into fitness, so we had no problem deciding on a place (seafood) and I didn't feel weird asking for no sauces/drinking just water/etc.

I guess I just fear going out with my regular friends who aren't familiar with this style of eating/fitness regimen and being made to feel weird or pressured. Plus, just breaking routine and skipping the gym for a date really threw off my motivation.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Hopefully you can resist peer pressure at this point in your life, and hopefully you won't have to deal with friends who are opposed to you doing something as silly as wanting to eat stuff that's good for you and avoid stuff that you know will make you look and feel worse. You can try to educate them, but don't waste too much time worrying about people who are trying to get in the way of you reaching your goals.

I'm not saying to be a total shut-in and excommunicate all your non-CF/non-Paleo friends, but they should be supportive of you trying to make healthy changes in your life.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
Shane Skowron

Profile:

On the other hand, you can always just go out and enjoy yourself once in awhile.

A healthy body is useless without a healthy mind.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:23 PM   #6
Allen Tluczek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
On the other hand, you can always just go out and enjoy yourself once in awhile.

Yeah this. I don't do paleo, but there are a large number of things I know are going to make me regret eating them. Sometimes, because I like my friends and don't feel like being a pain, I'll go along with the pizza delivery option, eat my half of the pizza, and spend the next day slightly regretting it.
It normally takes quite a lot for me to take a rest day when the gym is open, though.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:48 PM   #7
Maggi Young

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post

Totally agree, but because I'm so early into it and showing a lot of progress, I don't wanna screw it up just yet and get of course. I've been hard core for a solid 15 days, very strict about working out and eating right, I skip one normally-scheduled gym night and BAM, I start thinking "Wellllll, I'll just skip tonight, too, and just go Thursday and Friday..."

Scary how easy it was for me to lose motivation.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #8
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Maybe you need to recheck your goals and how badly you want to achieve them if you lose motivation. Or keep something around to keep you motivated. Like a picture or something like that. (like for me my FB pic is a pic of a Viking warrior and anytime I think about taking it easy I look at the Viking pic and go "He's not taking it easy").

And what could your friends be doing that would exclude you if you want to stay healthy? They go to a restaurant find something paleo. I mean even at a mexican restaurant you can stay paleo (as i have discovered). If they're going out drinking there's nothing wrong with not drinking and just hanging out. I know plenty of people that do it and that person is usually thanked at the end of the night because they're the one sober enough to drive.

Or maybe you've lost motivation because you've been too strict and possibly sucked the fun out of it.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #9
Maggi Young

Profile:

Not to mention, I'm not just referring to close friends. Friends of friends and coworkers are super judgmental. I doubt I'm the only one who experiences rude looks, eye rolling, etc when I say something like "Oh, I don't eat candy." as was the case today when presented with an xmas gift from a coworker.

"You don't eat CANDY??"

"No."

"It's the holidays. I don't think a few pieces of candy will hurt anything."

I've sat here for 7 hrs looking at a Lindt truffle, candy cane, 2 mini Snickers and 3 Hershey kisses so as not to offend the lady.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:01 PM   #10
Maggi Young

Profile:

@Jason - My goals are on point. Today is the only time I've questioned my motivation to go to the gym. I've never even once wavered on my food choices.

I didn't become overweight because I'm easily motivated to work out. CF is the only thing that has provided a challenge and enough variety to make it interesting for my taste. I just haven't found the balance yet, probably because I'm so new to it.