CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-24-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:
recovery week ?

So the extent of my fitness knowledge is P90X and Insanity, both of which had a "recovery week" built in every 5th week. Should I do something similar with crossfit. I just started a month ago and been doing either 3on-1off or 5on-2off depending on the week. After doing that for 5 weeks straight should I take a week and lower the intensity or is that just the wrong thought process? Sorry for the noobish question.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:43 AM   #2
Troy Becker

Profile:
Re: recovery week ?

That really just depends on you. If you feel draggy and beat down, yes. If you feel vibrant and awesome, no. If it's somewhere in the middle, use your best judgment and experiment.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
Olen Gifford

Profile:

Sometime when I get sluggish, I will move to a 1 on, 1 off schedule. I wouldn't advise you to take more than 2 or 3 days off in a row, EVER.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
Matthew Baldwin

Profile:

The answer is "yes, probably."
Old 12-24-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Have a gander..
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...e-of-rest.html (wfs)
Old 12-24-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olen Gifford View Post
Sometime when I get sluggish, I will move to a 1 on, 1 off schedule. I wouldn't advise you to take more than 2 or 3 days off in a row, EVER.
Why not?
Old 12-24-2010, 07:10 PM   #7
Alix Floyd

Profile:

I'm a big fan of recovery weeks. After them, I have consistently PR'd on lifts and WODs. Now, granted, I've only been doing Crossfit since May.

I've recently done some reading and have found that if one decides to opt out of a recovery week that it is good to at least "deload" and only lift like 40-60% of what you normally do. I haven't tried this option yet, but might go for it in about three weeks since I'm currently on the first week of a 5/3/1 strength cycle.

Also, the guys at my gym recommend recovery weeks wholeheartedly and they lift professionally. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:41 PM   #8
Scott A Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Wheeler View Post
After doing that for 5 weeks straight should I take a week and lower the intensity
I think most research shows that keeping the intensity high by reducing volume is more effective than maintaining volume but cutting intensity.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:33 AM   #9
Olen Gifford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Why not?
If you have the proper diet and are taking care of you body properly pre and post workout, then you shouldn't need extra time to recover. This isn't to say that there are no exceptions but as a general rule, 1 or 2 days off is more than sufficient to recuperate. Even if you look at the typical Games competitors you will notice that they didn't even take a full week off after the competition. Plus, nowhere have I seen anything withing the CF Methodology that states you should be taking longer than 2 or 3 days off for recovery, again under normal circumstances. Scale back load, intensity or frequency but don't just take it all away. You have developed adaptations, why take extended time off and risk losing a portion of them?

Again, just my opinion. If you have some hard facts that will prove why you should take more than 3 days off sometimes, I would love to see them. I'm not a person that claims to know everything and I love to learn new things. However, before I have scientific proof of something or first hand knowledge of it, I have a hard time following it.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:56 AM   #10
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olen Gifford View Post
You have developed adaptations, why take extended time off and risk losing a portion of them?
You truly believe that taking more than 2 or 3 days off in a row would cause you to lose the adaptations you have developed?