CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 12-12-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
Jack Mountstephen

Profile:
Soreness

Just wondering if anyone has any more tips for recovery. I have only been crossfitting for about a month properly but am very keen to train everyday (But still following the rest days). I know my conditioning is nothing special and that i am sore because i am using muscles i didnt know i had but besides drinking buckets of water and stretching what other options are there. So keen dont wanna miss a W.O.D. Cheers
Old 12-12-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
Jay Rhodes

Profile:
Re: Soreness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Mountstephen View Post
Just wondering if anyone has any more tips for recovery. I have only been crossfitting for about a month properly but am very keen to train everyday (But still following the rest days). I know my conditioning is nothing special and that i am sore because i am using muscles i didnt know i had but besides drinking buckets of water and stretching what other options are there. So keen dont wanna miss a W.O.D. Cheers
I'm 14 months in and I still get sore here and there.....but nothing like I used to.
Those first few months are pretty rough. I'd get on a roller, check out mobility WOD, warm up well, stretch after.
It will get better, just take care of your body as best you can in the meantime.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Lacrosse ball rolling, fish oil, ZMA or calcium/magnesium/zinc. And don't be afraid to take a rest day if you need it, an extra rest day isn't necessarily a sign of weakness.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:41 PM   #4
Jack Mountstephen

Profile:

Thanks mate , Yeh im trying to do it right. 3 Ltrs of water at work a day plus what ever when training and baseing my diet on the Caveman diet but with a little yoghurt. Dont wanna get into supplements if i can avoid it , just eating clean. Might just have to harden up and keep at it.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:43 PM   #5
Jack Mountstephen

Profile:

Sorry i am taking magnesium and a multi vitamin.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:52 PM   #6
Scott Narreau

Profile:

Are you making sure to get post workout nutrition within 30 minutes of working out?

Replace electrolytes.

If you are eating cave man, have you read. "The Paleo Solution" by Robb Wolf? His web sites are valuable as well.

The supplements chapter is worth the price of the book alone.

I didn't think I needed digestive enzymes but figured I'd give it a shot anyways.
Turns out that I need them! Now, I will be getting better fat and protein absorbtion.

Fish Oil

ALA NAC
Old 12-19-2010, 04:18 PM   #7
Jack Mountstephen

Profile:

Thanks Scott will have a look.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:03 PM   #8
Shane Skowron

Profile:

The more you do a certain activity, the less likely it is to make you sore.

The reason Crossfit gets people sore is because the workouts are so random that if you follow the basic programming, you might not do certain movements for weeks later. And since everything is done balls-to-the-wall, there's really no room for volume adaptation.

So basically walking lunges and such are always going to cause soreness because there's simply not enough of them in the program for adaptation.

If you're finding certain movements are really knocking you out after you perform them, you might be better off adding them to your regular routine in smaller numbers so that you build a volume adaptation to them. E.g. if pushups always leave you really sore when you do them, do a few pushups every day before your workout.

I agree with what Eric said. In lieu of actually building an adaptation for a movement, the best ways to combat soreness are: proper sleep, eating enough calories especially protein, fish oil, ZMA, and if the soreness gets serious enough, you can apply ice (either directly or bathe in it) to the affected region.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:27 AM   #9
Jason Martin

Profile:

After about a year and a half, I find I sort of like the feeling now. That first crawl out bed in the morning.... when I *know* I did some serious work the day before... it's sort of cathartic.

//cool aid. I drink it.