CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-14-2004, 08:47 AM   #1
Neill S. Occhiogrosso

Profile:
I'm posting an email that a friend sent me. He is an avid cyclist and downhill skiier.

Dude,

I am going to start trying the crossfit workouts. However, I checked the site yesterday, and the workout of the day had over 60 L-pull ups. Dude! I am lucky to do 2 or 3!

So, a couple of questions:

1) I am assuming that “for time:” means just do it as fast as you can.

2) How do I start this? Just do as many as I can, and keep trying until I can complete the workout?
Old 07-14-2004, 01:05 PM   #2
Graham Hayes

Profile:
1) yes

2) read 'Getting Started' on the main site. Especially the part about going at 50% for the first month.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:51 PM   #3
Michael Pearce

Profile:
I can only do a few as well. But what you want to do is break the set up if you need to and you can also do assisted or negatives. I had to do mostly negatives and man I can hardly move my arms today, but it's a good pain :crazy: and that is what the voices keep telling me. But really you will find that you will be very sore but you will increase your rate very quickly.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:38 AM   #4
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I stink at pullups (being a big guy doesn't help), but it didn't take me long to get through the workouts. Do 1, get off, do 1, get off, etc. The key mid-term is just to complete the workout volume.

There are some amazingly fit people here, too, so don't try and keep up with the Joneses. I've found it doesn't matter what you think you do well; someone here does it better.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:10 AM   #5
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
You can try and keep up with this 'Jones', I haven't been setting any records at ALL (accept maybe the slowest time records).

I have only been doing the WOD for a short time and have already begun to see the benefits. I think that the your best bet is to try and do the complete motion, even if it ends up being assisted at the end of the workout.

My pullups for example ended up becoming 'assisted up, negatives down' after 20 or 25 (done in sets of 5 - 10).