CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 06-18-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:
Navy Nuke

Hey guys,

I just got done taking my ASVAB yesterday and going through the MEPS today in Harrisburg, PA and I thought I'd share some news with you all. After getting a 93 on my ASVAB and passing the advanced math test they gave me, (I can't remember the name) I qualified for the nuclear engineering program! I'm not certain that is what I want to do with my career but I'm going to go through the school anyway. I think it would be a shame to qualify for such a good job and not at least try it out. I plan on testing for SWCC or Air Rescue Swimming at some point in my enlistment.

I know the test scores were all my doing but I never would have even considered the military if it weren't for the CrossFit community. I never could have completed basic a year or two ago. Though, after seeing some of the recruits that were there, maybe I could have.

Anyway, thanks a lot for all the advice I've gotten over the past while!
Old 06-18-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
Pete Nadeau

Profile:
Re: Navy Nuke

Back in the day I had great scores also, I took the Infantry/ Combat Arms route and enjoyed it. Think about the future, like when your 40 ish
Retired Soldier 20+ years
"Whys the sky blue? Because god loves the infantry!"
Old 06-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schechterly View Post
Hey guys,

I just got done taking my ASVAB yesterday and going through the MEPS today in Harrisburg, PA and I thought I'd share some news with you all. After getting a 93 on my ASVAB and passing the advanced math test they gave me, (I can't remember the name) I qualified for the nuclear engineering program! I'm not certain that is what I want to do with my career but I'm going to go through the school anyway. I think it would be a shame to qualify for such a good job and not at least try it out. I plan on testing for SWCC or Air Rescue Swimming at some point in my enlistment.

I know the test scores were all my doing but I never would have even considered the military if it weren't for the CrossFit community. I never could have completed basic a year or two ago. Though, after seeing some of the recruits that were there, maybe I could have.

Anyway, thanks a lot for all the advice I've gotten over the past while!
Congratulations,

The Navy Nuclear Power pipeline is like the 4th or 5th hardest engineering program in the country. It's pretty high speed just to be able to go. That said if SWCC or SAR is your interest, nuke probab;y won't make you happy at all. I have been at least peipherally involved with all of those things, PM me if you want more info.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:17 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I can't speak from experience on the Navy enlisted side, but I've got a feeling if they spend all the time and money putting you through nuke school they won't just let you switch over to SWCC or SAR on a whim...they're going to want a return on their investment. And if you failed out of nuke school or DOR'd you'd probably be reassigned according to needs of the Navy, not your top choices for secondary ratings. You want to be sure about what you're getting into.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:21 AM   #5
Nick Skirvin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
I can't speak from experience on the Navy enlisted side, but I've got a feeling if they spend all the time and money putting you through nuke school they won't just let you switch over to SWCC or SAR on a whim...they're going to want a return on their investment. And if you failed out of nuke school or DOR'd you'd probably be reassigned according to needs of the Navy, not your top choices for secondary ratings. You want to be sure about what you're getting into.
Very, very true. If you get through nuke school you'll be stuck in the nuke pipeline for the remained of your enlistment. I've only heard of one person in the 10 years I've been in who was able to cross-rate to something else. If being a nuke is really what you want to do, though, then have it. Just be prepared for many, many hours of studying at the school house.

Also be prepared to give up crossfit for at least a little while when you're in bootcamp. I just don't see it being an option at all. I can't speak from personal experience for bootcamp, but I heard from (prior enlisted) classmates in OCS that OCS was physically harder than bootcamp, and it wasn't all that difficult. I was one of those people who gained weight (not the good kind) and got slower and weaker due to the relative lack of PT. I imagine that a regular crossfitter would experience the same at bootcamp.

I realize that by the time I'm posting this you've already been to MEPS so I won't belabor the point of thinking about what you really want to get out of the Navy, but if you'd like more info or just to chat, please feel free to drop me a PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:59 AM   #6
Blaine Cardinale

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
True enough - they're not going to spend that money on you and then let you go do something else easily. Don't let them talk you into something you're not interested with a promise of golden opportunities later. They have ZERO control over later, they're trying to meet quotas for the Navy now.

If you want more info, feel free to PM me. Suffice to say - be careful what you sign for.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:44 AM   #7
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

Thanks guys. I was going to sign my contract and swear in yesterday as well but someone, somewhere got their wires crossed and I have to wait until next week... then drive an hour and a half to sign a paper.

The only reason I don't go for SWCC or SAR right off the bat is I don't really feel I'm where I need to be physically to accomplish that.

I'm tons stronger and faster than I used to be, sure, but those programs are no joke.

I know you don't get the whole story from the recruiters usually so I'll talk to the job counselor when he presents me with my job options and maybe he'll have some good info. I heard him talking with the other Navy recruits and he was being blunt and honest with them. I definitely do not want to get stuck in something I end up hating, that's for sure.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:16 AM   #8
Mike Watson

Profile:

Biased opinion here, but HM-8404 needs smart people in great shape. And it's notthat hard to transfer out of if you still want to try SWCC. Just make sure youre ok with blood first.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:18 AM   #9
Blaine Cardinale

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks guys. I was going to sign my contract and swear in yesterday as well but someone, somewhere got their wires crossed and I have to wait until next week... then drive an hour and a half to sign a paper.

The only reason I don't go for SWCC or SAR right off the bat is I don't really feel I'm where I need to be physically to accomplish that.

I'm tons stronger and faster than I used to be, sure, but those programs are no joke.

I know you don't get the whole story from the recruiters usually so I'll talk to the job counselor when he presents me with my job options and maybe he'll have some good info. I heard him talking with the other Navy recruits and he was being blunt and honest with them. I definitely do not want to get stuck in something I end up hating, that's for sure.
Any of those programs that require a lot of schooling, time and money on the Navy's part are hard to get out of once you're in. You definitely will find it hard to move from one "elite" rate or job to another.

If you are dead-set on SWCC or SAR and don't feel that you're ready physically, I'd recommend waiting to enlist until you are and go for those programs straight from the beginning. I've generally found that those first time enlistees who are a little older do better in the programs anyways due to maturity and other factors like that. That's a broad generalization, of course, so no offense meant to anyone else.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:38 AM   #10
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:

I went to an A school that I wasn't suited to. Deck isn't bad. If you're maturity isn't such that SWCC is right for you, 2-4 years in a seagoing job will only increase your maturity IME. The staying in shape part will be harder though. You will not leave the nuclear program if you complete schooling unless you medically (usually psychologically) drop or get in trouble. Which will ruin your chances at special programs, at least for a while. AW (aircrew SAR among other things) is one rating from which it is hard to go to special programs.

Research what the classifier tells you at MEPS before you agree, they often don't have a lot of real world experience in what the different jobs do.

Good luck.