CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-18-2006, 04:09 AM   #1
Andrew Glanz

Profile:  
Has anyone here ever done much in the area of weighted push ups? Would this be more beneficial than doing normal push ups if you are already maxing out at about 60-65

Is there a point with pull ups where you should only do them with weight? Right now I am maxing out at 23 or so pull ups.

So my question is probably a stupid one but what exactly is the difference between doing lots of reps and doing less reps with more weight. I seem to get a much better work out with weight added.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:06 AM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Adding weight will have more impact on maximal strength. Keeping it at bodyweight and pounding out the reps will have a better metabolic componant. Work both. You'll want to mix in weighted and unweighted pull-ups.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:00 PM   #3
Peter Queen

Profile:
I agree with Roger. I do both because of my firefighter duties. Weighted exercises (in my case I use a weight vest) are beneficial because they help in pushing the body to newer levels. But I do weighted work outs (pushups, pull-ups, air squats, lunges, hiking/running) only as a gauge after a few weeks or so of non-weighted WODs to see what new overall levels I have achieved. If you use weights I would use them just heavy enough to get a good envelope pushing routine but light enough to still grind out some good high rep numbers. If you are not still sweating profusely after a good round of weighted exercises then the weights may be too heavy which will cause you to burn out quicker before reaching a good stamina building and cardio burning outcome. This is just my opinion but an opinion based on good solid personal results.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:25 PM   #4
Rob McBee

Profile:
Andrew,

To the best of my current understanding, high reps works the glycolitic pathway(strength-endurance) of the metabolism while low reps + weight works the phosphogenic pathway(brute strength).

What about an additional wrinkle like either approach(high rep and/or high weight) but performed on the rings?