CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-15-2010, 11:12 AM   #21
Melody Glasgow

Profile:
Re: I have failed at getting ripped for 5 years..please help!

I weigh the same as you and I have to eat 2500-3000 calories just to maintain my weight. Here's what I've found works for me:

Around 50% of calories from fat, 30-35% from protein, and the rest from good carb sources like fruits and veggies.

Eat paleo + bacon. Try starting off with a 30 strict paleo challenge - no cheating - and then add stuff back in if you still want to.

Don't cut the damn fat off your damn meat. Eat grassfed meat. Get sugar out of your life. Sleep well, train hard 3 days per week MINIMUM. Do something every day, even if it's just a walk or dynamic stretching.

If you eat paleo, your portioning and macronutrient proportions will work themselves out. You can measure and weigh all you want, but I've found that this only screws up my recovery and I get sick. If you only have good whole foods available to you, your body will choose what it needs.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:18 AM   #22
Benjamin Wheeler

Profile:

I just ate 1500 calories for breakfast
Old 04-15-2010, 11:32 AM   #23
Kevin Kim

Profile:

This is all really good information, thank you all very much. Yes, it's hard to believe but even on my non diet seasons I would eat one big meal in the evening and snack in the morning for a total of 1500 calories on average.

My goal is to be at 8% body fat with my current level of muscle (perhaps slightly more).

My current size is due to the recent carbohydrate weekend binges I've been doing for the anabolic diet, plus a lot of cheating to try and "reset" my slow metabolism.

Now that I'm around 2000 calories a day, I'm wondering if I should float around 2000-2500 just to see what happens. I have never ate this much everyday since high school!

As far as Post Work Out Carbs, I'm not planning on doing them after a Crossfit session but rather heavy lifting sessions.

I swear, if I eat more and I end up losing fat & gaining muscle, I'm going to cry and laugh simultaneously.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:40 AM   #24
Benjamin Wheeler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kim View Post
This is all really good information, thank you all very much. Yes, it's hard to believe but even on my non diet seasons I would eat one big meal in the evening and snack in the morning for a total of 1500 calories on average.

My goal is to be at 8% body fat with my current level of muscle (perhaps slightly more).

My current size is due to the recent carbohydrate weekend binges I've been doing for the anabolic diet, plus a lot of cheating to try and "reset" my slow metabolism.

Now that I'm around 2000 calories a day, I'm wondering if I should float around 2000-2500 just to see what happens. I have never ate this much everyday since high school!

As far as Post Work Out Carbs, I'm not planning on doing them after a Crossfit session but rather heavy lifting sessions.

I swear, if I eat more and I end up losing fat & gaining muscle, I'm going to cry and laugh simultaneously.
Kevin, eating carbohydrates after a heavy lifting session makes less sense than after a crossfit session. If you want to lean out, PWO carbohydrates are very counterproductive.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #25
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"My goal is to be at 8% body fat with my current level of muscle (perhaps slightly more)."

No. Crossfit, not CrossAppearance. Make your goals performance based.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:46 AM   #26
Jarrett Link

Profile:

Quote:

Stop calorie counting. You obviously have problems cheating with your diet, so why make it unnecessarily hard on yourself?

Get educated. Eat paleo. Hit the gym hard and get plenty of rest.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:53 AM   #27
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
You got a lot more going on than just carb loads and cheating. There is no way you at 1500 calories a day for 5 years and still look like you do. Is there a little more to the story?
Old 04-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #28
Casey Crooks

Profile:

Your weekend carb "binges" seem to be the only part of the anabolic diet you followed. You wouldnt be in your current mess if you followed the rest. Since no one else has done it yet, let me lay you out a day in the life of me.
I weigh 205, go 3 on 1 off with a strength workout most days before metcon. Im not suggesting how you should train, just giving you an idea how much activity i get. I dont know my exact BF% but i do have slightly visible abs if you care about such things.

Morning- 3 slices bacon, 3 eggs cooked in the grease. Big handful of almonds and a banana on the way out of the door. And milk.
Snack/Post Workout- A piece of some kind of meat, preferrably pork or beef but sometimes chicken, usually alongside a banana or some other fruit.
Lunch- Large spinach salad with at least half a cup of sunflower seeds and alot of olive oil. At least 8 oz of meat, usually more, and some fruit.
Snack if I get hungry- more fruit, a big handful (30 maybe) of almonds or some other nuts, maybe some milk.
Dinner- Same as lunch but much more meat, milk, and some extra nuts.

And i wouldnt say a goal of a certain body fat is a legit goal either. Make it performance based. What you want to DO, not what you want to look like.

Last edited by Casey Crooks : 04-15-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:49 PM   #29
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Quote:
My friend, get ready to do that then.

I learnt this the hard way. These people aren't joking when they say EAT MORE. 1500 calories a day is NOTHING for any adult male. There are 130 lean/mean women eating much more than that on this board, think about that. I'd eat 2500-3000 at the very least, Paleo foods if possible, and lift heavy, and wait a few weeks.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #30
Kevin Kim

Profile:

Doug: Not sure, I've done Cross Fit 3 days a week since Mid-Jan and I lift at least once a week.

Benjamin: That is a very interesting observation and I am really considering removing PWCarbs from my diet. My only "fear" is that I will be completely depleted of glycogen constantly and that it will wear on my muscles. Also, I have heard from multiple sources that carb cycling accelerates fat loss, which is why I was going to incorporate the PWCarbs (since I am pretty much very low carb 6 days a week).

Jamie & Casey: That's an awesome way to look at things and I love the fact that you eat mounds of food. I guess if I focus on shortening my fran time, upping my weights, etc. I will naturally eat more high quality food in "preparation of" the work out as opposed to looking at constantly looking at foods from a fat loss perspective.

Michael: A 154 grams of fat..see that's my problem. I am so conscious that when I eat a low carb diet I am still not eating any fats, which makes my diet almost 100% lean protein.

As far as my Cross Fit performance: I get nautious like crazy with my average fran time around 10 minutes. I do around 15-20 kip pull ups straight but can do over 50 if I give myself small rests.