CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-25-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
Harrie Weidenbacher

Profile:
Brief introduction

Hi, all. Long-time lurker here. I mainly stay in the nutrition forum, but occasionally browse some of the others.

I'm a 51-year-old female and very much "evolving" in my fitness level. I quit smoking 2 years ago after having smoked since I was 14. I started eating a more healthy diet about 1-1/2 years ago and at this point, don't drink soft drinks, don't eat bread or grains, and generally stay away from processed foods but for the occasional, purposeful treat. I'm 5'1" and weigh 100 pounds. I want to be mostly ALL muscle. Never mind that it will probably never happen, but that's what I want!

Not too long ago I got a Concept 2 rowing machine for my home. I really liked using it at the gym. I go to a local gym and when there, mostly do the stair machine, row machine, sometimes treadmill (on incline) or stationary bike. I have actually been interested in CrossFit, but I guess I'm not really ready to go there yet. If that means I shouldn't post here, so be it, I can accept that. But I love reading here. I love the philosophy. I've even checked out the local Atlanta gyms and maybe, I might go for the introductory free class on Saturdays and perhaps a $20.00 drop-in visit. That's if I ever got the courage, I suppose. The membership fees are a bit too high for me. Anyway, to get back to what I started out to say, I've been exercising for about 1-1/2 years and I feel that I've come a long way. I play tennis now a lot (which I love to death), and I have even started trying to run. It's quite pitiful, because I cannot run far at ALL. In fact, it's beyond pitiful. But I'm encouraged at the same time, because I can run longer than I could a few months ago when I started. Stamina and endurance are the goals that I am after. A year ago when I would ride my bike around my neighborhood, I couldn't get up the last hill to my house, but when I tried it a few weeks ago, to my great surprise I did make it. So I am getting better.

There are a few questions I've sort of been burning to ask, so maybe at another time I will. But for now I just wanted to say hello before I started making any other posts.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
Camille Lore

Profile:  
Re: Brief introduction

I've been doing CF for about 1 1/2 years. Congratulations on making the changes of quitting smoking and changing your nutrition in such a positive way!

I can remember when I could barely jog across my street, and now I can actually complete a 5k! CrossFit rocks!

I work out at home, and have been to see a CrossFit trainer a few times just to get some instruction on the basic lifts and on kipping pullups. I drop in every so often to get a check up and make sure I'm not doing anything wrong, so it can be done!

The Concept II is a rockin piece of equipment! Have you been to their website?
I just went to the rowing cert and learned a TON! I also have a Concept II now. I love/hate that thing.

Have you started a workout log? It's a great tool to look back on as you keep doing CrossFit.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:35 AM   #3
Harrie Weidenbacher

Profile:

Hello, Camille!

Hearing how much progress you've made in your own journey helps. Thanks for the encouragement. I will take it to heart, actually, and will definitely go to the Saturday class soon.

I agree about the rower. I can feel that thing working every part of me. It's tough! I've seen some of the technique videos and I try to follow that, though it's hard as I don't see myself. I might post a video so I can get feedback on my technique. I'm still not beyond 20 minutes on the thing, but for the time being I'm going for trying to row correctly. I know you can do intervals on it, I'm interested in that. I have been to their website and know there are all sorts of goodies there, and a forum. But I haven't really looked into it in detail - yet.

I assume you mean a workout log here on these forums? I need to start reading some of those. I think I might want to do that, if I go the introductory class and learn a few things, and start trying to do a few CrossFit type exercises first. I mean, at this point I can't even do 1 pull-up on my pull-up bar, so I mean.....I guess that speaks for itself! I'm not strong. I just love getting better, though. It's addicting, and fun!
Old 08-07-2009, 07:52 AM   #4
Harrie Weidenbacher

Profile:

Well! I went to an introductory session today at CrossFit East Decatur, and it was great! The trainer showed me some of the warm-up exercises first, explained things pretty well, and then had me to do as many rounds as I could in 15 minutes of 5 pull-ups (thank God for those band things!), 10 push-ups, and 15 squats. I got through 4 rounds. My push-ups can't even be called push-ups right now, but I tried! Just an hour out and I am quite sore already. LOL.

I loved it. I'm debating now whether to go through the orientation sessions or just jump right in. I think I can afford a month or two, anyway, until I get a better idea about it all. And I want to go for it. I really do!

And I feel better now about being here.