CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 05-08-2009, 08:03 AM   #11
Ryan Webernick

Profile:
Re: Grace: Go heavy or light?

A week or so ago, the clean/ring dip workout came up, and the cleans killed me. I was squat cleaning though, which is just rough. However, I am not going to scale down. Mainly because there is a video out there somewhere of a couple of ladies doing grace with the man weight of 135. I figure if they can do it, so can I.

I also notice most people drop their weights pretty liberally, and I usually lower it, so this adds to the work as well.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:14 AM   #12
Kris Reeves

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Kodadek View Post
Everyone who is hitting the super fast times is power cleaning. Squat cleans will take a LOT longer and be far more work.

Not that that is bad...just realize that most of the people posting 3-5 minute times are power cleaning. And even then, many of those people are push pressing instead of jerking if they are capable of it.

Grace is really more of a two handed overhead anyhow than a clean and jerk workout at this point.
This brings up a good point...power cleaning will get the weight up faster...therefore more power output. so is that better than squat cleaning...even though the squat clean is moving the bar over a larger distance?
Old 05-08-2009, 08:43 AM   #13
Michael DeLuca

Profile:

You can do Grace either way. Just note which form of the clean you used when you post your times.

The same goes for Elizabeth.

And a controlled dump saves time/power.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:45 AM   #14
Shawn Michels

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Patrick View Post
Why not try something between 95 and 135. Fourty pounds is a huge jump. Try 105 or 115 and see how that goes.

I agree... I had the exact same question today and I did 115#. I will do 135# next time but spiting the difference was the right call for today.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:04 AM   #15
Stuart Buck

Profile:

Why does the main page list the broomstick as an option for Grace? I don't see broomstick listed for any other workout.

My broomstick Grace time is really fast.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:27 AM   #16
James Reynolds

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Buck View Post
Why does the main page list the broomstick as an option for Grace? I don't see broomstick listed for any other workout.

My broomstick Grace time is really fast.

That probably doesn't apply to you then, does it? Think about people that have never done the movement, where maybe even a oly bar is too heavy for good form, people with slight injuries, etc... it's simply another scaled version. Just because they don't specify a broomstick is an option for scaling every time doesn't mean someone can't use it.

Example: My gf uses a broomstick for WODs with overhead squats - the pendlay bar alone is too much for her and we don't have a junior bar yet.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:31 AM   #17
Steven Novick

Profile:

We just had a lecture by our oly lifting coach who said by definition if someone says clean it means squat clean.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:50 AM   #18
Steve Collegio

Profile:

i did it both ways and the power clean time was 4:44 and the sqaut clean time was 9:30 so there is a big difference. I feel the squat clean is a better movement in terms of muscle recruitment, but power output is obviously higher in the power clean due to the speed + power
Old 05-08-2009, 09:59 AM   #19
Thomas Green

Profile:

Do power cleans @ 115. Or to make it a challenge, do 95lb cleans and strict presses
Old 05-08-2009, 10:04 AM   #20
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Novick View Post
We just had a lecture by our oly lifting coach who said by definition if someone says clean it means squat clean.
Tell him that he's wrong. The "clean" means you are lifting a barbell cleanly from the ground to your shoulders without it stopping on the way. "Power", "split", "splot" and "squat" are all methods of achieving that end, and essentially refer to what your legs are doing after the pull. Just because the squat clean is the competition standard for one-rep-max lifting does not make it the very definition of a "clean". He'll argue with that of course, saying that there is only one right way to do it - the squat clean - but in his universe, he isn't thinking about high-rep weightlifting, power outputs, general physical preparedness. He is thinking about the sport of weightlifting.