CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 05-04-2009, 05:35 PM   #11
Dale F. Saran

Profile:
Re: "Hansen"

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Reynolds View Post
Burpees aside...5 rounds worth of 30 reps 2 pood swings (~72lbs) are crazy easy and 30 reps GHD situps are annoying?! Hope you're headed to the games this summer!
I concur. I'm not sure we are talking about the same WoD. I'm a fairly experienced CFer and my time was 40:41. My GHD machine has no bottom pad for underneath the feet/calves, which means I'm not locked in, but even still, this workout is a total of 150 burpees, 150 GHD situps, and 150 2 pood kb swings.

I don't care who you are, that's a tall order. I'd be curious as to what some of the CF firebreathers do this in.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:43 PM   #12
David Boyle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale F. Saran View Post
I concur. I'm not sure we are talking about the same WoD. I'm a fairly experienced CFer and my time was 40:41. My GHD machine has no bottom pad for underneath the feet/calves, which means I'm not locked in, but even still, this workout is a total of 150 burpees, 150 GHD situps, and 150 2 pood kb swings.

I don't care who you are, that's a tall order. I'd be curious as to what some of the CF firebreathers do this in.

Yes sir...my abs are so sore from Hansen yesterday!

Semper Fi Dale!
Old 05-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #13
Jeff S Johnson

Profile:

I may be mis-remembering, but I think Zach is on record saying he thinks GHD's are not a smart exercise and one he will not do.

150 regular situps would certainly reduce Hansen's intensity.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:07 PM   #14
Zach Gates

Profile:

I do them on the unit, but I don't go down and touch my hand on the floor no sir. If that makes it that big a difference then feel free to disregard my comments but I ain't gonna re-do the thing with that full move.

It wasn't a FAST circuit, but it didn't annihilate me in the way the Filthy Fifty (which I actually was incapable of completing...) or Murph did. Like I said, those swings aren't anything that'll smash me. I do most of the swing workouts with a 75 pounder, the 50-rep circuits with a 60.

The burpees, as always, are my kryptonite, so my time wasn't phenomenal, but like today's 21-15-9 sprint the swings are a chance to get some wind back.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:11 PM   #15
Departed

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Gates View Post
but like today's 21-15-9 sprint the swings are a chance to get some wind back.
So you weren't destroyed because you slacked on the swings?
Old 05-05-2009, 06:48 AM   #16
Zach Gates

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gedicks View Post
So you weren't destroyed because you slacked on the swings?
Boy, I say I didn't find a WOD the hardest thing ever and you guys act like I said your mom's a whore.

If my back isn't locking up on me, I can do swings with a 75 pound DB for a while. And it's kinda hard to "slack" on a swing unless you put it down after every three reps. There really isn't any spot in the movement where you can take a breather or "go slow". It's just not a movement I struggle with. Heck I used to do DB snatches for a set of 5 each arm with a 100, one or two reps with a 120.

There really isn't a reason for me to be BS'ing right now. I've already admitted I couldn'd finish the Filthy Fifty, had to scale pretty much EVERY workout that involves power cleans, and that anything with burpees makes my soul weep. That I ran into a workout that wasn't quite the killer for me by virtue of it involving the ONE exercise I have a knack for isn't exactly me "bragging", guys.

What I'm saying is that on a 1-10 scale, Hansen is an 8.5 or a 9 whereas the FF or Murph are a solid 10+. I sure as **** wasn't doing cartwheels afterwards but it wasn't one where I wanted to blow out a joint just so I had an excuse to stop, either. :P
Old 05-05-2009, 08:47 AM   #17
Shane Upchurch

Profile:

Zach, what was your time?
Old 05-05-2009, 09:29 AM   #18
Michael Wengloski

Profile:

Don't talk about my mom like that Zach.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:38 PM   #19
Zach Gates

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Upchurch View Post
Zach, what was your time?
I had to use the wall clock because I didn't have my phone on me (well, I had it, but the battery died).

Still, my time wasn't really amazing, it was a little over 40 minutes by my estimation. I just can't get through burpees with anything resembling speed. It was a blitz through the swings, 15 each arm, and then the situps hurt like crazy but I could get through. Then I hit the burpees and things ground to a halt.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:30 PM   #20
Departed

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Gates View Post
Boy, I say I didn't find a WOD the hardest thing ever and you guys act like I said your mom's a whore.

If my back isn't locking up on me, I can do swings with a 75 pound DB for a while. And it's kinda hard to "slack" on a swing unless you put it down after every three reps. There really isn't any spot in the movement where you can take a breather or "go slow". It's just not a movement I struggle with. Heck I used to do DB snatches for a set of 5 each arm with a 100, one or two reps with a 120.

There really isn't a reason for me to be BS'ing right now. I've already admitted I couldn'd finish the Filthy Fifty, had to scale pretty much EVERY workout that involves power cleans, and that anything with burpees makes my soul weep. That I ran into a workout that wasn't quite the killer for me by virtue of it involving the ONE exercise I have a knack for isn't exactly me "bragging", guys.

What I'm saying is that on a 1-10 scale, Hansen is an 8.5 or a 9 whereas the FF or Murph are a solid 10+. I sure as **** wasn't doing cartwheels afterwards but it wasn't one where I wanted to blow out a joint just so I had an excuse to stop, either. :P
I was just asking dude. I know that my back was cramping something serious on rounds 4 and 5, but I go to full back extension on the down of the GHD's. You choose not to and that's just fine, but it does take that element out of the WOD. I'm not knocking you for that, I'm just saying. The swings were the hardest part for me. I had gone for a 5-6 mile run earlier in the day across very uneven trail and my hip flexors and lower back tightened up immediately on round 1. After the first round I loosened up and rounds 2 and 3 went as smooth as they could have given the brutal nature of the WOD. I hit the ****ing wall in round 4 though and had to really push to get through the cramping in my lower back and hip flexors. I finished in 39 and change but I really wanted a sub 30 for that WOD. I was just a little surprised to hear that the swings let you get your wind back because they annihilated me.