CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #911
Daniel Carlson

Profile:
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

Here is the spreadsheet that somebody put together. Its not in excel, but you can print it out and just write in your numbers.

http://john.slaughter.com/blog/wp-co...09/02/cfsb.jpg (WFS)

I havent really seen this posted on this FAQ yet, so I was wondering how many calories would be appropriate to eat on this program. I weigh 200lbs and am just trying to get my strength up. Before you say SS and GOMAD, I dont have the ability to do it as I am responsible for PT at our NROTC battalion and have to be able to run a decent amount.

Anyways I am currently at 3800 calories right now, my break down is 30% protein( around 220g) and fats and 40% carbs. More carbs since I have 2 3 a days and 1 2 a day. I dont follow any strict diet however, but I do consider it to be relatively clean. It is essentially the zone prescription without the portion control.

Should I up my food intake more or does this seem about right for where I want to be around 210-215.

edit: not sure if this helps: DL 1rm 375, S 1rm 235, P 1rm 145
Old 01-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #912
Stu Christensen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Carlson View Post
Here is the spreadsheet that somebody put together. Its not in excel, but you can print it out and just write in your numbers.

http://john.slaughter.com/blog/wp-co...09/02/cfsb.jpg (WFS)

I havent really seen this posted on this FAQ yet, so I was wondering how many calories would be appropriate to eat on this program. I weigh 200lbs and am just trying to get my strength up. Before you say SS and GOMAD, I dont have the ability to do it as I am responsible for PT at our NROTC battalion and have to be able to run a decent amount.

Anyways I am currently at 3800 calories right now, my break down is 30% protein( around 220g) and fats and 40% carbs. More carbs since I have 2 3 a days and 1 2 a day. I dont follow any strict diet however, but I do consider it to be relatively clean. It is essentially the zone prescription without the portion control.

Should I up my food intake more or does this seem about right for where I want to be around 210-215.

edit: not sure if this helps: DL 1rm 375, S 1rm 235, P 1rm 145
I think your intake isn't bad at all.... if you don't gain weight in two weeks, add about 40g of protein a day along with 40g of fat and that should help you add on some good mass.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:04 PM   #913
Corey M. Kelly

Profile:

I worked the original CFSB program for 4 cycles[28 weeks]. I had steady gains in my Deadlift and Front Squat. My Squat and O.H. Press however have seemed to stall. So in the efforts to keep my lifts going up and my wod times going down I've played around with some different stuff. Recently I threw this template together, borrowing from several different sources. Essentially it is the same idea as Martin and Bingos' original template aside from the rep scheme changing week to week. I am interested in hearing the thoughts of the community on this one as well as any suggestions. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: email Strength Bias Template.xls (27.5 KB, 715 views)
Old 01-18-2011, 11:20 PM   #914
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

I would recommend switching to a more Westside Barbell/Conjugate approach. I think your numbers will shoot up. After doing 28 weeks of slow moving (bar speed) linear progression, adding in some speed work will do some ridiculous things.

The template I've been using (set up similar to CFSB) is:
Monday: Max Effort Squat/DL (normally DL once every 5-6 weeks), 1-2 accessory exercises, short metcon
Tuesday: Dynamic Effort Upper (bench or press), 1-2 accessory exercises, short metcon
Wednesday: Longerish metcon or something for recovery
Thursday: off
Friday: DE Box Squat/DL (normally only DL every other week), 1-2 accessory exercises, short metcon
Saturday: ME Upper (bench or press), 1-2 accessory exercises, short metcon
Sunday: off

The metcons are all optional. 2-3 a week would be maintenance.

The percentages on DE days are important and can be found around here on the board or in some of the WSBB articles.

You could also do Chris Mason's Conjugate Crossfit program from the journal...

Tim

Last edited by Tim Nakashima : 01-18-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #915
Ross Dijulio

Profile:

Earlier in the year I incorporated some of the CFSB into my programming, although I found with deadlifting and frontsquating during the week to be too much so i had it as written below

Sunday: Back Squat
Monday: Metcon, Dynamic Effort Press
Wednesday:Press
Thursday:Metcon
Friday:Metcon, Dynamic Effort Squat

And all my lifts (deadlift, press, squat etc...) went up a good amount at the end of the cycle. However, I decided to experiment with the westide system and it hasn't really worked as I hoped (don't think the program is bad, maybe just the lack of equipment and guidance when in the gym). What I do like is the conjugate system to it, the changing of main exercises on a weekly basis. Would it be a good idea to incorporate this to my program as stated above?
Example:
Monday Week1:Back Squat 3x3
Wednesday Week1: Press 3x3

Monday Week2:Front Squat 3x3
Monday Week2:Bench Press 3x3

and continue with varing lifts etc...?
Old 01-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #916
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Here's the discussion thread on Chris Mason's conjugate CF article:

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=63090 should be wfs, maybe some language.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:56 PM   #917
Corey M. Kelly

Profile:

Thanks Tim. I just read through the WSBB system and think that will help alot. Have you experienced any problems with your deadlift stalling seeing that you only deadlift heavy every few weeks? I feel that a little accessory movements are needed to help with my hip strength. All my problems are pretty much coming out of the bottom of the squat or the initial pull on a deadlift. As far as my press goes I can rep 155X9 but can only do 175X1 on a good day. Any suggestions on getting those numbers up?
Old 01-20-2011, 05:06 PM   #918
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Dijulio View Post
Earlier in the year I incorporated some of the CFSB into my programming, although I found with deadlifting and frontsquating during the week to be too much so i had it as written below

Wednesday:Press
Thursday:Metcon
Friday:Metcon, Dynamic Effort Squat

And all my lifts (deadlift, press, squat etc...) went up a good amount at the end of the cycle. However, I decided to experiment with the westide system and it hasn't really worked as I hoped (don't think the program is bad, maybe just the lack of equipment and guidance when in the gym). What I do like is the conjugate system to it, the changing of main exercises on a weekly basis. Would it be a good idea to incorporate this to my program as stated above?
Example:
Monday Week1:Back Squat 3x3
Wednesday Week1: Press 3x3

Monday Week2:Front Squat 3x3
Monday Week2:Bench Press 3x3

and continue with varing lifts etc...?
Give it a try and see what happens... I really like the max effort days going for a true 1 rep max. I have also started using what Chris said about maxing the same life for weeks in a row and making progress (I prefer 2 weeks though). As for your layout, I'd allow more recovery time between DE and your 3x3 days (2 days or so).

Maybe something like this??:

Wednesday: Metcon?
Thursday:Metcon, DE Squat
Friday: Press

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey M. Kelly View Post
Thanks Tim. I just read through the WSBB system and think that will help alot. Have you experienced any problems with your deadlift stalling seeing that you only deadlift heavy every few weeks? I feel that a little accessory movements are needed to help with my hip strength. All my problems are pretty much coming out of the bottom of the squat or the initial pull on a deadlift. As far as my press goes I can rep 155X9 but can only do 175X1 on a good day. Any suggestions on getting those numbers up?
A funny thing happened when we made the switch to the WSBB/conjugate type method, everybody's deadlifts shot up! However, if you fee like you have a weakness affecting your DL, then I'd address those in as the accessory movements. Chris Mason lists a lot of good accessory stuff in his article.

Oddly enough, it seems the chain/band/box squat work helps you explode out of the hole better and most guys are getting stuck at about the halfway point now... As for the DL, try doing the speed pulls on a riser/box (2, 4, 6").

The press is finicky and Chris posted a reply regarding increasing the press a few weeks/months ago, I'd check that out. But if you can do 155 x 9, then you should definitely be able to max at more than 175. Try the WSBB stuff and hit a max on the press 3 weeks in a row. I think by the third week your body will adapt to "max out" rather than "rep out." And I know Louie doesn't address doing dynamic work with the press, we've been doing 3 week cycles on press, then on bench and it has seemed to help.

I am by no means an expert in this area, I've just been experimenting with this stuff for a little while using myself and about 15 other guys as guinea pigs... I don't want to speak for Chris, but he's been very helpful with questions about this topic and I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

I'll help as much as possible with my limited experience.

Tim

Last edited by Tim Nakashima : 01-20-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #919
Ted Apollo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Nakashima View Post
I would recommend switching to a more Westside Barbell/Conjugate approach. I think your numbers will shoot up. After doing 28 weeks of slow moving (bar speed) linear progression, adding in some speed work will do some ridiculous things.

The template I've been using (set up similar to CFSB) is:
Monday: Max Effort Squat/DL (normally DL once every 5-6 weeks), 1-2 accessory exercises, short metcon
Tuesday: Dynamic Effort Upper (bench or press), 1-2 accessory exercises, short metcon
Wednesday: Longerish metcon or something for recovery
Thursday: off
Friday: DE Box Squat/DL (normally only DL every other week), 1-2 accessory exercises, short metcon
Saturday: ME Upper (bench or press), 1-2 accessory exercises, short metcon
Sunday: off

The metcons are all optional. 2-3 a week would be maintenance.

The percentages on DE days are important and can be found around here on the board or in some of the WSBB articles.

You could also do Chris Mason's Conjugate Crossfit program from the journal...

Tim

i'll second this type of programming. its produced the best results the two times i have cycled thru it over the past few years.

the only thing i would suggest is adding power cleans. for my own programming i alternate every other week between deadlifts & cleans. training my nervous system to fire off like that has residual effects on all my lifts.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:06 PM   #920
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Apollo View Post
i'll second this type of programming. its produced the best results the two times i have cycled thru it over the past few years.

the only thing i would suggest is adding power cleans. for my own programming i alternate every other week between deadlifts & cleans. training my nervous system to fire off like that has residual effects on all my lifts.
I'm actually planning on starting that this week. I've been doing power cleans and snatches at least once a week, but I'm going to try adding PC's or PS's on the weeks I don't do DL's (like you suggested). I've already found that doing the speed deads help with the speed on PC's.