CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-10-2010, 02:56 PM   #781
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Wallace View Post
Hey few questions

1) Can you do Monostructural stuff alongside this e.g. 5k's etc

2) Could i add extra Metcon?

3) Possible to exchange FS with BP, if i do high rep FS after ME BS?

Jordan.
1 - only if you wanted to blunt your strength gains
2 - if you are hitting your scehduled metcons hard enough more shouldn't be appealing or necessary
3 - browse back through the thread - there is an upper body emphasised schedule kicking about somewhere

Cheers, kempie
Old 02-10-2010, 08:00 PM   #782
Craig Freel

Profile:

Kempie,
I'd love to get your feedback on the situation I described on the previous page. Nicholas' response was helpful, but I'd like to get more opinions.
Thanks
Old 02-11-2010, 05:24 AM   #783
Jordan Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Valentin View Post
I have a question and I don't know if it is really worth asking. Will a split workout work? What I mean is:

Monday Morning- ME Back Squats, Evening-metcon
Tuesday Morning- ME Deadlifts + high rep deadlifts, Evening-metcon
Wednesday Rest
Thursday Metcon
Friday Morning- ME Front Squats + high rep back squats, Evening-metcon
Saturday Morning-ME Press + high rep press, Evening- metcon
Sunday Rest

Or to keep the intensity should I just do all at once?
Kempie, i Think that this will be a suitable way for me to go with light LSD on the rest days.

One question, could i rotate to do Metcon in Morning and lifting in the evening, or would the metcon affect the ME?

Jordan
Old 02-11-2010, 07:21 AM   #784
Chris Kemp

Profile:

Jordan - no prob mixing the order of the metcon and strength if they are spaced apart in separate sessions. More relevant if you are doing all in one.

Cheers, kempie
Old 02-11-2010, 07:46 AM   #785
Chris Kemp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Freel View Post
OK I have read this entire thread and the article. I'd really appreciate input from some of you guys who have experience with this program.

I'd really like to do this program, exactly like prescribed but that is currently impossible for my situation. I go to an affiliate that does strict mainpage and is very crowded on WOD days so doing my own thing isn't an option. So here is what I'd like to propose and get your opinion on:

TWEAKED BY KEMPIE TO ILLUSTRATE AN ALTERNATIVE

MP Schedule *|* Proposed CFSB* schedule
Mon - Rest *|* Mon - ME Deadlift, ME Press, 1x20 DL
Tues- WOD *|* Tues - WOD
Wed - WOD *|* Wed - Rest
Thur- WOD *|* Thurs- WOD
Fri - Rest *|* Fri - ME FrontSq, HR Press, HR Back Squat
Sat - WOD *|* Sat - WOD
Sun - WOD *|* Sun - Rest
Mon - WOD *|* Mon - Rest

I have more leeway with what I do at the box on rest days. Now obviously the WODs that I do, for example, Tues + Wed may affect what I do on Thurs (i.e. if Wed's WOD is Max BS, then I would theoretically do DLs and a short metcon on the Thurs "rest day".

What are your thoughts about this changed up CFSB? I think removing the metcon on the lifting days would allow me to handle more than one lift on those days. I could also shift the lifting day to the first day of my personal 3 day cycle, but then that doesn't allow me to see/adjust based off what WODs come up.

I know some people spread it out and do 1 lift per 3 day MP cycle, but I'd like to do more than that and think that I could if I do one less WOD per cycle.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Craig - I agree with the earlier post that ME DL and BS as well as HR DL is going to be nasty - especially on day 3 of your cycle.

One way other's have worked within similar constraints is done their ME and HR at home (or at a globo) and then do the scheduled WOD at their affiliate. Alternatively, maybe your affil coaches will give you a little more leeway if you can make it in early to do your lifts.

If not, then how about ME & HR Deads, ME presses on your first "rest" day and then ME front squats and HR back squats and presses on your second.

Might also suggest only doing one WOD day before your DL/ Press session and pitching your FS/BS day in the middle of a 3 day cycle. I shuffled your schedule above and it seems to work but I have only done 2 cycles so unsure whether it will wrap around neatly

Also, how flexible will your affiliate be with regard to shifting load and duration of MP wod's so that they suit your personal goals?

Cheers, kempie
Old 02-11-2010, 10:59 AM   #786
Shawn Patrick Kelley

Profile:

I've been doing the CFSB program for about 4 weeks now and have been making pr's every week!So thank you guys for putting this thread up.I want to get stronger so I can get better time and ,or complete certain WOD's as RX'd,for example I really want to be able to run right through Isabell,Grace,and Elizabeth-but they all give me a hard time.That being said how can I tailor my met-cons to achieve the strength needed to achieve my goals?And also,should I be doing heavy met-cons on the met -con only day? Thank you.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #787
Craig Freel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kemp View Post
Craig - I agree with the earlier post that ME DL and BS as well as HR DL is going to be nasty - especially on day 3 of your cycle.

One way other's have worked within similar constraints is done their ME and HR at home (or at a globo) and then do the scheduled WOD at their affiliate. Alternatively, maybe your affil coaches will give you a little more leeway if you can make it in early to do your lifts.

If not, then how about ME & HR Deads, ME presses on your first "rest" day and then ME front squats and HR back squats and presses on your second.

Might also suggest only doing one WOD day before your DL/ Press session and pitching your FS/BS day in the middle of a 3 day cycle. I shuffled your schedule above and it seems to work but I have only done 2 cycles so unsure whether it will wrap around neatly

Also, how flexible will your affiliate be with regard to shifting load and duration of MP wod's so that they suit your personal goals?

Cheers, kempie
Thanks a lot man, this really helps. I live in Manhattan so lifting at home is out. I'll try the schedule you laid out and hopefully my coaches will be cool with it. So you think eliminating ME Back Squat is ok if I have ME FS and HR BS? Makes sense to me I guess, along with whatever ME WODs come up involving BS.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:48 PM   #788
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Patrick Kelley View Post
I've been doing the CFSB program for about 4 weeks now and have been making pr's every week!So thank you guys for putting this thread up.I want to get stronger so I can get better time and ,or complete certain WOD's as RX'd,for example I really want to be able to run right through Isabell,Grace,and Elizabeth-but they all give me a hard time.That being said how can I tailor my met-cons to achieve the strength needed to achieve my goals?And also,should I be doing heavy met-cons on the met -con only day? Thank you.
The more you skew towards heavy, the more "strength biased" your results will be. Sometimes having that one met-con a week that is not strength biased may help maintain the ability to go longer.

For the "girls" you named. Try heavier compound lifts in a Met-con setting.

Maybe 155+ C/J at a lower rep scheme. Stuff like that. Just be sure you are confident with your form prior to heavy, high heart rate work.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:49 PM   #789
Chris Kemp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Freel View Post
Thanks a lot man, this really helps. I live in Manhattan so lifting at home is out. I'll try the schedule you laid out and hopefully my coaches will be cool with it. So you think eliminating ME Back Squat is ok if I have ME FS and HR BS? Makes sense to me I guess, along with whatever ME WODs come up involving BS.
Deads are great at getting you strong - so are back squats but in my experience squats place greater demands on recovery hence my personal bias. Maybe try a couple of cycles with ME deads then flip and work your back squats.

Cheers, kempie
Old 02-11-2010, 03:06 PM   #790
Jordan Wallace

Profile:

I have attached my proposed schedule, would appreciate some feedback if possible.

Jordan.

Last edited by Jordan Wallace : 01-22-2012 at 04:07 PM.