CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-01-2009, 02:51 PM   #561
Mark Lanza

Profile:
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

[quote=Eddie Watts;650291]i want strength basically, without losing my metcon ability.
i started this year wanting a 200kg deadlift and was working well towards it using the once a week deadlift day.
then i stupidly hurt myself on a rowing machine some months back, over-extended pretty badly and badly bruised lumbar muscles, pulled hips out of line and wonkied my pelvis up...(i'd had this problem for a few years without realising so i was not as bad as if i'd never had it. took about 6 weeks to get back upto lifting capacity all told i think)
back on track again now but have moved to twice a week deadlifts and reckon if i can keep adding 5kg a week i should be capable of hitting a 200kg deadlift by the end of the year.[/QUOT
Eddie -- what was the fix for your injury? A buddy of mine did the same thing on the rower and still walks like an old man 8 weeks later.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:26 PM   #562
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Allen View Post
from the 5-3-1 article

"Don't customize: This probably applies to any program published on this site, but it especially matters for 5/3/1. You must do the program the way it's written.

"People ask the craziest ****," Wendler says, his voice getting louder again. " 'Can I combine 5/3/1 with Westside for Skinny Bastards?' Why not just do one or the other and make progress?

"These same guys then ***** three months later on some message board that the program didn't work. That's like complaining that your girl got pregnant despite you using a Trojan condom, except you forget to mention you were wearing the condom on your freakin' fingers."

I'm no programming expert, but this looks more like a limit strength kind of a deal, whereas CFSB is a FUNCTIONAL STRENGTH program. IMHO this is probably more like SS.

Pick a program based on your goals, and do that program. 5-3-1 probably works, SS works, CFSB works, CFE works, CF Main Page works, CFB works, but if you mush them together, whatever you get probably won't work. Just my $.02.
OMG Marcus, that quote is absolutely MONEY! Man, let's just cut and past that into every thread about combining programs.

Can't thank you enough.

--bingo
Old 09-01-2009, 07:05 PM   #563
Jake Schultheis

Profile:

Hey guys,

I know I donít have a high post count, but Iíve been a lurker on the thread for quite some time. Iíve done Coach Rutís MEBB with excellent results, so Iíve decided to try out CFSB and see what happens. Anyway, I have a few questions that I never found addressed, and a few personal physical restraints that must be resolved.

I know there are some threads out there detailing short, heavy metcons. No offense whatsoever to the publishers of those threads (Iíve done many of the Rxíd workouts from those threads), but if Bingo or Kempie could send me a list of the short metcons they used while using the CFSB routine I would really appreciate it. Did anyone witness wear and tear from performing the same lifts week after week? I believe Coach Rut recommends only performing a lift three weeks in a row then changing the programing. I suppose my question is with multiple cycles of CFSB, are people still making solid gains as opposed to getting used to performing the same lift week after week? Admittedly, I tend to have the ability to get a little stupid early on with a new thing. I am trying to not hit any PRs for the first few weeks, I HOPE I can keep that trend up. Now I have some personal programming issues I need to resolve.

I tore my labrum(major tear) a few years ago and do not have the range of motion to do back squats. I used to have a horseshoe bar that allowed me to back squat, but no longer have access to it (it was at school, and Iíve graduated). It kills me not being able to back squat, but I simply cannot do it. Could someone recommend alternatives for the ME Monday? Furthermore, what should I substitute for high rep back squats? My shoulder has also affected my ability to press, and I feel my press is very weak due to it. Any recommendations on how to improve my press would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:51 AM   #564
Eddie Watts

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lanza View Post
Eddie -- what was the fix for your injury? A buddy of mine did the same thing on the rower and still walks like an old man 8 weeks later.
i'll pm you because it'll be a long post on here otherwise
Old 09-02-2009, 01:11 AM   #565
Mani Singh

Profile:

hey guys like in one of the above posts, i would also be very grateful is somebody can post what metcons were used by the trainers...iv been trying with CFSB but have difficulty choosing a metcon, it takes me ages and i end up doing things i enjoy or find easy rather than the had stuff...if someone has a list that they work down or follow a website or affiliate for their metcons that would be great. thanks alot
Old 09-02-2009, 01:18 AM   #566
Eddie Watts

Profile:

check the heavy hybrids thread. also i just find metcons i do in under 10 minutes, make them heavier if possible and do them.
any amrap in 20 minutes, up weight and make it amrap in 10 minutes
simple (in theory, you'll have to play around to find the right balance)
Old 09-02-2009, 02:00 AM   #567
Chris Kemp

Profile:

Mani, Jake and anyone else that wants some ideas for metcons to match with your lifting here is a link to my training log

http://s15.zetaboards.com/CrossFit/topic/147382/46/ (WFS)

I started my first cycle on 10 October so fast forward to that. Also keep in mind that I was learning/ experimenting as I went so there is a bit of trial and error.

My third most recent cycle starts here
http://s15.zetaboards.com/CrossFit/s...06662&t=147382 (WFS)

This is only my way with my biases and preferences but should be a reasonable guide for others who are struggling. Please keep any commentary on my approach to this thread or PM - not on my log.

Cheers, kempie
Old 09-02-2009, 06:03 AM   #568
Joseph Jenkins

Profile:

Thanks Kempie,
Just took a look through your log and got some good ideas for WODS.
Jake
Old 09-02-2009, 07:37 AM   #569
Xavier Berges

Profile:

Guys, I was wondering, im lacking strongly in upper body strength and am fairly good in lower body strength, can I substitue front squat with bench press or is there any other big upper body lift? What else can I do to bias towards upper boddy strength (ie: grip, chest, back, triceps, etc...)? Iīm currently working on my pull ups hard as well as ring dips. Thanks guys
Old 09-02-2009, 08:48 AM   #570
Ted Apollo

Profile:

xavier, i did a tweaked version of CFSB a month ago and i added in bench on mondays with back squats. i was pr'ing every weeek under this program. i also added oly lifts twice a week. here is what i was doing:

Monday ME Back Squats/Bench + high rep sott presses + metcon + handstand practice

Tuesday ME Cleans (& Jerk) + high rep deadlifts + bike/run (interval) + rack practice

Wednesday Rest

Thursday ME Overhead Squats (or front squat)/Press + high rep presses + metcon + handstand practice

Friday ME Snatch/Deadlift + bike/run (interval) + rack practice

Saturday Metcon +

Sunday bike/run (LSD)