CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-22-2004, 10:54 AM   #1
Neill S. Occhiogrosso

Profile:
I was just tooling around PubMed, and the articles speak favorably of these two supplements.

Does anybody have any opinions / experiences with them?
Old 01-22-2004, 12:52 PM   #2
Scott Parker

Profile:
neil-

i have to say the stuff changed my life, seriously.

when i was living in colorado i was diagnosed with chondromylasia (chronic overuse) by an orthopedic physician, and told me that i would definately need surgery on both knees. my knees hurt so bad everyday that sometimes it was rough just getting out of bed, and i'm only 27 years old!

to make a long story short, at the advice of a physical therapist friend i avoided surgery (which only had a 50% rate of actually correcting the problem), began my own version of physical therapy (crossfit), and began taking glucosamine and chondroitin. i have to say the stuff, at least for me, worked wonders. it did take a little while to begin to notice the effects (a few months), but be patient!

just make sure you take both glucosamine AND chondroitin. i'm not exactly sure why, but you need them both. also, if your are diabetic it may raise your blood sugar, and if you have any type of liver problems you may have trouble metabolizing it, rendering it useless. other than that, the only other downfall about glucosamine and chondroitin is that in some people it messes up their stomach. i remember that at first it bothered me a little, but not enough to stop taking it. but know of a friend i recommended it to, and she just couldn't handle it. she said she was droppoing bombs left and right.

before taking it i couldn't even run a 1/4 mile because the pain was so intense, but now i can do pretty much anything i want to, and have little to no pain. just remember to be patient if you begin taking it.

hope this helps.

scott
Old 01-22-2004, 12:57 PM   #3
Neill S. Occhiogrosso

Profile:
Thanks very much for the reply, Scott--I'm sold.

Do you (or anybody else) have any buying tips? I think Glucosamine and Chondroitin are pretty widely available, but is there a difference between what I'd get at CVS and some particular brand?

Again, thanks for the information; this is very helpful.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:46 PM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Neil-

Good stuff IMO. The stuff I have read seems to point towards glucosamine as the better of the two and it is less expensive. You can buy it bulk from most healthfood stores for pennies compared to the capsule form. Jarrow formulas is a good company for capsules.

As an asside- Bones and cartilage (chicken, fish) are loaded with GS/CS. Bon Apetite!
Robb
Old 01-22-2004, 03:10 PM   #5
Scott Parker

Profile:
i have been using the jarrow formula glucosamine and chondroitin for over a year at the recommendation of robert wolf, and have no complaints. i take 1500mg/ day spaced over 2 or 3 times a day.

there is a reason why you should take both glucosamin & chondroitin together, but i don't know the exact reason at the moment. i will find out and get back to you about it.

scott
Old 01-22-2004, 05:15 PM   #6
Roy

Profile:

My Dad works at a Farm and Ranch store, and brought home a very powerful MSM for race horses over a year ago. Him and I have both been taking it daily. Since then, he has been able to move his previously injured rotator cuff(which has just about no cartilage!) and I have never had joint pain ever since, like I did occasionally with regular MSM. We still have the same tub of MSM he brought.

This MSM in particular is nothing less than a miracle, and that's an understaement. Almost two year supply costs 50 dollars, and thats between two people taking over a teaspoon a day.

Cheers

Roy
Old 01-23-2004, 08:02 AM   #7
Steve Shafley

Profile:
I've had good results with MSM as well. And it's cheap. MSM, Glucosamine and Chondroiten should all be effective and synergistic.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:39 PM   #8
Liz Neufeldt

Profile:
Re: Glucosamine and Chondroitin

Yes, taking glucosamine/chondroitin and MSM combined will yield the best results. The glucosamine and chondroitin work to help the body build cartilage and lubricate the joints, and the msm is a pretty effective pain killer and anti-inflammatory. So combined, they work really well. And you can usually find pretty good deals on it as well, especially if you shop around online.

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 02-24-2009 at 05:38 AM. Reason: unqualified link
Old 12-09-2008, 05:05 PM   #9
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz Neufeldt View Post
Yes, taking glucosamine/chondroitin & MSM combined will yield the best results. The glucosamine and chondroitin work to help the body build cartilage and lubricate the joints, and the msm is a pretty effective pain killer and anti-inflammatory. So combined, they work really well. And you can usually find pretty good deals on it as well, especially if you shop around online.

Liz, good reply, though it is the first one in about 5 years. Way to dig into the archives.....

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 02-24-2009 at 05:38 AM.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:00 PM   #10
Brian Bedell

Profile:

I'm not a big fan of supplements, and am generally a believer that we don't need them and that most are BS, there are a couple supps that work, and that stuff works. I take it.