CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 12-09-2008, 03:32 PM   #11
Justin McGinley

Profile:
Re: First time Fran and Thrusters

Just do it.

Fran is going to suck. You'll be faster next time, which is all that matters. Spend less time planning a perfect attack and don't worry about the time.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:53 PM   #12
Richard Vanmeerbeek

Profile:

I go along with my friends here, just go for it.

I was coming out of a 2.5 month oly-lifting cycle and did Fran right after that (last Sunday). I'm walking like a pingouin today.

The high volume of thruster will most likely blast your legs. Embrace it
Old 12-09-2008, 04:02 PM   #13
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Vanmeerbeek View Post
The high volume of thruster will most likely blast your legs. Embrace it
hence, why I chose to do Fran this week. This possibly could be my only workout until the weekend. Work's killiing me.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:12 PM   #14
Donald Lee

Profile:

Fran was my first workout after about one week off for finals. It absolutely destroyed me. I tried sitting and walking around, but nothing helped. Then, I lied down in the car for about 20 min. I thought I was going to die. Somehow, I made it home safely.

Don't be surprised by major rhabdo-like symptoms. I'd be careful. If while you're going at it, your body is telling you it's too extreme, just lower the reps to like 15-12-9.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #15
Brian Lawyer

Profile:
8:35 as Rxd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goldberg View Post
...Bring your weights to the backyard so they are as near to the pullup bar as possible. ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
...Pick your barbell to your backyard, and get it done. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
...Put the barbell close to the pull up bar. When you are done with thrusters, jump on the pull up bar; when you finish with pull ups, clean the barbell and get to the thrusters.
Sorry, I know you guys meant well but I am F'n ****ed off at all of you who told me to bring my bar and weights into the backyard. The ground was a little wet still from rain last night. Needless to say, I spent the end of my workout wiping mudd off my bumper plates. In addition, I have three ditches in my backyard. One in the middle where my feet were and two on either side where I was dropping the weights.

Who knows. Maybe you guys saved me a few seconds on my time. I felt like I may have rested long enough between thrusters and pull-ups I could have made the walk to my backyard.

Here's the analysis:
Thrusters - heels down, back in extension, full lockout overhead. I mostly just dropped my a** down and bounced out of the bottom.

Kippings - Started out chest to bar on each rep but finished each roudn doing chin above bar.

21 thrusters. not to bad. I found my self resting a lot with the bar locked out over head.

21 PU's - Cant remember but I think I did 15 stopped then popped off another 6.

15 thrusters - Deliberated why I started this stupid post and thought I was going to be majorly embarrased if I didn't pick up the da*m bar. Picked it up, Popped of 8. Dropped the bar. Waited. Picked up the bar and popped off the last 7.

15 PU's - Same as thrusters 8 then 7.

9 thrusters - After some long contemplation, finally picked up the bar and popped off all 9 in a row. Like I said at the beginning I just got that downward momentum going and bounced like hell out of the bottom. Hopefully it didn't wreak havoc on my knees.

9 PU's - Went something like 4. Stopped. 3 stopped. 2 Finished.

And that is my 8:35 fran.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:49 PM   #16
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Good work.....next time don't over analyze it, just do it.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:33 AM   #17
Artem Sivak

Profile:

Get a buddy to do it with you so you're not the only one suffering. Misery loves company!

P.S. Fran is a b*tch! Kicks my butt everytime!
Old 12-10-2008, 09:23 AM   #18
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Nice work, Brian.

PS: don't hate us for telling you to bring the barbell out to the bar... had we known it was muddy out there, we'd have also told you to throw down a couple sheets of plywood so that you wouldn't be getting your bumpers muddy, nor would you have dug the ditches!

Old 12-10-2008, 11:22 AM   #19
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Nice work, Brian.

PS: don't hate us for telling you to bring the barbell out to the bar... had we known it was muddy out there, we'd have also told you to throw down a couple sheets of plywood so that you wouldn't be getting your bumpers muddy, nor would you have dug the ditches!

It was dark last night. I looked this morning and the damage isn't too bad. Just too ditches on either side about the width of my 25lb bumpers and about 4 inches deep. When the grass starts growing again. I'll have to throw some dirt in those grooves so grass will cover it up.

FYI, If I hadn't started this thread there was no way I would have pulled off a 8:35. I probably would have done a leisurely 10 minutes or more. But the fact I knew you all were going to hold me accountable forced me to pick up the bar after that first set of 21 and just get it done.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:22 PM   #20
David Meverden

Profile:

Good work, Brian! It's true that Fran is talked about too much, but it's not without reason. No other workout I have ever done has annihilated me in the same way. A lot of crossfit workouts are bad, but there's just something about Fran . . . gotta love it