CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 08-27-2008, 02:43 PM   #11
Scott Ponte

Profile:
Re: Anyone watching Taekwondo on the Olympics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Ballantyne View Post
....but the ref just stood there, with a small cut lip....sucker kicked in the face by an Olympic athlete, and he wasn't really damaged?
Oh I've already saw this argument ALOT on a couple of MMA forums. Muy Thai guys say he woulda been obliterated, etc etc. One art vs another.

I don't wanna get into it now.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:01 PM   #12
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Ballantyne View Post
....but the ref just stood there, with a small cut lip....sucker kicked in the face by an Olympic athlete, and he wasn't really damaged?
I've seen a guy get his jaw broken. I also have a family member that broke someone's arm, both with Taekwondo. I bet the Cuban didn't go full power.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:42 AM   #13
Peter Queen

Profile:

Did anyone else find it odd how the cuban fighter (Angel Matos) was favoring his left leg when he went down, which is why he was penalized for taking too much injury time out, then suddenly find the strength and concentration to use that same leg to kick the poor ref in the face.

Hmmmmm, it seems that Angel should have gotten back in the fight and focused on his opponent instead of the ref in the first place.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:54 AM   #14
Scott Borre

Profile:

He was probably out of breath and faked an injury. And then didn't keep track of time well enough.

I've finished a fight and fought another fight with a broken leg (okay admittedly I didn't know it was broken.. just thought it was bruised, and it only really really hurt about an hour later [however, I couldn't use it at all to kick with in the next match.. which led me to lose by 1 point]). And I wouldn't say that I have the greatest pain tolerance.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:24 PM   #15
Floyd Russell

Profile:

That Cuban fighter is a disgrace to himself as a fighter, as a black belt, and to his country.

Btw he has since had his black belt and all his medals stripped. I don't know what was going on through his mind but im sure he's one of those guys who will blame everyone and their mother before realizing his own shame. This isn't TapOut. There are no "bad boys" of Taekwondo.

As one of his punishments he and his coach should be forced to watch the "Best of the Best" series of movies. (At least the first two)

I digress. The Refs at this level at very stingy with points. USA Taekwondo is trying to push a new electronic scoring system to make up for human error. As I have witnessed, this new scoring format has its own set of problems. I really think that there needs to be a revamp of the scoring system in general. They should get rid of the 12 point ceiling/7 point gap system at that high of a level.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-04-2008, 02:58 PM   #16
Armita Pebdani

Profile:

Kinda jumping the bandwagon late on this one...by about a week but:

Floyd, I agree full heartedly with you. The referees are very, very stingy with those points. I was not very happy with the scoring either.

I've seen the stuff that USA-T is trying to push, as well as The WTF. They're actually trying to incorporate an electronic scoring system for 2012...and based on the matches that I've seen them used it there is a LOT of room for improvement.

To me, the ceiling/gap rule is just another way to make the matches shorter (they shortened the mens rounds to 2 minutes, coulda sworn they were 3 at some point). If a player happens to get 7-0 in the first round or so, the game shouldn't end there. Maybe player B has more endurance than player A and can easily make the points up later. We'd never know with the point gap.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:59 PM   #17
Steve Lobotsky

Profile:

I totally missed all the TKD events.
Didn't know this thread was here til today.
Anyhow TKD was my passion 25 years ago. Haven't kicked in a long time.
Back in 1981,82 I had the opportunity to fight at the nationals, for the US team selections. There was always a lot of talk about TKD becoming an Olympic sport so we all had 'The Dream' of Olympic glory. Any how I just had no chance of beating Mike O'Malley. 6'4 ,155lbs.,all legs ,on the national team for years.
Oh well.
I have to say that what the sport has become is not what it used to be.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:55 PM   #18
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

http://ballhype.com/video/angel_valo...n_t_like_refs/
wfs

Cuban TKD guy kicks ref in the face.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:51 PM   #19
Floyd Russell

Profile:

You know with all the negative conceptions out there I am really tempted to write a paper on the Sport of Taekwondo. Seeing the action on video in no way does it justice. And I think the comparison between Olympic Taekwondo and MMA (Even Maui Tai) is comparing apples to oranges. I know people will have their opinions but as a fighter who trains for it using sport specific training and Crossfit/Crosspit conditioning, it'd be worth putting some intelligent perspective on it.

Feel free to add your input. It doesn't matter what background you have. All comments and questions are valid to me within reason.