CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:59 PM   #1
Joseph L. Roberts

Profile:
Running Kids class without CF Kids certs

I was wondering what the guidelines are on this for CF affiliates. For one I think it's great that the CF kids Cert requires a background check. I'm sure that parents knowing of that lets them know that CF goes the extra step not just to provide quality training but quality with safety for the chilren on all levels.

That being said how is looked upon to teach a kids class without a CF Kids cert? I've only noticed it with one CF affiliate who just calls it by another name. How does that all work and what are the thoughts/opinions on it?
Old 08-21-2008, 01:37 AM   #2
John Velandra

Profile:
Re: Running Kids class without CF Kids certs

Joe,
To use the NAME they must be CF level 1 and CFK certified and affiliated with Jeff at CFK / Brand X.

A lot of people will balk at making the trip out cause "it's just watered down CrossFit." That's a big mistake. (1) It isn't watered down CF, there are definitive benefits to training kids the way Jeff & Mikki teach it (2) They get great supprt from the CFK folks, and (3) It was probably the very best cert I have taken!

Hope that helps bro
Old 08-21-2008, 06:47 AM   #3
Joseph L. Roberts

Profile:

John,

Thanks for the info. Yeah I'm suprised that people would take that approach to saying it's "watered down". To me it's probably an even more important class then CF for adults because it's the best opportunity to develop good habits early than correcting them later in life. Not just exercise but motor skill development, team work, socializing in a positve environment, etc.

IMHO though I just feel that if a CF affiliate is teaching a kids class in a CF facility without a CF kids cert it becomes a grey area so to speak.

Congrats on the CF kids Cert by the way!
Old 08-23-2008, 07:19 AM   #4
Joseph L. Roberts

Profile:

To me, if you run a kids program as a CF affiliate in a CF location. You open doors to speculation:

-CF Kids cert requires a background check. So is there a background reason why they don't have a CF kids cert?

-I think the question would be asked even more if a person is CF level 2 and has a kids class without a CF Kids Cert.

-also if there is CF locations close to eachother. One has a CF Kids cert and one doesn't but the other just calls it another name (Kidz Fit). That's not fair to the CF location that took the time to get a CF kids cert.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:23 AM   #5
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Interesting topic...
Old 08-23-2008, 04:22 PM   #6
Max Zerba

Profile:

Do I need a KB Cert to use kettlebells? Do I need a POSE class to let people run at my gym? Do I need to see Rip to run classes the press or dead lift? I'm not peeing on the cert, but you can run crossfit adults, crossfit seniors, crossfit juniors, or crossfit kids classes with a level one cert. I'm sure it's a great cert, all the certs and seminars I have a been too have provided great info and support. But saying it's required is silly.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:08 AM   #7
John C. Brown

Profile:

Max,

I don't think that anyone is saying it is required to train kids, however, it is required to call that training a "CrossFit Kids" class.

Is it worth the trip... so far as I can tell, absolutely. Jeff and Mikki Martin as well as the whole Brand X crew are among the best trainers in the world, and when it comes to training children I would say that they arguably are.

Before CrossFit, my wife was a pediatric physical therapist and therefore had logged lots of hours in a clinic trying to get kids to squat, develop midline stabilization and all other sort of CF-esque type training. When she returned from the "Kids" cert she was easily twice the trainer that she was before and not just for the kids. As trainers we have to recognize that not all cues work for every individual client. In that regard, having a more expansive understanding of cueing techniques is critical to the success of your athletes. A good amount of the adults that come into CF Agoge have the ability of a mid-pubescent boy (no spacial awareness and very awkward in their bodies). Learning how to cue someone like that as you would cue a child has proven helpful... Oh yeah, and running a successful kids affiliate has caused a disgusting amount of growth for the gym as well. We have parents that drive an hour and a half for their children 2 times a week and most of the parents that weren't already members are now or are very seriously considering it.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:46 AM   #8
Joseph L. Roberts

Profile:

My first dose of realizing the importance of good training for chidren's classes was actually at THE PIT in Arroyo Grande. The "lil Dragons" class is so much more than a martial arts class. Very in depth on neuro development, social skills, etc in a positive environment.

For me, even if I never affiliated with CF, the certs work well for me. If I was to ever teach a kids class I woud probably get the CF cert because of the weight it carries. Plus IMHO I'm showing parents I took that extra step. My 2 cents.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:09 AM   #9
Cheryl Polack

Profile:

As a mother of 2, like all parents, I want what’s best for my children. Although I know there are gifted individuals who are naturally great instructors, I only send my children to schools that can verify that their teachers are well educated and certified w/ the necessary qualifications. Being a certifed CF Trainer is not the same as being a certified CF Kids Trainer - this I have learned from personal experience.

My boys’ first CF experience had been supervised by a well-trained and respected CF trainer. Although he ran a classic CF WOD, it donned on me after having had participated in the CFKids Cert, their WOD had been totally inappropriate for kids and he had unintentionally put them at great risk. It explained why the boys had become so reluctant to continue doing CF. Although he is one of the best CF trainers in this area, he lacked the knowledge and skills that Jeff, Mikki and Cyndi have gained from years of experience doing CF with children and teenagers.

Applying the knowledge gained from my own participation in the CF Kids Cert in our home has totally transformed my boys. Since the CFKids Certification in May, our 11 and 15 year old boys (both deconditioned - requiring totally different programming and different instructional cues) now do CF Kids on a daily basis. (see http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...=polack&page=2)

Do you need a Kettlebell Cert to swing a kettle bell? A POSE Cert to run? No, but by participating in these certifications you are learning from experts in these areas. These experts share with you their specialized education and knowledge gained from years of experience in their field of study, teaching you the best way to instruct your client to move more efficiently, therefore improving his or her performance and decreasing the possibility of injury.

Participating in a “Certification” is the benchmark for measuring quality and excellence in any organization. Well-established guidelines and programming that insist certain minimum standards are met and followed by everyone. Certification assures us that a program, like CF, maintains a certain level of excellence and quality for all participants. Our children are our most valued treasure. As Jeff, Mikki and Cyndi stress in the CFKids Cert, these children are given into your care. I believe you have an inherent responsibility to do what is in their best interest.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:37 PM   #10
Joseph L. Roberts

Profile:

Well in my area it's quickly shown the difference in attendance of 2 CF's that teach a kids class where one has a CF kids Cert and one does not. No secret that one CF with the CF kids Certs has more attendance.