CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-08-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
Ryan Lynch

Profile:
Crossfit and the Anabolic Diet?

Has anyone used the Anabolic Diet with Crossfit?

Specifically, did you stick with the 3-1 training routing, or switch to 5-2?

If you stuck with the 3-1, how did you feel on the carb load days? How was your workouts/performance?

Thanks, Ryan
Old 08-09-2008, 01:05 AM   #2
Todd A Ferguson

Profile:
Re: Crossfit and the Anabolic Diet?

Quote:
If you stuck with the 3-1, how did you feel on the carb load days? How was your workouts/performance
Hi Ryan busy road testing this eating programme now, seems to be quite interesting. I have loads of energy, more than normal, you sure do feel the carbs on the 'loading' days or hours (36-48) I should say we get very sleepy & lethargic almost as though you are on medication.
I have done my toughest week yet on CF even threw in an extra WOD or two & at present all is good (although a little stiff).
My wife & I road test eating programmes together so we can judge the effects on male & female bodies we have noticed that you need to eat as many greens as possible though & vary these, we still eat Red peppers, olives, hummus & cheese but we stay within the carb limit of 30gsm per day make sure you consume the EFA’s (essential fatty acids) every day.

Don't know if I can sustain this indefinitely as I do miss my baked potato's sweet potato & Quinoa. But then I can always wait till the weekend & eat till I fall asleep with carb overload, the whole-wheat chocolate cake my wife baked last night was heaven, yes it is finished & yes we just woke up from the self induced coma (I was amazing how the body reacted to the carbs, like a sponge)
We will stick with this for 8 weeks and see what happens, we have a vacation in between so It might become a little tough to meet the requirements. But we will keep you posted. Hope it helps & we wont put a verdict out just yet.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:01 AM   #3
Ryan Lynch

Profile:

Thanks for the reply.

So your doing the standard 3-1 schedule then?

Are you trying to lose weight? put on muscle? other reasons?

Keep me posted please. I'm very interested in this diet. I'm only taking in about 100g of carbs right now so I think getting down to the 30 should be fairly easy. I'm just worried about not being able to get a good workout in if I'm in an carb coma...hehe

-Ryan
Old 08-09-2008, 03:30 PM   #4
Charles Bennington

Profile:

I did it for a while and stuck with the 3-1.

The results blew me away. I'll most definitely do it again, just have to cycle as money and the psychological factors allow. I did it for about 2 1/2-3 months. Every lift improved as well significant bodyfat loss.

That being said, it was prohibitively expensive and I did fear getting burnt out on my favorite foods.

The carb days will put you on your ***, seriously. Go 0-30 carbs per day for about 2 weeks +/-. You will probably feel like crap as your body makes a full switch from using carbs to fat, almost like a mild flu. Once you go through that cycle and move on to your body burning fat for energy, begin to cycle in carb days. Try and structure heavy compound lifts for the carb days, don't count on having energy for any serious metcon/cardio type work.

Good luck, hit me up if you wanna chat about it.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:35 PM   #5
Ryan Lynch

Profile:

Thanks for the info. I almost ready to give it a try. I just need to cut out the oatmeal and the carbs from the PWO recovery drink and I'm easily under 30g. I'm also going to also switch over to the 5-2 workout schedule. I know already I'm pretty worthless on carbs so I'm expecting to spend most of weekend in a coma...hopefully it won't be that bad. I'll post my results once I get to the first carb load weekend.

-Ryan
Old 08-09-2008, 07:41 PM   #6
Charles Bennington

Profile:

[quote=Ryan Lynch;371637] I know already I'm pretty worthless on carbs so I'm expecting to spend most of weekend in a coma...hopefully it won't be that bad./QUOTE]

If you're already pretty worthless on carbs you WILL pass out within 30 minutes or so of your first carb heavy meal pretty much everytime. It is however a phenomenal nap!
Old 06-14-2009, 05:33 PM   #7
Brad O'Hara

Profile:

could you guys post what a sample day's worth of meals looked like? Im having trouble of finding foods to eat low enough on carbs and high enough on protein to fit in this diet
Old 06-14-2009, 07:01 PM   #8
Ryan Lynch

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad O'Hara View Post
could you guys post what a sample day's worth of meals looked like? Im having trouble of finding foods to eat low enough on carbs and high enough on protein to fit in this diet
I pretty much eat only meat during the week. Sometimes a salad or some vegetables when I'm on the road, but mostly meat. Lots of beef, eggs and chicken.

I'd refer you to this thread...most of the AD discussion is there.

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=35868 (WFS)

-Ryan
Old 06-30-2009, 08:19 AM   #9
Carlos Gato

Profile:

just saw this thread and i wanted to subscribe to it and hear others feedback as I too am planning on a 3/1 split. I'm currently in my induction phase.

Those on 3/1 would you say that this assisted you with being able to stick with the 3/1 routine split of crossfit?
Old 06-30-2009, 09:17 AM   #10
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

I honestly don't know how you guys do a high intensity WOD in keto. I can barely do sets of 5+. It works for weight loss, obviously, but for me, my performance takes a drastic hit.