CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2008, 05:40 AM   #1
David Gessen
Member David Gessen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Winnipeg  Manitoba
Posts: 180
Power clean and deadlift

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BA7WQj1gnl4
WFS

http://youtube.com/watch?v=i_wbFaGI61Y
WFS



again with the power clean, I'm rotating the elbows... and this weight isn't even heavy for me!

The first rep of the deadlift was pretty crappy I admit
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:01 AM   #2
Keenan Lightner
Member Keenan Lightner is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Rogers  AR
Posts: 63
Re: Power clean and deadlift

I will leave the critiques to those with a coaching eye but I would like to make one comment....

Stop getting distracted by people walking around you. It kills your concentration. Look down the whole time and focus in.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:49 AM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki
Member Jamie J. Skibicki is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pittsburgh  PA
Posts: 8,841
Re: Power clean and deadlift

Your leading with your hips on both the PC and the dead. Keep your torso angle constant at the start of the lift than allow it to open. Don't close it.

On your PCs, get you elbows around faster. Really drive them into position. This is an aggressive move.

That being said, they look fairly good. Keep up the good work. I also noticed your not doing hang cleans, good job man.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
Gary Ohm
Member Gary Ohm is offline
 
Gary Ohm's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Paso Robles  Ca
Posts: 212
Re: Power clean and deadlift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan Lightner View Post

Stop getting distracted by people walking around you. It kills your concentration. Look down the whole time and focus in.
Agree!! You are going to kill yourself doing that. Your head is swiveling all around and if you don't get set before a lift, something is going to tweek bigtime. Also, you are spending alot of time and energy in the down position with your hands figeting and your shorts flapping. Use a light weight and get the rest of your form down. Then approach the bar, get your grip quick, and away you go.
ON your clean it looked like you maybe have a little too much transition between the first and second pull. Perhaps go a little lighter until you can smooth that out. A dynamic move in the middle of a dynamic move spelt trouble for my back not too long ago. For your dead, think about pulling/leaning back rather than straight up. Keep the bar really close to your shins, knees, and thighs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #5
Adrian Dowst
Member Adrian Dowst is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hoboken  NJ
Posts: 26
Re: Power clean and deadlift

One thing I noticed on the DL was that your arms had a slight bend to them. Remember, on these movements your arms should only be 'ropes' that the rest of your body uses to connect with the bar. This won't be a problem at low weights, but once things get heavy, your arms might tell your brain 'this is too heavy', which will psych you out (I speak from personal experience).

Keep at it, man!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:38 PM   #6
Phillip Garrison
Banned Phillip Garrison is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mesa  AZ
Posts: 1,382
Re: Power clean and deadlift

Your hips are pulling way faster than your torso, you then have to jump forward to get anywhere near a straight line. Your catch position isn't very solid. Just like the dead lift, your back angle, should stay pretty close to the same, until your second pull, and your hips should not rise faster than your shoulders.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:14 AM   #7
David Gessen
Member David Gessen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Winnipeg  Manitoba
Posts: 180
Re: Power clean and deadlift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan Lightner View Post
I will leave the critiques to those with a coaching eye but I would like to make one comment....

Stop getting distracted by people walking around you. It kills your concentration. Look down the whole time and focus in.
you're right, I'll focus on the wall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Your leading with your hips on both the PC and the dead. Keep your torso angle constant at the start of the lift than allow it to open. Don't close it.

On your PCs, get you elbows around faster. Really drive them into position. This is an aggressive move.

That being said, they look fairly good. Keep up the good work. I also noticed your not doing hang cleans, good job man.
If you'll look at the video again, you will see that I am leading with my hips(***) first only on the first rep. I thought like you also but I've watched the video about 10 times and I think beside the first rep that it was ok...
I'll try that but I doubt I will succeed, I don't really think this is because I'm not rotating them fast enough, it's something else in the technique, it just doesn't feel right you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Ohm View Post
Agree!! You are going to kill yourself doing that. Your head is swiveling all around and if you don't get set before a lift, something is going to tweek bigtime. Also, you are spending alot of time and energy in the down position with your hands figeting and your shorts flapping. Use a light weight and get the rest of your form down. Then approach the bar, get your grip quick, and away you go.
ON your clean it looked like you maybe have a little too much transition between the first and second pull. Perhaps go a little lighter until you can smooth that out. A dynamic move in the middle of a dynamic move spelt trouble for my back not too long ago. For your dead, think about pulling/leaning back rather than straight up. Keep the bar really close to your shins, knees, and thighs.
I'm spending alot of time on the down position because I am supposed to be deloading since I'm still a beginner.
As I said, this weight is light for me and actually the bar is digging a ditch in my shins; everytime my shins starts to bleed, and I can't wear long pants because it's summer and where I live it's almost 40C(104F), but we do have air conditioning though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Dowst View Post
One thing I noticed on the DL was that your arms had a slight bend to them. Remember, on these movements your arms should only be 'ropes' that the rest of your body uses to connect with the bar. This won't be a problem at low weights, but once things get heavy, your arms might tell your brain 'this is too heavy', which will psych you out (I speak from personal experience).

Keep at it, man!
From my previous videos I was told that my arms were bent, this time it wasn't. Maybe it's because of the angle but I remember that I kept my arms straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrisonq View Post
Your hips are pulling way faster than your torso, you then have to jump forward to get anywhere near a straight line. Your catch position isn't very solid. Just like the dead lift, your back angle, should stay pretty close to the same, until your second pull, and your hips should not rise faster than your shoulders.
I don't know about the PC but as I said above I don't think I'm leading with the hips, maybe I am...
I'll shoot another video soon
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:19 PM   #8
Chris Salvato
Member Chris Salvato is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado Springs  CO
Posts: 89
Re: Power clean and deadlift

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gessen View Post
you're right, I'll focus on the wall
As I said, this weight is light for me and actually the bar is digging a ditch in my shins; everytime my shins starts to bleed, and I can't wear long pants because it's summer and where I live it's almost 40C(104F), but we do have air conditioning though...
Knee High socks also work.....

you might look a bit strange in the gym but its better than having carved shins
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:40 PM   #9
Gary Ohm
Member Gary Ohm is offline
 
Gary Ohm's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Paso Robles  Ca
Posts: 212
Re: Power clean and deadlift

When you get to where you REALLY don't care what people think, you can take a two liter soda bottle and make shin guards. Cut off the top and bottom and cut it lengthwise in about thirds. Either tape these on top by your knees and down by your ankles, or put them in your knee high socks. VERY cheap and VERY effective. But like I said, you need to be confident enough to not care what folks think... Keep lifting.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deadlift, Squat, Hanging Power Clean Robert Clarke Digital Coaching 10 06-11-2008 04:38 PM
Deadlift, squat and power clean David Gessen Digital Coaching 25 06-06-2008 06:14 AM
Video: Olympic Snatch, Clean, Power Clean Doug Holland Exercises 2 03-15-2008 10:26 PM
Power Clean -vs- Squat Clean (Knees) Wade Smith Injuries 6 01-04-2008 10:38 PM
Clean pulls to improve power clean Sean Manseau Exercises 1 03-19-2007 01:45 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.