CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 07-03-2008, 05:40 AM   #1
David Gessen

Profile:
Power clean and deadlift

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BA7WQj1gnl4
WFS

http://youtube.com/watch?v=i_wbFaGI61Y
WFS

again with the power clean, I'm rotating the elbows... and this weight isn't even heavy for me!

The first rep of the deadlift was pretty crappy I admit
Old 07-03-2008, 06:01 AM   #2
Keenan Lightner

Profile:
Re: Power clean and deadlift

I will leave the critiques to those with a coaching eye but I would like to make one comment....

Stop getting distracted by people walking around you. It kills your concentration. Look down the whole time and focus in.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:49 AM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Your leading with your hips on both the PC and the dead. Keep your torso angle constant at the start of the lift than allow it to open. Don't close it.

On your PCs, get you elbows around faster. Really drive them into position. This is an aggressive move.

That being said, they look fairly good. Keep up the good work. I also noticed your not doing hang cleans, good job man.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
Gary Ohm

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan Lightner View Post

Stop getting distracted by people walking around you. It kills your concentration. Look down the whole time and focus in.
Agree!! You are going to kill yourself doing that. Your head is swiveling all around and if you don't get set before a lift, something is going to tweek bigtime. Also, you are spending alot of time and energy in the down position with your hands figeting and your shorts flapping. Use a light weight and get the rest of your form down. Then approach the bar, get your grip quick, and away you go.
ON your clean it looked like you maybe have a little too much transition between the first and second pull. Perhaps go a little lighter until you can smooth that out. A dynamic move in the middle of a dynamic move spelt trouble for my back not too long ago. For your dead, think about pulling/leaning back rather than straight up. Keep the bar really close to your shins, knees, and thighs.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #5
Adrian Dowst

Profile:

One thing I noticed on the DL was that your arms had a slight bend to them. Remember, on these movements your arms should only be 'ropes' that the rest of your body uses to connect with the bar. This won't be a problem at low weights, but once things get heavy, your arms might tell your brain 'this is too heavy', which will psych you out (I speak from personal experience).

Keep at it, man!
Old 07-03-2008, 02:38 PM   #6
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Your hips are pulling way faster than your torso, you then have to jump forward to get anywhere near a straight line. Your catch position isn't very solid. Just like the dead lift, your back angle, should stay pretty close to the same, until your second pull, and your hips should not rise faster than your shoulders.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:14 AM   #7
David Gessen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan Lightner View Post
I will leave the critiques to those with a coaching eye but I would like to make one comment....

you're right, I'll focus on the wall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Your leading with your hips on both the PC and the dead. Keep your torso angle constant at the start of the lift than allow it to open. Don't close it.

On your PCs, get you elbows around faster. Really drive them into position. This is an aggressive move.

That being said, they look fairly good. Keep up the good work. I also noticed your not doing hang cleans, good job man.
If you'll look at the video again, you will see that I am leading with my hips(***) first only on the first rep. I thought like you also but I've watched the video about 10 times and I think beside the first rep that it was ok...
I'll try that but I doubt I will succeed, I don't really think this is because I'm not rotating them fast enough, it's something else in the technique, it just doesn't feel right you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Ohm View Post
Agree!! You are going to kill yourself doing that. Your head is swiveling all around and if you don't get set before a lift, something is going to tweek bigtime. Also, you are spending alot of time and energy in the down position with your hands figeting and your shorts flapping. Use a light weight and get the rest of your form down. Then approach the bar, get your grip quick, and away you go.
ON your clean it looked like you maybe have a little too much transition between the first and second pull. Perhaps go a little lighter until you can smooth that out. A dynamic move in the middle of a dynamic move spelt trouble for my back not too long ago. For your dead, think about pulling/leaning back rather than straight up. Keep the bar really close to your shins, knees, and thighs.
I'm spending alot of time on the down position because I am supposed to be deloading since I'm still a beginner.
As I said, this weight is light for me and actually the bar is digging a ditch in my shins; everytime my shins starts to bleed, and I can't wear long pants because it's summer and where I live it's almost 40C(104F), but we do have air conditioning though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Dowst View Post
One thing I noticed on the DL was that your arms had a slight bend to them. Remember, on these movements your arms should only be 'ropes' that the rest of your body uses to connect with the bar. This won't be a problem at low weights, but once things get heavy, your arms might tell your brain 'this is too heavy', which will psych you out (I speak from personal experience).

Keep at it, man!
From my previous videos I was told that my arms were bent, this time it wasn't. Maybe it's because of the angle but I remember that I kept my arms straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrisonq View Post
Your hips are pulling way faster than your torso, you then have to jump forward to get anywhere near a straight line. Your catch position isn't very solid. Just like the dead lift, your back angle, should stay pretty close to the same, until your second pull, and your hips should not rise faster than your shoulders.
I don't know about the PC but as I said above I don't think I'm leading with the hips, maybe I am...
I'll shoot another video soon
Old 07-04-2008, 12:19 PM   #8
Chris Salvato

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gessen View Post
you're right, I'll focus on the wall
As I said, this weight is light for me and actually the bar is digging a ditch in my shins; everytime my shins starts to bleed, and I can't wear long pants because it's summer and where I live it's almost 40C(104F), but we do have air conditioning though...
Knee High socks also work.....

you might look a bit strange in the gym but its better than having carved shins
Old 07-04-2008, 12:40 PM   #9
Gary Ohm

Profile:

When you get to where you REALLY don't care what people think, you can take a two liter soda bottle and make shin guards. Cut off the top and bottom and cut it lengthwise in about thirds. Either tape these on top by your knees and down by your ankles, or put them in your knee high socks. VERY cheap and VERY effective. But like I said, you need to be confident enough to not care what folks think... Keep lifting.