CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-31-2006, 11:16 AM   #1
Jared Waltz

Profile:
Why is soreness always worse the 2nd day?
Old 01-31-2006, 11:43 AM   #2
Motion Macivor

Profile:
I'm not sure why the 2nd day is worse but I do know that gettng bloodflow to the area with light excersize is the best way to get rid of that stiffness. have a hot shower then go for a light bike ride or swim. follow that with some stretching and a sensual mAssage and you're golden (feel free to massage yourself if you dont have access to a massuse). I also know that taking an ibuprofen the night before will help to loosen your muscles as you sleep but I dont recomend this as it can become a bit of a crutch. Actually now that I think of it, it seems to me that the DOMS might be a result of accumulated lactic acid that was not properly flushed with a cool down. That might be wrong though.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:00 PM   #3
Jared Waltz

Profile:
I'm a fan of cold water immersion to prevent DOMS, and it's worked great for me many times as long as I get to it within the hour.

But the 2nd day feeling has always intrigued me.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:33 PM   #4
Motion Macivor

Profile:
Yeah cold water stops the swelling realy well. I also use the 2 min hot two min cold X 3 sets. A football coach told me that one and it really works but it sucks I'd WAY rather just have some light excersize.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:07 PM   #5
Andrew Cattermole

Profile:
As referenced it is labeled DOMS short for Delayed Onset of Muscle Soreness.
Following intense or unaccustomed eccentric exercise muscle(fascia) and connective tissue(tendons) experience disruption which stimulates a increased number of scavenger cells within 24-48hours to the localised area producing a hormone which makes painreceptors on muscle tissue sensitive to movement or pressure.
"paraphrased from Text".
Recovery: Rest(don't move)
Massage, baths and gentle movement(to stimulate circulation are all beneficial.)
Old 01-31-2006, 07:29 PM   #6
Motion Macivor

Profile:
Andrew,
Your explanation Of DOMS makes a lot more sense than mine, but I disagree with the "do not move advice".
Active recovery is a tried and true method for reducing DOMS. The key is LIGHT excercise keep the HR around 60-65 % of max and do it on a bike or in the pool. These forms of excercise allow you to move without the aditional work of supporting your body weight. this will allow you to increase your circulation to the area with out strain or unnecesary stress. This is consistant with the gentle movement advice. I've always found it best to treat it like a light warm up. Over 30-45 min go at an easy pace (Same amount of effort as a brsik walk) if you're on a bike use an easy gear and focus on smooth light pedal strokes until you break into a light sweat, just when you start to feel like ready for a good hard work out... DONT DO ONE! just hit the shower. It's funny how hard it is to explain just how easy you should take it.