CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-30-2004, 08:08 AM   #1
Bobby Nauss

Profile:
Any thoughts? Read somewhere that it is a great warmup, and was wondering what everyone thought. Also, was wondering if there are any instructional tips. My goal is Stallone-like in "Rocky IV." Is there also a "be-all-end-all" rope to use, the one I have gets kinked up and is not very effective.
Old 10-30-2004, 09:14 AM   #2
John McCracken

Profile:
Bobby, you might find these links helpful:

Jump rope discussion

Buddy Lee Jump Ropes
Old 10-30-2004, 11:01 AM   #3
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Bobby,

I have the Rope Master jump rope from Buddy Lee and his instructional DVD as well. I also ordered the Aero Speed rope but it was on back order. I have leather ropes and plastic segmented ropes but have never used a jump rope that is as fast or kink free as the Buddy Lee rope. I recommend his products highly.

As to the utility of jump roping over jumping jacks or some other similar exercise, jump rope has them beat hands down. Pretty much anybody can do jumping jacks but jumping rope requires the development of a bit of coordination. It is a fabulous warm up exercise and a terrific thing to do between harder exercise sets to keep your HR up. I suggest you jump rope on something other than concrete to soften the impact.

Remember when you jump that the rope is not 8 inches thick. In fact the Buddy Lee ropes use a very thin plastic cord that moves very quickly and requires that you just barely leave the ground. This allows for very fast foot movement but requires that you develop some very good timing. Don't jump barefoot. When you get that rope going fast a foot strike will bring tears to your eyes.

Do 3 x 3 minute rounds with one minute rest to start. During the one minute rest turn the handles upside down in your hands and let the rope hang behind you and shadow box for your brief recovery. When you need to go longer add either minutes to the rounds or add more rounds. Vary your routines and do two foot jumps, one foot jumps, jump forward and back, side to side, skip, alternate skips, bunny hop, side step, double jump...the number of things you can do while you jump is vast. The Buddy Lee DVD will show you plenty of jumping skills.

Hope this helps.

eug
Old 10-31-2004, 05:06 PM   #4
Bobby Nauss

Profile:
Thanks for all of the input. I don't have the Buddy Lee DVD just yet. I wasn't sure if there was much value in a video or if it was just something that you needed to do over and over again.
I take it there is some more technique to it than just jumping. Any other technique pointers before I spend the $60 on the DVD? Right now I am just doing it with two feet for about 10 minutes. Of course I am forced to start over pretty often but it's getting a little better.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:35 AM   #5
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Bobby,

This is like trying to explain what an orange tastes like. There is a lot more to jump roping than the two foot hop as the DVD will demonstrate. In fact, you will be astonished what Buddy Lee can do and are likely to be motivated, as I was, to jumping more after you see what that guy can do with a jump rope.

Hoppng with both feet is a great place to start and a good method on its own. But, it is boring as all get out. Try running in place. You will find that you have to spin the rope twice as fast to keep up with your feet and it will wear you out in a hurry. Next give a shot to double unders. Spin the rope around twice on a single jump...repeatedly. When you miss get the rope going again and give it another shot and keep track of how many you can do. Another method is to cross your arms in front of you as you jump and then cross back. I find this easier to do while running. My basic step is a sort of bunny hop...for lack of a more manly term. It is also called the Pony in aerobics circles but don't tell anyone that I know that. You make a jump to the left by moving your left foot first and following with your right so that the right foot lands after your left foot. Repeat to the right and so on. As lame as the name is the movement is very good and is the same thing as a forward and back boxer's shuffle. One last boredom avoider is to swing the rope to the outside of your legs on each side every now and then and then continue jumping.

Make up stuff Bobby. Listen to music, move around, shadow box between rounds, hop on one foot then the other...be inventive. But in the end just jump. Your coordination and endurance will get better and better with time.

eug
Old 11-01-2004, 11:48 AM   #6
John de la Garza

Profile:
I prefer the kind that is a rope with long plastic beads. They are like little tubes about an inch long. YOu can get one at most any sporting goods store. I find it good to remove about 4-5 inches worth of beads do the handles can spin better.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:43 AM   #7
Bobby Nauss

Profile:
Thanks guys, I appreciate your input.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:23 PM   #8
Sean Harrison

Profile:
What's the deal with the segmented plastic ropes? What are they good for? I mean what are the benefits compared to a leather one?
Old 11-05-2004, 08:15 AM   #9
David Wood

Profile:

Sean:

The segmented ones are:

a) usually cheaper
b) have a little more "heft" to them, and hold their elliptical shape a little better while spinning
c) won't turn quite as fast as a good leather rope, if you want to go fast (but a true speed rope with a tapered center section will go even faster than most leather ropes)
d) aren't as good for "trick" work (crossing arms, etc.) as a leather rope.

For most straight jumping for warmup and endurance training, I think it's a toss-up.

Dave
Old 11-05-2004, 09:37 AM   #10
Steve Shafley

Profile:
Going from a leather rope to a BOA2000 messed me up and set me back considerably. I am still able to do a lot more tricks with the leather rope, but the Boa's speed is much faster.