CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:05 AM   #21
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Re: "Call for Pricing"

Celio - I actually agree with you regarding the intro classes, but not because I think it's wrong or right to charge for them, rather we tried them and they did not work for us - we didn't retain most of the people who did those intro classes. But if it works in a different market, then it works for them!

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 09-23-2007, 11:14 AM   #22
Monique T. Ames

Profile:

In response to the intro charges: **Warning...very long post**

Originally, we did not do this because to be honest, we didn't have all that many clients and we could easily spend more time on newbies seperate from the others. Its easy when you only add 1 new client/wk.

As we became busier, 3-4 new clients/wk, we added the 3 mandatory intro classes because we didn't want to take time away from our seasoned clients by mixing classes or limiting them. AND we wanted the new clients to have one-on-one quality time.

BTW- 3 intro classes at CF Evolution:
day 1 mechanics and practice of squat, FS, DL, SDHP, sh press, PP
day 2 mechanics/practice of OHS, clean, PJ, snatch
day 3 mechanics/practice of kipping p/u, muscle up, GHD s/u, thruster, WB
The initial free session, we cover CF warm-up, CF program (the what, why and how), nutrition and WOD.

You can't get better that that unless you're willing to fork out 1,000 for a CF seminar...charging $180 is a BARGAIN (IMNSHO).

Anyway, no one has had a problem seeing the value here and gladly fork out the money. They are told on the free day what they get. So, yes my clients fork out close to $500 upon signing and it's for basically 1 month. Obviously I won't get the award for philanthropy this year, but I am new and this is a business in which I need to make money at.

By charging too low a price in general could mean you are philanthropic or not worth more money. Charging more could mean it's just a business or you are a top notch trainer. I prefer to take my chances with the later and feel that we prove it on the first free day. Price and quality go hand in hand.

But like Becca said...if it works do it, if not try something else
and Tyler Durden...it's just me, I could be wrong

Last edited by Monique T. Ames : 09-23-2007 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:40 AM   #23
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monique T. Ames View Post
Anyway, no one has had a problem seeing the value here and gladly fork out the money. They are told on the free day what they get. So, yes my clients fork out close to $500 upon signing and it's for basically 1 month. Obviously I won't get the award for philanthropy this year, but I am new and this is a business in which I need to make money at.

By charging too low a price in general could mean you are philanthropic or not worth more money. Charging more could mean it's just a business or you are a top notch trainer. I prefer to take my chances with the later and feel that we prove it on the first free day. Price and quality go hand in hand.
That's awsome.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:21 AM   #24
Corey Duvall

Profile:

This is a great thread, especially for a guy who is about a year out from affiliating.

A question for those who have the intro classes: Does completion of the classes require a certain level of ability in each of the movements... or merely attendance and attempts at the movements? Obviously some will be better at the movements than others and I'm curious if you have struggled getting some of them through the group classes or if after your initial classes everyone is pretty competent in each movement.

A question for those who don't have intro classes: Do you just toss these folks to the wolves and let them survive? I only have experience coaching 1-2 people at a time, and I have started day 1 with the squat, a tabata squat workout, and then slowly added skills through the first few weeks... I feel it has been fairly successful. When I eventually affiliate and open up to larger group classes I wonder if it will be sufficient, as successful, to get them doing the proper movements without my attention being quite as close.

A question for everyone: Coach often speaks to the slow ramping of intensity... How do each of you deal with this? Do you show the new folks the ropes and then not bother encouraging "few more reps" for a few weeks, letting them work it out for themselves merely instructing form? Do you give some of the newer folks workouts that are a little less demanding i.e. fewer reps, shorter time, lower weight??

Regarding pricing, I always saw it as pretentious to state "Call for pricing" and had always figured I'd post the price list online. But Skip makes a great point that we're different here and most won't understand what we're about until they show up. The first workout, or first week free is a great idea in my eyes and I'm sure I'll try to implement it into my plan. However, I like not having to call places to find things out... perhaps the phone doesn't get answered the first time, my cell minutes get used up, etc. I think I'll still post a price list online.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:52 PM   #25
paul f eich

Profile:

Skip, I"m paging through looking for your posts - they're highly informative. Any way to get a bunch of them without searching thread by thread?

I'm glad I stopped in to meet you in Mt. Baker, helped me to appreciate your success all the more. Best regards, Paul
Old 10-04-2007, 10:33 PM   #26
Stephen Cooper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Marin View Post
Word of mouth/referrals are the best way to build clientel. What ever your approach, three things are very important:

1) Be Honest
2) Make sure your clients/prospective clients NEVER feel manipulated or pressured.
3) Give people the best Damn workout they've ever had! Let them curse your name the next day while they struggle to get out of bed.

Remember what Coach said: "You find Excellence, the money will come to you."
Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth. I'm coming from a little different direction than many affiliates here. I've been a personal trainer for some time, but strictly 1 on 1... and have now adopted CF as my primary training method.

Most of my clients come from my clients, or through public speaking. I speak at the local city college from time to time for their "community classes". Nice practice for public speaking, good publicity, and always gets me a few clients.

I agree completely with Mike. If you are confident and excellent at producing the desired results for your clients, you can charge pretty much what you want. Of course your market and competition may come into play, but less than you may assume.

Hope that helps,
Coop
Old 10-07-2007, 09:11 AM   #27
Andy Petranek

Profile:

I'm a little late to the game on this thread... but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents...

The question I have is this: Do you want your community built around people looking for the best deal and/or cheap/inexpensive training who are coming to you because you're the best deal in town? I've ALWAYS been the most expensive in town... whether its been private training or group CrossFit classes. I know that the training I provide is absolutely worth it - I change people's lives - whats the price of that? But do people understand that from coming to our website? NO WAY! We've never posted our group class prices on our site. Then again, we're not looking for people shopping for cheap training. Membership to our gym is more expensive than the most expensive, most luxurious gyms like Equinox or Sports Club LA in town. Do you think people would get why from our web site?

We don't make any mention of our prices on our web site... in fact, we do our best not to discuss it on the phone when people call. Only after their first complimentary one-on-one introduction do we talk about prices and membership... because at this point in the process, at least most people get what they're buying - entry into to an exclusive community of people dedicated to making a difference and changing their lives while getting the best fitness coaching in the world.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:26 AM   #28
Brandon Oto

Profile:

You seem to be focusing on individuals who have "enough" money to spend but might try to penny-pinch. There are also a class of customers who actually can't afford some prices (like us poor college students), and for us the number isn't some frivolous, unimportant matter; we need to know that.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:27 PM   #29
Andy Petranek

Profile:

There are a lot of entry points into CrossFit - the first and foremost being CrossFit.com - it's free. We also provide tons of free info on our website. I can't speak for your situation specifically, but I've found that most of the time money is NOT the problem... it's perceived value. And that really can't be communicated on a web site. Of course there are exceptions...
Old 10-09-2007, 07:48 AM   #30
Monique T. Ames

Profile:

Don't forget about discounts. Lots of affiliates run discounts for special groups: students, LEOs, fire, mil etc. There are also probably family programs or discounts.