CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 05-23-2007, 12:11 PM   #21
John Seiler

Profile:
Rampage will have to look significantly better than he did against Eastman in UFC 67 to beat Chuck at the top of his game. But one never knows. Look at Chuck in their last fight or GSP against Serra. Those were not the fighters we are used to seeing. Anyone can have an off night.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:18 PM   #22
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Well, apparently Rampage also separated from his wife and is back to swearing and partying - so the "old" Rampage might indeed be back.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:55 PM   #23
Timothy Cox

Profile:
I'm a little confused as to some have suggested that Rampage could "upset" Chuck. As far as I'm concerned, a Rampage victory wouldn't be an upset considering how handily he beat Chuck last time. He's got the type of fighting style that matches up well with Chuck.....that and he's not afraid to take a shot from Chuck like Tito was.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:38 PM   #24
William Hunter

Profile:
The Vegas oddsmakers, last I heard, consider Chuck the favorite.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:56 PM   #25
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Yeah, if you look at what the two have done in the time since they last fought, that's the reason for Chuck's being the favorite. Since his loss to Rampage, Chuck has gone on to beat Babalu, Jeremy HOrn, Vernon White, Tito twice, and Randy twice.

Rampage, on the other hand had some good wins -- Arona, Minowa and Ninja Rua. But he also lost twice in devastating fashion to Wanderlei Silva. And in a lot of people's eyes lost to Lindland recently - at best it was a slim margin of a win against a smaller man. The general feeling is that he hasn't been the same mentally since his losses to Silva, not to mention all the interviews about the changes in his personal life and mental outlook on things.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:58 PM   #26
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Becca, who do you think's gonna win?
Old 05-24-2007, 06:27 AM   #27
Timothy Cox

Profile:
I understand that Vegas has to consider someone a fave, and I would agree that Chuck is the favorite, but a Rampage win is not really an upset per se.

Yes, Rampage lost to Silva, but we have yet to see how Silva and Chuck would match up......if Silva would whip himself into the shape he was in a few years ago. He seems too big and slow now. When he beat Rampage, he was arguable the baddest MMA fighter in that weight class.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:31 AM   #28
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Rampage also, for his strange reasons, fasted going into the Silva fight and was weak and low in energy. I think perhaps he's gotten some of the wierd ideas he had going out of his head and is training and eating properly this time around.

The latest MMAWeekly.com poll has Rampage as the #8 LHW and Chuck as the #1: http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...d=15&zoneid=15 (work/family safe)

Yael - I think it really depends on where they're both at mentally. If Rampage isn't intimidated and has been training properly, I think he can beat Chuck. Looking at records, fight styles, etc, I would lean toward Chuck being the actual winner, but on fan level, I'd love to see Rampage back to his old self and come out the winner.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:24 PM   #29
James Besenyei

Profile:
Even though I can see Rampage winning, Chuck is the best L-H.W. in the world right now, and Rampage beating him is an upset. Rampage will definitely have to look a heck of a lot sharper than he did against Eastman (as stated by John above) to win a title fight against Chuck.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:13 AM   #30
Timothy Cox

Profile:
I watched the UFC 71 special last night, and it seems that both buys are training harder than ever for this fight. Rampage is up there in Big Bear training. This has all the makings of a classic showdown.

It was pretty cool to see John Hackleman on there training Chuck. I didn't know who he was when I saw him in all those videos posted with the WOD.

A few of those guys were doing Crossfit type training in preparation for their fights. I thought that was pretty cool.