CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 05-05-2007, 02:04 PM   #61
Gary Turner

Profile:
Cheers guys!

Scott, here are the answers, lol!

1. Duck!
Lol!
If you look at the footage again, you'll see that I chose the wrong way to move. I should have moved to the right, away from his right, out of the 'power zone'. Excitement got the better of me! Tank has what we term a 'trigger move'. When he is hit, he instinctively throws the right. I hit him with a heavy overhand, and started to move. I wanted to angle and started the move by circling my rear foot around. At that point he struck incredibly fast and accurate and weighted, and I had no prop to resist from as my right foot was in the air - the end result was that I took no force from the punch, the energy was used by spinning me over onto the floor. I felt fine immediately following the punch, hence my perceived 'incredible recovery', and couldn't believe how bad it looked on tape - until I watched on slo-mo and saw the mechanics...

I know Tank is a fast started, so I wanted to fight him the same - my ego took over, rather than circling and running until he got tired. So to avoid similar mistakes my ego must take a back seat and strategy must be stuck too...next time, just secure the win, even if it isn't as macho as taking the fight to Tank!

2. I let Tank take my legs. When he grabbed you see no resistance, I ride it comfortably to the floor landing with hooks in position and therefore in control. Tank is infinitely stronger than me, and if I resisted, I may have ended in a position I didn't want. So I took the easy option, lol! Tank's not a grappler, I have lots of experience in grappling since 1976, so I knew I would be comfortable on the ground even with Tank on top.

On the ground, Tank's lungs were compressed, therefore not allowing him to take full breath, therefore further gassing. I had strong hooks, so all he had was to rub my head with his to start with.

However, if I wanted to try to resist the take down, have a look at my posture on the ropes. It was specifically designed to work against a much heavier opponent, giving postural strength rather than muscular strength, and giving room for legs to move. I was lipreading my corner's instructions (too much noise to hear, and my corner are disciplined to follow the rules and not run around the cage!) checking that they wanted me to keep Tank gassing and thats why I was looking to the side, but as any judoka will tell you, if you are in contact with your partner you know how they are moving. You don't need your eyes.

They may have said 'break', in which case I'd have used that space to slip out the side. If I didn't have the space I'd just be stuck on the cage...

Its a different posture to one I would use against an experienced wrestler.

Against Tank to resist I would attack, possibly with a guillotine, to distract, and hopefully give him a pause allowing me to drop posture and sprawl the leg grab. However I do think he would still be able to take me down from that posture, and I may not have landed with as much control as I actually did have.

I think the biggest lesson is one I already know. In answer 1 I failed the test, in answer 2 I passed - don't fight your opponent's fight - fight the strategy that will win!

Ah, good ol' ego...

Hope this is of interest!

Smiler
Old 05-06-2007, 06:21 AM   #62
Scott Borre

Profile:
Very much of interest! Thanks for the reply. Its great to get a breakdown from an experienced fighter. And yeah when I saw that punch and saw you spin I was thinking that you probably kept the punch from hurting so bad.

That's interesting about the double leg takedown. I hadn't thought about it that way. Maybe because other than some highschool wrestling I have no ground fighting experience. Next week perhaps I will if i go and start training in no-gi.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:48 AM   #63
Gary Turner

Profile:
No probs Scott, any time!

Though remember, I didn't mean to take the punch, and was lucky my foot was off the floor - though that was luck!

And although I just allowed Tank to take me to the floor, he only achieved it because he went for it...I just didn't try to stop him in order to get the safer position. In other words, he achieved the take down.

No gi is fun, I'm enjoying it, and it really is so different to the gi stuff I'm used to. I practice pummelling lots now, and collection of hooks the same way that I used to collect 'pockets' in a gi. So now I hook under the armpit, over the shoulder, round the neck, the top back of the head, the bicep, the tricep, the elbow joint, the wrist - anywhere where the hook can be achieved.

I've also found that using the TRX has really helped me with my no-gi grappling - using that machine you are in permanent hook position with the hands.

I think the best thing to take from the fight is that you must always fight your fight. I didn't to start with, and it was only a bit of luck with the foot and a tough jaw that gave me the opportunity to turn it around.

Best regards,

Smiler
Old 05-11-2007, 12:36 PM   #64
Bryan Edge

Profile:
That was awesome. Just found this thread. Congratz on the win. (It's even cooler that you actually post/reply here!)

I think Tank -- athlete or no -- needs some TankFit. :-)

Old 05-15-2007, 01:10 AM   #65
Gary Turner

Profile:
Thanks Bryan!

But remember, I'm no different to you or the others, just a fella trying to improve himself...

My opponent for Saturday has just pulled out, so no Cage Fight for me on Saturday...but still a busy year...just awaiting confirmation of my opponent for my Thai fight at the Shin do kumate in June...back at Cage Rage on 14th July and in September...and it looks like for you Americans there may be a shock opponent for me in September that will get the world talking, lol, but I can't give details...ah...the partial feed of information...

Smiler
Old 05-29-2007, 08:40 AM   #66
Dale F. Saran

Profile:
Smiler,
I just watched your fight and read this thread. Just wanted to offer my congratulations. It takes a lot of guts to step into the cage with anyone, as you well know. You took a mammoth shot from a guy who has been known to level people and stayed in there. Great job keeping your wits about you.

Yes, his conditioning was bad; but that's his fault, not yours. He took it on short notice. Look forward to your next fights. Class move at the end. That's what MMA should be.

Train hard, train smart, and always, always, circle away from his power, brother!! Man, you walked right into his wheelhouse.
Good luck.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:57 AM   #67
Gary Turner

Profile:
Lol, yeah, I was supposed to step to the right...

Mind you, I wasn't supposed to be there at all, supposed to move around hitting and moving until he gassed...then take advantage.

The ego took over, and instead I took the fight right to him...what a prat, lol!!! Shiner for my ego...

Smiler
Old 06-06-2007, 06:25 AM   #68
Dale F. Saran

Profile:
I was training yesterday and my best friend said, "There are no easy lessons on the mat. It's all learning the 'hard way'." You won't forget that again.